6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 19, 2015 8:19 AM by A.T. Romano

I can not open my project anymore in Premiere Elements (error message appears).

alishafoto997

Hi everyone,

I´m working on my holiday project at the moment. I have much video material from this holiday, so the final film will be about 20 minutes. After many hours of editing (over several days), an error message appeared, which said that there was a failure and it has to be closed now. Then, I tried to open the program again but the same error message appeared before the program could completely open.

Now, after many attemts, I have no idea, how I could open my project again. If I try to open other projects which aren´t finished yet, it works.

So, is it possible, that my project is too long? I don´t really think that this could be the reason..

Do I have to uninstall the software and install it again? If so, will my project be lost?

It really took me a long time to edit this video so far and it took a lot of effort, so it would be a shame if I can´t open it anymore.

I have a Windows 7 home Premium, 32bit,  Adobe Premiere 13, video material: AVI and MOV

It would be great if somebody could help me with this annoying problem!

Thank you,

Alisha

• 1. Re: I can not open my project anymore in Premiere Elements (error message appears).
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Alisha

Premiere Elements 13/13.1 on Windows 7 32 bit.

Because you are using Windows 7 32 bit instead of Windows 7 64 bit, your Premiere Elements is running as a 32 bit application with all the resource limitation that are associated with 32 bit system. Depending on the complexity and duration of the Timeline content you could run into editing as well as export difficulties.  What is your intended export for the Timeline content?

Nonetheless, let us explore the following to consider other factors that might be involved.

1. What type of .avi and .mov files do you have? What are the properties of these files and what have you set as the project preset?

Did the problems set in after you imported the avi then the mov or the mov then the avi, or did not it matter?

2. What effects are you applying to the files? Do you have a lot of titles?

3. Have you moved, deleted, or renamed an files and folders that you imported into the project after you saved closed reopened the project?

Are you confirming that, at this point, it is the 20 minute project that will not open?

4. Please take a look at the Adobe Document on troubleshooting damaged projects to determine if there is anything in that document that will help you.  https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-elements/kb/troubleshoot-damaged-projects-premiere-elemen ts.html

5. The general and usual questions...do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer with Premiere Elements, and are you running the programs as administrator (from user account with administrative privileges)? Is your video card/graphic card driver version up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the card? Does the problem exist with and without the antivirus and firewalls disabled?

Please consider. Any questions or need clarification on the above, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: I can not open my project anymore in Premiere Elements (error message appears).
            alishafoto997 Level 1

Hi ATR,

Ok, so my system isn´t really the best for using Premiere Elements?

What is your intended export for the Timeline content?

What do you mean with "intended export"?

1. .avi videos:

size: 640x424 , properties: data rate: 11546 kBit/s, total bit rate: 11722 kBit/s, frame rate: 24/s

.mov videos:

size: 1920x1080 ; properties: data rate: 25696 kBit/s, total bit rate: 27262 kBit/s, frame rate: 25/s

To be honest, I haven´t looked at the project preset (I´m new in this area).

The problems set in after I imported the avi then the mov.

2. I have some titles (for each day one, I had nine days) and at some videos I zoomed in. No other effects.

3. I´m not sure at this point, but I don´t think so.

4. Thx, will take a look

5.yes, I have the latest version of Quicktime and i´m running the program as administrator. I installed the new graphic card driver at the recommendation of the AMD website...

There is no difference when the antivirus is disabled.

I hope, my informations are all in all helpful, because I don´t understand much of computer stuff .

Thank you,

Alisha

• 3. Re: I can not open my project anymore in Premiere Elements (error message appears).
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Alisha

Thanks for the reply.

1. After you edit the Timeline content that you have imported, how do you want others to view it....

a. as a file which you saved to your computer hard drive and which you want others to view on a computer?

or

b as a burn to disc product - DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc, AVCHD on DVD disc, or Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc?

The Timeline content needs to exported for other to view your work on computer or TV with DVD player or Blu-ray player attached.

2. You have a "mixed" Timeline content and the Premiere Elements project can have only one project preset...when more than one import format, then you set priorities and fit the other into that priority. You appear to have

a. 640 x 424 @ 24 progressive frames per second

and

b. 1920 x 1080 @ could be 25 interlaced frames per second or 25 progressive frames per second.

If you let the project set automatically the project settings for you, you could have different project setting depending on which format you dragged to the Timeline first. If you dragged the 640 x 424 in first, I am not sure what the project did with that since there is no project preset for 640 x 424. The project setting may have been set as 1080i? So, best be determine what the project decided on...please tell us the readings for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, and Pixel Aspect Ratio (even if the files look grayed out). See Edit Menu/Project Settings/General.

3. If the problems set in after the addition of the .mov files into the project which already had avi files, then

What version of QuickTime did you install - 7.7.8 or other?

Your information was very helpful. Please try to find out what kind of .avi file - Xvid.avi, MotionJPEG.avi, DV.avi, or other.

Do you know if the .avi came from a camera or a screen capture program?

Please consider the above. Please do not hesitate to let me if you want me to explain something a different way. I will re-write if necessary. Major goals are to communicate and get you moving forward successfully with your Premiere Elements projects.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: I can not open my project anymore in Premiere Elements (error message appears).
                alishafoto997 Level 1

ATR

1. a) I want others to view it on my computer

2, Ok, thanks, that´s good to know. Maybe that was the reason... But after I took the .mov files in my timeline, there was no problem first. The problem appeared a few days later. I can´t tell you the project settings, because I can´t even open the project. When I want to open it, the error message appears.

3. I have Quick Time version 7.78.80.95

How can I find out, which kind of .avi file it is?  The. avi files are videos from my camera. I did not use a screen capture program.

Thank you for your help,

Alisha

• 5. Re: I can not open my project anymore in Premiere Elements (error message appears).
                  alishafoto997 Level 1

So I could finally open my project over the autosave. But after I tried to save my final project, the quality was really bad. I´m sure, it´s because of the "mixed" Timeline content. I think that I have to start the project again and set the project settings right.

At the moment, it´s on 1920x1080, which is the size of the .mov files but not the size of the .avi files which are 640x424. Like you said before, there is no option for this size in the project preset. What project preset do I have to choose ,then? I know, I could convert the .avi videos to 1920x1080, right? But, after that, which project preset do I have to choose? Since there is no option for mov files.

Thank you,

Alisha

• 6. Re: I can not open my project anymore in Premiere Elements (error message appears).
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Alisha

Apologizes. I lost sight of your thread in the forum traffic, and just found it in my email notifications.

Premiere Elements 13/13.1 on Windows 7 32 bit.

Once you opened the project from one of the Auto Saves, were you able to find the project settings under Edit Menu/Project Settings/General, using the information in the following fields: Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, Pixel Aspect ratio (even if the fields looked grayed out)? I am guessing that it got set to 1080i which would have imported the .avi into the project with black borders but imported the .mov into the project so that .mov filled the space in the monitor in the area where you were editing.

What brand/model/settings did you use for the camera that gave you the .mov files? Did you ever say what type of .avi files that you have...DV.avi, Xvid.avi, MotionJpeg.avi, or other?

Pending further information, I am pointing to project preset (set manually if necessary - File Menu/New/Project and Change Settings) of

PAL

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p25

But, if you import one of the .mov files into the project first (and drag it to the Timeline as the first time first drag to Timeline), the project should automatically set the project preset to the right project preset....1080i or 1080p. Then when you import the .avi, either go with the black borders for them or try to scale them in the monitor to fill the monitor space, leaving no black borders.

Please consider, and fill in the details. I will watch for your posts daily so that we can get your video created to be on time for Christmas.

Thanks.

ATR