If you post the particulars of your current problem, there are a number of forum users who are very familiar with the ins and outs (and issues) of InDesign Data Merge, and we may be able to help you.
I'm having troubles with Data merge as well. I posted my question but haven't heard anything useful yet.
I created a .csv file & merged successfully yesterday. Tried to add content to it and do another merge today and it says 'the data source can not be opened. Confirm the file exists and that you have the rights to open it and select open data source again'.
I've tried re-saving the excel spreadsheet in both .xlsx and .xls as well as html and tried re-saving again as a .csv but get the same error message each time!
I don't know if it's Adobe or Microsoft at this stage but I'm pulling my hair out too
Just a stab in the dark, but did you close the .csv file before connecting to it?
I've found a kind of a workaround.
I don't have trouble opening .CSV files, it is what happens after loading that gives me this now longstanding problem. Text boxes get misplaced when the merge takes place. All sorts of formatting errors. Grrrrr!
What seems to mess things up is the 'preview' part of data merge. So, what I do is do the data merge without previewing it (the little check box in the data merge dialogue box). This means you have to have several attempts at merging to get it right. Time consuming but you can get there.
I do a lot of merging of people's data (name, address, telephone number and so on) - address cards if you like. One thing that really messes this up is if there is a line space/return in the Excel cell. When you do your data merge you'll find that format characters in the Excel cells can really screw things up. Also, I find that if you have a name like O'Reilly or O'Neill then the apostrophe can upset the InDesign data merge process. I've been suffering these problems for years now.
The data merge problems are, I believe, well known but Adobe doesn't seem to want to fix these problems. The image uploading problem persists (despite the recent Apple update). This means I have only upgraded one of my computers to the new Apple operating system and the rest remain on the old operating system. I am sure Apple really wants us to do this. This means that I now have communication problems between my main (Apple OS upgraded) computer and the rest. This, to my way of thinking, is a sorry advert for both Apple and Adobe and leaves me wondering if these two companies every talk to each other? I would be delighted if Adobe would comment - other than to say they are working on the problem.
Christmas is coming. Maybe Apple and Adobe will do something to surprise us all.
Also, I find that if you have a name like O'Reilly or O'Neill then the apostrophe can upset the InDesign data merge process. I've been suffering these problems for years now.
Try using a tab-delimited file instead of comma separated values (CSV).
and if you used Preview on a multiple records per page merge your template file is probably irreversibly damaged. Copy the placeholders to a new file and try again without the preview.
Agree. thank you. Can't understand why this wasn't fixed long ago....
Adobe is aware of problems in Data Merge, and they seem to be actively trying to fix them, but of course only for the latest release.