5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 5, 2016 5:43 AM by RjL190365

Advise needed on Upgrading Workstation

ranvirs29786504

I am going to upgrade my workstation but I have a limited budget I am going with i7 4790k with 16 gigs of RAM etc. But I haven't got any money left for any graphic card. So my question is can after effects work without a graphic card? or I have to buy one to work with after effects.

My Current config is

Operating System

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1

CPU

Intel Core i5 4200U @ 1.60GHz 48 °C

Haswell ULT 22nm Technology

RAM

6.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-11-28)

Motherboard

Dell Inc.

Graphics

Intel HD Graphics Family (Dell)

2048MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 8600M Series (Dell)

CrossFire Disabled

It's a notebook and i am upgrading to a desktop.

Also suggest anymore cost efficient config for my setup.

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Advise needed on Upgrading Workstation
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

After Effects uses the GPU for very little. See this page: GPU (CUDA, OpenGL) features in After Effects

So, unless you're one of the few people who use the obsolete ray-traced renderer, you don't need a dedicated GPU for After Effects. See the After Effects System Requirements page.

Now, if you work with Premiere or you plan to use third-party plugins for AE that need a GPU (like Red Giant Universe, Element 3d, etc.), you should definitely get a dedicated GPU, so check their requirements. You don't need to break the bank for a Quadro or something like that though! An older GTX 700 series card would work or you could get a mid-range GTX 900 series card and be just fine. Again, check the requirements for Premiere and any AE plugin you might want to use.

Also, 16 GB isn't much RAM in the world of After Effects. Considering how cheap RAM is, I'd recommend bumping that number up a bit, if you can.

• 2. Re: Advise needed on Upgrading Workstation
            ranvirs29786504 Level 1

Hi! Thanks for the response,

Now I am going for a GTX750 Ti. Is this card adobe certified for Ae ? Because I read somewhere that Adobe tests some cards and then certify them for their products and also is there any difference if I buy a Msi or ASUS or Zotac or EVGA.?

Now My new workstations specs are:

Intel i7 4790k Processor

24 GB RAM

120GB SSD 2TB HDD

ASUS Z97-K Motherboard

GTX750 Ti 2GB

Please suggest any changes..

THANKS in ADVANCE.

• 3. Re: Advise needed on Upgrading Workstation
              Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

ranvirs29786504 wrote:

Now I am going for a GTX750 Ti. Is this card adobe certified for Ae ? Because I read somewhere that Adobe tests some cards and then certify them for their products

The list of certified cards is included in the System Requirements link I gave you in my first response.

That card is not on that list as certified for acceleration of the ray-traced renderer in AE.

Adobe is not testing cards for After Effects anymore. They used to, but they haven't been for a couple of years now. Since the ray-traced renderer is now obsolete, they don't have any need to test cards since the GPU isn't used for much of anything.

So, unless you're planning to use the ray-traced renderer, ignore AE's "certification" requirements. Worry about Premiere Pro (if you use it) or any third-party plugins for AE that might use the GPU. Anything that works for them will work for normal AE use.

• 4. Re: Advise needed on Upgrading Workstation
                Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you really want to make that system fly read below:

ASUS  specifications

Intel® Z97 chipset :

1 x M.2 Socket 3, with M Key, type 2260/2280 storage devices support (both SATA & PCIE mode)

Get your self either a Samsung 950 Pro or a SM951 SSD large enough for all your current project files and media.  These new PCIe X4 SSD's are many, many times faster than your hard drive and will make editing smooth as silk.

• 5. Re: Advise needed on Upgrading Workstation
                  RjL190365 Level 4

Actually, the Z97 will not be able to run any PCI-e NVMe SSD at anywhere near its advertised speeds. In fact, the maximum practical write speed of such a device on a Z97 system is barely any faster than a SATA III AHCI SSD. This is because the m.2 slot on a Z97 board operates at only PCI-e 2.0 x2 bandwidth, a consequence of such a slot connected to the PCH instead of directly to the CPU.