3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 10, 2009 6:41 AM by Rector_D

director or fireworks?

worxxx
      i need a tool for creating mockups - but i have a very high standard and i want only ONE tool who does it all, not several ones.

What I have in mind is:

1) mockups for websites, including functionality simulation (navigation, popups etc.)
      2) detailed mockups for GUIs of non-web applications, without any limitations, neither graphical nor functional. That means, I would like to be able to mockup any software tool available on today's market with this software.

Can I do this in Fireworks, or do I need Director?

any help is highly appreciated
        • 1. Re: director or fireworks?
          Level 7
          worxxx wrote:
          > i need a tool for creating mockups - but i have a very high standard
          > and i want only ONE tool who does it all, not several ones.

IMNSHO, you have chosen the wrong standard. The ONE tool you want is a
          computer with various programs on it, in the same way you might have one
          toolbox with several tools in it.

> What I have in mind is:
          >
          > 1) mockups for websites, including functionality simulation
          > (navigation, popups etc.)
          > 2) detailed mockups for GUIs of non-web applications, without any
          > limitations, neither graphical nor functional. That means, I would
          > like to be able to mockup any software tool available on today's
          > market with this software.

How is that different from the real thing?

I wish I was given mock-ups containing full functionality...

Maybe you need to look into Dreamweaver, Visual Studio or Xcode for your
          "mock-ups", or perhaps you mean you want a prototyping tool, in which case
          Director could serve you well, although you will still need another program
          for producing the graphics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mock-up

Actually, it is easy to mock-up the appearance of a program with Visual
          Studio: just drag-and-drop items from the toolbox onto a form and type in
          whatever labelling is desired. Adding functionality would be changing it
          from a mock-up to the real thing.

Andrew

• 2. Re: director or fireworks?
            worxxx Level 1
            thanks for this reply, actually due to the fact that english is not my mother tongue i got confused - it's really more about prototypes, rather than mockups.
            i read the other day that apple built prototypes of their new Leo OSX with simulation of function and great design using adobe creator, that's where the idea came from...
            • 3. Re: director or fireworks?
              Rector_D
              Director is a great tool for prototyping, and is used a lot for it. It's native graphic editor leaves a lot to be desired though, so I'd get Director AND Fireworks, for instance. That said, personally I have used Director's built in standard shapes and it's graphic editor 'Paint' (not MS Paint) quite a lot for exactly this purpose, building up the typical system dialog boxes on the Stage and taking a screendump of that into Paint (Director) for cropping and further editing... Things like that are easier to do internally in Director than in Photoshop IMO.