10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 1, 2016 12:27 PM by Just Shoot Me

Doing everything in Photoshop but using Lightroom as an organizer? Still Raw or not?

BlueCosmo5050 Level 1

Hello,

I have noticed that a lot of the tools work better on Photoshop than Lightroom. For example the spot healing brush, I can do 100's of them and my machine doesn't slow down at all. I know it uses my hard drive as a scratch disk as well. I have a top of the line Macbook, but Lightroom slows down after so many. I have also learned how to do a lot more in Photoshop.

The problem is, I don't want to just keep my files in a folder where I can't have collections, smart previews, etc. I don't want to use Adobe Bridge. I want to use Lightroom as a way to organize my Raw files. When I save the file in Photoshop it of course saves back in Lightroom a .Tiff file. Here is the issue: When I send it to photoshop it's a .Tiff file and not a Raw file correct? So, it's not a good idea to use the camera raw filter on it?

I've been told the .tiff is better than using .PSD. I know if I open as smart object, it's non destructive. But once I hit save and it sends it back to Lightroom it's now baked in the .Tiff file isn't it? I do everything in layers, for example the healing brush tool is done in a layer.

I would like to just open the Raw in Photoshop but then I have nowhere to organize like I want or does this matter that much? I use another program called Aurora HDR PRO which came out with a new plugin the other day that allows me to open the actual original Raw files from Lightroom, not a .Tiff like the previous plug in and then when I save it, it will save back in Lightroom as a .Tiff. But I'm not sending over the Raw file to Photoshop.

Or must it be tiff or go through Adobe Camera raw before it can even go into the regular photoshop layout anyway?

• 1. Re: Doing everything in Photoshop but using Lightroom as an organizer? Still Raw or not?
          Akash Sharma Adobe Employee

Hi BlueCosmo

Thanks for your Detailed Thread.

I have noticed that a lot of the tools work better on Photoshop than Lightroom. For example the spot healing brush, I can do 100's of them and my machine doesn't slow down at all. I know it uses my hard drive as a scratch disk as well. I have a top of the line Macbook, but Lightroom slows down after so many. I have also learned how to do a lot more in Photoshop.
          • Which version of Lightroom are you using?
          • Try disabling the GPU usage from Preferences>Performance
          • Restart Lightroom and check

The problem is, I don't want to just keep my files in a folder where I can't have collections, smart previews, etc. I don't want to use Adobe Bridge. I want to use Lightroom as a way to organize my Raw files. When I save the file in Photoshop it of course saves back in Lightroom a .Tiff file. Here is the issue: When I send it to photoshop it's a .Tiff file and not a Raw file correct? So, it's not a good idea to use the camera raw filter on it?

I've been told the .tiff is better than using .PSD. I know if I open as smart object, it's non destructive. But once I hit save and it sends it back to Lightroom it's now baked in the .Tiff file isn't it? I do everything in layers, for example the healing brush tool is done in a layer.

I would like to just open the Raw in Photoshop but then I have nowhere to organize like I want or does this matter that much? I use another program called Aurora HDR PRO which came out with a new plugin the other day that allows me to open the actual original Raw files from Lightroom, not a .Tiff like the previous plug in and then when I save it, it will save back in Lightroom as a .Tiff. But I'm not sending over the Raw file to Photoshop.

Or must it be tiff or go through Adobe Camera raw before it can even go into the regular photoshop layout anyway?

Lightroom can only open your raw Files and edit them but it canonly save them as DNG,Jpeg.It sends your Raw Files to Photoshop as a Tiff/Psd(you can change this behaviour from Preferences>External editing ) when to select "Edit in Photoshop".

In the end you get your Orignal raw and a Tiff/PSD file you edited in Photoshop.The only way to edit Raw file In Camera raw directly is to use Photoshop directly,otherwise you need to edit the file from Lightroom in Camera raw.This article discusses in detail Lightroom or Photoshop Camera Raw - Improve Photography.

I'll recommend you to keep using your current workflow of:-

• Using Lightroom to import raw images
          • Edit them in Photoshop as tiff/psd
          • Save back in Lightroom
          • Export them as DNG/Jpeg in the end.

You could also  share your Feature requests for Ps/Lr with us here Photoshop Family Customer Community

Regards

Akash

• 2. Re: Doing everything in Photoshop but using Lightroom as an organizer? Still Raw or not?
            BlueCosmo5050 Level 1

I use the newest version of everything. I turn the GPU off as I was told that before. It seems that the heal brush in Lightroom is only made to do a few things. In Photoshop, it will do 100's of them with no slow downs. I'm not speaking of it in camera Raw, but in the regular Photoshop workspace.

I guess I will continue to do it this way and just edit the Raw file in Lightroom. I was hoping to get the Raw file into Photoshop. But I can't leave Lightroom because of the organizing.

It would be good to have a  feature that, "Send original raw file to Photoshop." Aurora HDR Pro has this feature in their plugin like I said. You can send it as a tiff but you can also tell it to open the original Raw files right from Lightroom into Aurora. Which is nicer than editing Tiffs in Aurora. I get 32 bit Raw file  in Aurora.

• 3. Re: Doing everything in Photoshop but using Lightroom as an organizer? Still Raw or not?
              Akash Sharma Adobe Employee

Well in that case you can use  XMP(file containing your edits in Lightroom) with your Orignal raw file

See A Lightroom Tip That Could Save You - Photography Concentrate

~Akash

• 4. Re: Doing everything in Photoshop but using Lightroom as an organizer? Still Raw or not?
                katec48344263

Can I just get what your saying right please. I only shoot RAW. but I cannot open raw files in photoshop using camera raw from Lightroom. I have to find the file manually and open it directly in Photoshop.

I came here thinking I was not seeing how to do this only to find I can't evidently. Can you confirm please.

• 5. Re: Doing everything in Photoshop but using Lightroom as an organizer? Still Raw or not?
                  katec48344263 Level 1

Okay, I have extended my workflow using Bridge for the raw files and using the resultant file in Lightroom for its fantastic organising ability and other great features. Thanks for the forum topic , I'm sorted.

• 6. Re: Doing everything in Photoshop but using Lightroom as an organizer? Still Raw or not?
                    Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

katec48344263 wrote:

Can I just get what your saying right please. I only shoot RAW. but I cannot open raw files in photoshop using camera raw from Lightroom. I have to find the file manually and open it directly in Photoshop.

I came here thinking I was not seeing how to do this only to find I can't evidently. Can you confirm please.

You can send RAW files from LR to PS. Right click on the image and select Edit In then Photoshop (your version number) and the RAW file is sent to PS with any and all edits you have done in LR. About the only time this won't happen is if you are using an older version of PS and a new version of LR and the ACR version numbers don't match and or the ACR version in PS doesn't support the camera model the image came from. Then all the LR edits will be baked into a TIFF or PSD file (as you have specified in the external editor area of the LR preferences) and sent to PS.

Even though a RAW file can and will be sent to PS, with matching ACR versions between LR and PS, and you can do all kinds of edits on that RAW file in PS you can't save those edits back to the RAW file. When picking Save or using Ctrl/Command + S it will save the file in either TIFF or PSD as you have specified in the external editor section of LR.

• 7. Re: Doing everything in Photoshop but using Lightroom as an organizer? Still Raw or not?
                      JoeKostoss Level 4

katec48344263 wrote:

Okay, I have extended my workflow using Bridge for the raw files and using the resultant file in Lightroom for its fantastic organising ability and other great features. Thanks for the forum topic , I'm sorted.

No need to use Bridge.  In Lightroom, you can "Open as Smart Object in Photoshop".  Once in Photoshop, double click on the layer icon to open in Camera Raw.  However, it will return to LR as a tiff of psd file.

Screenshot 2016-01-01 08.09.03.png

• 8. Re: Doing everything in Photoshop but using Lightroom as an organizer? Still Raw or not?
                        katec48344263 Level 1

Thank you Joe Kostoss. Thats what I wanted to do. Brilliant. I am one with sending back a tiff to Lightroom, I do that anyway. I just like to process the raw file using Camera Raw. Very grateful for your answer. Thanks.

• 10. Re: Doing everything in Photoshop but using Lightroom as an organizer? Still Raw or not?
                          Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

katec48344263 wrote:

Thank you Joe Kostoss. Thats what I wanted to do. Brilliant. I am one with sending back a tiff to Lightroom, I do that anyway. I just like to process the raw file using Camera Raw. Very grateful for your answer. Thanks.

LR is using Adobe Camera RAW, it is built into LR.