21 Replies Latest reply on Aug 19, 2016 5:05 PM by trshaner

Saving a RAW file into a large jpg

Saasykassy1234

I used to have cs3 on my computer. Then my computer had water damage. So I downloaded a trial version of your Lightroom in Photoshop cloud. I uploaded raw  images played around with the application and send them out as large format jpgs. Unfortunately the jpegs only saved out as 1.5 megabytes. I cannot give that to my clients. I have never had this problem when I have the software installed on my computer from a cd. I could play around and still save as large jpgs after doing several different things to the photo and they still turn out to be 9 or 10 megabytes. Then my computer had water damage. So I downloaded a trial version of your light room and Photoshop cloud. I use raw images played around with the application in save them out as large format Jpegs . Unfortunately the Jpegs only saved out as 1.5 megabytes. I cannot give that to my clients. I have never had this problem when I have the software installed on my computer. I have always edited raw photos and still save the Jpegs after doing several different things to the photo and they still turn out to be 9 or 10 megabytes. Please help what do I do I've already worked on my photos and I don't want to lose hours worth of work.is it because I'm only using the trial version?

• 1. Re: Saving a RAW file into a large jpg
          Per Berntsen Adobe Community Professional

File size is not a good indicator of image quality, pixel dimensions are.

What are the pixel dimension of the raw file?

What are the pixel dimension of the jpg?

What quality did you save at?

File sizes for jpgs will vary a great deal, depending on image content, sharpening and noise.

Flat images with little detail will be small, images with lots of sharp detail will be bigger.

• 2. Re: Saving a RAW file into a large jpg
            dj_paige Level 9

Can I repeat the very wise words of Per Berntsen?

Now, as far as your comment "Unfortunately the Jpegs only saved out as 1.5 megabytes. I cannot give that to my clients."

You cannot judge the photo by megabytes. If you LOOK AT the photo, you will see it is most likely fine, and your clients won't have the slightest problem with it. LOOK AT the photo and judge the quality that way.

• 3. Re: Saving a RAW file into a large jpg
              wobertc Adobe Community Professional

One hint: Do NOT tick the [Resize] box in the export dialog!

• 4. Re: Saving a RAW file into a large jpg
                ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

Also, 80-90% in the "quality" slider is a good spot in LR exporting (10-11 in PS).

Obviously, cropping too much will greatly reduce the (important) pixel dimensions as well as the (unimportant) file size.

• 5. Re: Saving a RAW file into a large jpg
                  Keith_Reeder Level 4

As other have said, file size tells you nothing useful.

Why not give your clients 16 bit tiffs, if you want to maximise the quality of the exported file?

• 6. Re: Saving a RAW file into a large jpg
                    Saasykassy1234 Level 1

Thanks for input. I was able to save as a dng. That I opened them one by one, ( couldn't figure out batch processing) and save them out within raw preview as a large jpeg.  That what I have always done in past.  It's just getting use to navigating between light room to photoshop I guess. But first time doing all online.  Still not quite sure what u did yo get to hat set up, but either way it was exactly what I was looking todo.

Thanks for help.

• 7. Re: Saving a RAW file into a large jpg
                      JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

dj_paige wrote:

Can I repeat the very wise words of Per Berntsen?

Now, as far as your comment "Unfortunately the Jpegs only saved out as 1.5 megabytes. I cannot give that to my clients."

You cannot judge the photo by megabytes. If you LOOK AT the photo, you will see it is most likely fine, and your clients won't have the slightest problem with it. LOOK AT the photo and judge the quality that way.

Although I can generally agree with your observation that file size is not a good indicator, I can still understand the original concern. If I take a typical 24 MP raw image from my camera that is typically in the 27 MB file size range and export it as a JPEG image with the quality set to 100, the JPEG's usually range in size from 10-12 MB. It seems that the image would have to have very little detail to be reduced down as small as they are being reported. And I have seen this mentioned a couple of times previously. Surely there must be some other setting or some other procedure that would cause the files to be that small.

• 8. Re: Saving a RAW file into a large jpg
                        dj_paige Level 9

Yes, that's true JimHess. The issue is that you shouldn't look at the file size, you should look at the number of pixels (width and height) in the exported photo, the export settings, and the actual exported JPG photo, all of which has been mentioned in this thread.

• 9. Re: Saving a RAW file into a large jpg

Yes, I agree. But even so, if the pixel size seems to be correct doesn't it seem a bit suspect for the file size to be 1.5 MB? It seems to be a bit strange to me, and I can understand the concern expressed by the original question.

• 10. Re: Saving a RAW file into a large jpg
                            trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Photoshop and Lightroom use the same JPEG Bicubic conversion algorithm. There is no need to use PS for this purpose. The Lightroom Export module is used for creating JPEG and other file format output. PS and LR also use the same 13 Quality settings, but with different number scales as follows:

JPEG QUALITY SETTINGS

Photoshop        Description       Lightroom

0                      Low                  0-7%

1                      Low                  8-15%

2                      Low                  16-23%

3                      Low                  24-30%

4                      Low                  31-38%

5                      Med                  39-46%

6                      Med                  47-53%

7                      Med                  54-61%

8                      High                 62-69%

9                      High                 70-76%

10                    Max                  77-84%

11                    Max                  85-92%

12                    Max                  93-100%

How to export photos from Photoshop Lightroom

There's also a tutorial video at the above link.

• 11. Re: Saving a RAW file into a large jpg

That's good information. But I did just use Photoshop in the following experiment. I photographed a blank white computer screen. No detail whatsoever. The NEF file was 27.5 MB. The JPEG image saved from Photoshop, quality level set at 10, was 1.7 MB. So in the case of the original question, the image size over which concern was expressed would seem to have had to have very little detail in it in order to be compressed to 1.5 MB.

• 12. Re: Saving a RAW file into a large jpg

Saasykassy1234 wrote:

It's just getting use to navigating between light room to photoshop I guess. But first time doing all online.

The Lightroom desktop application runs on a desktop or laptop system. Lightroom Mobile runs on a mobile device (iPad, iPhone, etc.). You Import camera image files into LR Desktop and then use the Export module to create output files (i.e. JPEG, TIFF, PSD). Optionally you can upload image files to the Cloud or simply keep them stored on your hard drive. You only need to upload image files to the Cloud if using LR Mobile or sharing the original camera images online. With a free trial you are limited to 2GB of Cloud storage and the Photography plan provides 20GB, which is not a lot of storage when using camera raw files. Lightroom is a non-destructive photo editor, which works quite differently than PS. Much more information here:

Lightroom tutorials | Learn how to use Photoshop Lightroom

• 13. Re: Saving a RAW file into a large jpg
                                  ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

One of the big changes that greatly reduces the file size going from raw to JPG is the reduction in color sizes. Raw files are usually using 14-16 bit colors for each RGB sub-value where JPG is 8-bit for each red, green, and blue value. That right there will cut the file size by 1/3 to 1/2.

Then you get the JPG lossy compression on top of that.

• 14. Re: Saving a RAW file into a large jpg
                                    doesn't it seem a bit suspect for the file size to be 1.5 MB?

Yes, you're right. But the OP never told us the pixel dimensions of the image, nor did he post a screenshot of it.

There was a similar thread - Image size decrease - where it turned out that the image came from an 8 MP camera, had large flat areas, and was in black & white.

I did a little test myself exporting a 24 MP image at 100% quality in color and b&w, and the b&w version is about 25% smaller, probably because all three channels are identical.

Jpg filesize.png

• 15. Re: Saving a RAW file into a large jpg
                                      juliek65839535

This video has nothing to do with exporting for printing the larger jpeg files which is what everyone in talking about.

• 16. Re: Saving a RAW file into a large jpg

I'm sorry, but I don't understand your question. Please tell us exactly what you are trying to do and perhaps we can provide assistance. Thank you.

• 17. Re: Saving a RAW file into a large jpg
                                          juliek65839535 Level 1

Sorry I am trying to save a file that will given to a client that is large enough to print at great quality at 11 X 14 size.

Julie

• 18. Re: Saving a RAW file into a large jpg

OK, that requires two-steps:

1) Since most camera are 2:3 aspect ratio you will need to crop the image file using an 11x14 Aspect ratio. Click on the Crop tool, click on the double-arrow next to Aspect, select 'Enter Custom, and enter the values 11 x 14. Adjust the position of the crop to your preference.

2) Next go to File> Export and enter the below values:

This will provide a file that is suitable for most print services.

• 19. Re: Saving a RAW file into a large jpg

Assuming that the required ppi  (pixels per inch) for printing is 300, the pixel dimensions will need to be 3300 x 4200 for an 11 x 14 print.

The math behind this is: 11 x 300 = 3300, and 14 x 300 = 4200.

So if you export the file at minimum these pixel dimensions, you should be OK. provided that your original is at least 3200 x 4200 pixels. Select the image in Library, and look at Dimensions in the Metadata panel ot find out the pixel dimensions.

You can also enter dimensions in inches in the export dialog, but if your original does not have 11 x 14 proportions (it probably doesn't), you have crop it to 11 x 14 proportions in Lightroom first, if you want an image that's exactly 11 x 14 inches.

For instance, a typical DSLR image will have the proportions 2:3, and will print at 9.33 x 14 inches uncropped.

• 20. Re: Saving a RAW file into a large jpg
                                                juliek65839535 Level 1

Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

I'm really excited to have Adobe CC and want this to work out.

Below step number 2 there are no values

listed.  There is just nothing there.

And FYI should have mentioned I

am shooting with a Nikon D750 in raw.

Thanks again,

Julie

• 21. Re: Saving a RAW file into a large jpg

juliek65839535 wrote:

Below step number 2 there are no values

listed. There is just nothing there.

It is a screenshot of the Export module settings.Try checking this forum post on your computer system. You should be able to see it.

juliek65839535 wrote:

And FYI should have mentioned I

am shooting with a Nikon D750 in raw.

The Nikon D750 has more than enough resolution for an 11" X 14" 300 dpi print without scaling beyond its native resolution (4016 x 6016 pixels).