6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 11, 2015 8:22 AM by annikl98449594

How to re-name the folder with all photo masters

annikl98449594

After completing the migration from Aperture I want to re-name the folder that contains all my photos (about 37,000) on the external hard drive I used during migration. I named that folder “Aperture-Library_12-8-15,” thinking I could just change it later, but when I do, my LR catalog displays all those question marks. I know it’s possible to re-locate files (and I’ve watched tutorials on how to do that), but my question is: is there a best practice for doing this for an entire library?

• 1. Re: How to re-name the folder with all photo masters
          dj_paige Level 9

To fix the question marks, in Lightroom find the folder that is named “Aperture-Library_12-8-15”, right-click on it and select Find Missing Folder and point it to the newly renamed folder.

Adobe Lightroom - Find moved or missing files and folders

Better from now on to rename folders using Lightroom, or even better yet (BEST PRACTICE, IMHO) don't rename your folders and then you never have these problems and its less work than renaming.

• 2. Re: How to re-name the folder with all photo masters
            annikl98449594 Level 1

dj_paige, thank you for your help. I am still struggling because LR's folder structure is baffling me. I've watched a few more tutorials and will try again tomorrow, but the difference between Aperture and Lightroom is so huge that I fear it will take me more months to really figure this out. One question: is there a resource of good Lightroom consultants? I live in NYC and would like to find someone who can come to my studio and help me muddle through my confusion with folders and external drives. Thanks in advance.

• 3. Re: How to re-name the folder with all photo masters
              dj_paige Level 9

I'm not aware of any such resources (but that doesn't mean they don't exist)

The easiest solution for your problem with Lightroom;'s folder structure is to commit to doing all photo management from within Lightroom. Stop cold turkey using your operating system to manage your photos. All renaming, moving, deleting must be done in Lightroom. Problem solved.

• 4. Re: How to re-name the folder with all photo masters
                annikl98449594 Level 1

I'm totally ready to do everything within LR, the problem is that I'm not seeing the folder structure that everyone else seems to see. I migrated my Aperture library to the smaller (2TB) or two external drives and gave it a weird name (that applied to the migration process) thinking it would be easy to change the name & move the library to the 4TB faster drive later. That's what I'm struggling to do. (The main catalog is on my computer hard drive & backed up to the external drive).  I see the G-Drive where the migrated library is under Folders, but the master (parent) folder where all the images reside in subfolders is not evident, only zillions of subfolders. I can't find it, even when I right click on one of the internal subfolders and ask it to Show Parent Folder; that just shows the Parent Folder of the subfolder. In the top example, for the file named 2000-12-31, it shows 12, for December, which is the only month I shot in 2000; for other files it will show more folders representing the months I shot, which is the way Aperture migrated to LR. I've watched umpteen tutorials and I'm just flummoxed, which is why I'm hoping to find someone who can walk me through all this in person. I've attached screenshots to illustrate what I've tried to describe. Anyway, thank you for your time and patience, I do appreciate it.LR-Library-Module.jpgG-Drive+Aperture-Library_12-8-15 .jpg

• 5. Re: How to re-name the folder with all photo masters
                  dj_paige Level 9

You need to repeat the Show Parent command as many times as is necessary until you get to the top level of the hierarchy

• 6. Re: How to re-name the folder with all photo masters
                    annikl98449594 Level 1

ah, that makes sense. I will go back and try to work through this over the weekend. I very much appreciate your swift and expert advice.