12 Replies Latest reply on Mar 23, 2009 3:45 AM by Xposure Interactive

UID / SID

Xposure Interactive
      How could I access the UID (or SID) on a usb flash drive? I want to use the UID to authenticate that the program is on one of my USB flash drives and then use it to authenticate data passed to a web form.
        • 1. UID / SID
          Chunick Level 3
          A few ideas:
          1. check out the Mile High Table O' Products.
          2. Find a command line utility and use Valentin's Shell Xtra to interact with it.
          3. Download the XDK and build your own Xtra or have someone build you a custom one.
          • 2. Re: UID / SID
            Level 7

"Xposure Interactive" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
            news:gmpf8e$jur$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > How could I access the UID (or SID) on a usb flash drive? I want to
            > use the UID
            > to authenticate that the program is on one of my USB flash drives
            > and then use
            > it to authenticate data passed to a web form.
            >

put baDiskInfo("D:", "number")

?

Richard

• 3. Re: UID / SID
              Chunick Level 3
              quote:

?
              Richard

... but that'd be the easy way, and why make life easy when you can make it harder than it should be ;-)

• 4. Re: UID / SID
                Level 7
                on HDs, baDiskInfo is the same for cloned disks, so it can't return a
                real "unique" ID wich could serve real authentification, saddly :/
                • 5. Re: UID / SID
                  Xposure Interactive Level 1
                  quote:

Originally posted by: Chunick
                  3. Download the XDK and build your own Xtra or have someone build you a custom one.

Do you know anyone who can perform this task for me? (I have already followed your mediamacros link)
                  • 6. UID / SID
                    quote:

Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
                    on HDs, baDiskInfo is the same for cloned disks, so it can't return a
                    real "unique" ID wich could serve real authentification, saddly :/

Do you mean 'if the usb disk was cloned then it would have the same UID'?
                    • 7. Re: UID / SID
                      Applied CD Level 1
                      You might want to look at U3 enabled flash drives. These drives provide environment variables that will let you authenticate the media. I’m not saying it will be easy, you’ll still need an xtra because the environment variables are made available to C programmers, not directly accessible in Director. On top of that, we tested a concept of using these drives as give-aways with preloaded advertising and I found the U3 launcher alone to be incredibly annoying, much less having advertising dumped on top … but … if you’re putting something useful on the drive then maybe U3 will be a solution for you.
                      • 8. Re: UID / SID
                        Level 7

"Applied CD" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                        news:gnk4hg$cth$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                        > You might want to look at U3 enabled flash drives. These drives
                        > provide
                        > environment variables that will let you authenticate the media. I?m
                        > not saying
                        > it will be easy, you?ll still need an xtra because the environment
                        > variables
                        > are made available to C programmers, not directly accessible in
                        > Director. On
                        > top of that, we tested a concept of using these drives as give-aways
                        > with
                        > preloaded advertising and I found the U3 launcher alone to be
                        > incredibly
                        > annoying, much less having advertising dumped on top ? but ? if
                        > you?re putting
                        > something useful on the drive then maybe U3 will be a solution for
                        > you.

Hi,
                        the U3 launcher, is that a sort of "autorun" thingie? :( :(

If so, then I am already having deja-vues....

Richard

• 9. UID / SID
                          quote:

quote:

?

I just got my drives with their UIDs. Unfortunately the baDiskInfor function did not return the UID.

Any ideas?
                          • 10. Re: UID / SID
                            Level 7

"Xposure Interactive" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                            news:gptajl$c07$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                            >
                            quote:

>
                            quote:

> put baDiskInfo("D:", "number")
                            >
                            > ?
                            > Richard
                            >

> ... but that'd be the easy way, and why make life easy when you can
                            > make it
                            > harder than it should be ;-)
                            >
                            >

>
                            > I just got my drives with their UIDs. Unfortunately the baDiskInfor
                            > function
                            > did not return the UID.
                            >
                            > Any ideas?
                            >

Ehm,
                            what exactly IS this UID?

Are we talking about the same thing? I doubt it.

Richard

• 11. Re: UID / SID
                              jonnno
                              hi XI,

dunno how u feel about rolling up ur C programming sleeves but you can create a little win32 dll and call it from DR using the DllBinderPro xtra:
                              http://www.the-mindseye.co.uk/DllBinder/DllBinder_pro.shtml

a quick google provided this link to some free c source that should basically do the job :
                              http://www.programming-is-fun.com/2008/08/retrieve-unique-identifier-for-usb-key.html

gl
                              • 12. UID / SID
                                quote:

Originally posted by: Newsgroup User

Ehm,
                                what exactly IS this UID?

Are we talking about the same thing? I doubt it.

Richard

It is a unique identifier added to the usb stick during the manufacturing process.

Re Jonno: Thanks for that. I know nothing about C but i'll certainly give it a go. I am trying to avoid the need to copy anything to the users machine from the stick though.