6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 11, 2015 4:54 AM by rob day

Converting All Files At Once

stevek87926187

I am new to Creative Cloud, but not Adobe Indesign.  Normally when I would update a software suite all of the files associated with a particular program would automatically be assiciated with the newly loaded software version.  I have noticed that all of my "Indesign" files still have the CS4 icon, when I open a file and print it out, I am asked if I want to save it as a IDCC file.  It then makes me choose where to place the file and asks me if I want to get rid of the old file or keep both versions.  I understand that I could store the files on my hard drive or in my cloud account. 

My question is, is there a way to automatically convert all CS4 Indesign files over to IDCC files so I don't have to go through the manual process of placing the newly converted file into the correct folder each and every time I open a file (for the first time in IDCC)?  I want to keep all of my files on my local network for now and feel like I am missing something simple  Thanks you.

Steve

• 1. Re: Converting All Files At Once
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Short answer: No.

Longer answer: InDesign has always behaved this way. Opening a file created in an earlier version effectively creates a new file. Saving it actually launches the save as dialog and defaults to the last folder you used for a save as.

• 2. Re: Converting All Files At Once
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

You'd actually be well advised to NOT overwrite or delete the old versions. It's not that uncommon for converted files (especially when the originals are many versions older than the current one) to suddenly experience a fatal error. Backup storage is very cheap compared to the cost of rebuilding a long or complex document from scratch.

• 3. Re: Converting All Files At Once
              stevek87926187 Level 1

Thanks for the quick replies, I think I will create a new folder for just CC documents, that way I could save my original files and the new document too, separately.

• 4. Re: Converting All Files At Once
                AnneMarie Concepcion Adobe Community Professional

All that said, you can use Peter Kahrel's free Batch Convert script to do what you want.

Free script Batch convert/export InDesign documents | Peter Kahrel

The specific options you'd want:

- Choose any source (input) folder, but be sure to turn on the Include Subfolders checkbox. That way you could select your Documents folder or your Projects folder, and it'd run on all INDD files found inside. Or just run it on particular client folder to see how it does to start out with

- Leave the target (output) field blank, and turn on the Overwrite Existing Files checkbox.

-  Source format is INDD, Target format is INDD.

- Under Misc. turn on Save Changed Document on Closing

The end! This script does all sorts of wonderful things because it's so configurable.

AM

indesignsecrets.com

• 5. Re: Converting All Files At Once
                  stevek87926187 Level 1

Thanks AnneMarie,

I might try that.  My files aren't very involved where I would run into a ton of issues, I run an in-house Printing Services department at a hospital but have been using Indesign for many years.  Is it possible to create a new folder structure (including sub folders) where I could place all of the new IDCC files, while being able to archive mt CS4 files for future access in case something happens with a CC file?  Or, will the script just override the files and convert them, losing my original file forever?  I hope I'm being clear, thanks again, this forum has been such a great help.

• 6. Re: Converting All Files At Once
                    rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

My files aren't very involved where I would run into a ton of issues,

You can also deal with the conversion problem via a script during the save. Here are two AppleScripts (OSX only) I use. The first overwrites the original with no dialog to the same path (see Peter's warning), and the other saves a new file with a -2015 suffix to the same folder again with no dialog.

I usually commit to a new version once I start using it in production so I'm not worried about overwriting, so I assign the Command-S key command to the first script.

-----------------------------------

--Overwrites legacy version

tell application "Adobe InDesign CC 2015"

tell active document

--get the file's path and name

try

set filepath to file path & name as string

end try

--if it has been converted save to the same path with no dialog, otherwise save

if converted is true then

save to filepath

else

save

end if

end tell

end tell

----------------------------------

--Saves with -2015 suffix. Edit first line to change suffix

set a to "-2015"

tell application "Adobe InDesign CC 2015"

tell active document

--get the file's path and name and append

try

set n to name

set n to (characters 1 thru -6 of n as string) & a & ".indd"

set filepath to file path & n as string

end try

--if it has been converted save to the same path with no dialog, otherwise save

if converted is true then

save to filepath

else

save

end if

end tell

end tell