9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 13, 2015 8:41 PM by A.T. Romano

DVD size smaller than on my computer

AlanKL

The final size is slightly smaller when I play on my HDTV.  How can i get the whole image that shows in the timeline to be displayed on my HDTV?

Do the safe areas settings have any effect?

• 1. Re: DVD size smaller than on my computer
          AlanKL Level 1

Also, I have "Scale to Frame Size" checked on the still pictures.  What does that do?  Note that I was referring to still pictures in the original post.

• 2. Re: DVD size smaller than on my computer
            A.T. Romano Level 7

AlanKL

What version of Premiere Elements? What computer operating system?

What are the pixel dimensions of these photo imports?

What is the project preset that you or the project is setting? See Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and the readings for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, and Pixel Aspect Ratio (even if the fields look grayed out)?

The preference for Scale to Frame Size directs the project so scale the import to match the frame size of the project preset. If is cannot do that because of the frame aspect ratios involved, you will end up with black borders.

Please consider and give more information.

Thank you.

ATR

Add On...I am assuming that your HDTV is being set for a 16:9 display.

• 3. Re: DVD size smaller than on my computer
              joem57192410 Level 1

Your images are probably not cropped to a precise 16 x 9 aspect ratio.

When you have "Scale to frame size" checked for still pictures. It forces the Image to be scaled down until the entire Image fits inside the 16 x 9 video.

If you have a photo editing software you could crop your images to 16 x 9  before importing them. That way they will fit properly.

Alternatively, You could un-check  "scale to frame size" Then just scale your image size manually to ensure they fill the entire screen.

Regards, Joe

• 4. Re: DVD size smaller than on my computer
                joem57192410 Level 1

Odd, when I started to type my responce there were no responses. I know I type slow and your answer got posted before mine. Oh well, you posted a deeper response than mine.I try to keep my responses simple and see where it leads.

You clearly have a deep understanding of Premiere Elements. I've learned a lot about the program just by reading your feedback. Thanks for all your input, I don't know how you find the time to post so often.

Regards, Joe

• 5. Re: DVD size smaller than on my computer
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Joe

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: DVD size smaller than on my computer
                    AlanKL Level 1

OK  I figured it out.  The HDTV setting was 16:9.  I changed it to "Just Scan" and the complete picture is now displayed in the HDTV screen.  It does seem strange that the 16:9 setting would cut off a small border of the original frame 16:9.  Can anyone explain this?

Thanks everyone for you help.  Alan.

• 7. Re: DVD size smaller than on my computer
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

AlanKL

Lots more information that I would like to have on what you did to get the Premiere Elements end product that you took to HDTV viewing, but here is the bottom line which should take care of the immediate situation.

Apparently HDTV settings 16:9 vs Just Scan is an old story in which 16:9 incorporates the "overscan" concept. The following is an old online thread, but it gives the essentials

16:9 vs just scan - Blu-ray Forum

Lots more online articles on this if you wanted more information on this.

Please consider. Any questions or need clarification, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thanks for the follow up. Appreciated. Interesting HDTV 16:9 vs Just Scan.

ATR

• 8. Re: DVD size smaller than on my computer
                        AlanKL Level 1

ATR:  I realized it was the HDTV when I checked the Video stream file Premiere created. (AVCHD .m2ts)  The stream had the complete picture and was 1920x1080.  It played in full with Windows Media Player on the computer.  That left the HDTV for the cause of the problem.  So I figured it had to do with some setting in the HDTV picture frame size which I tracked down.

What "Lots more information that I would like to have on what you did to get the Premiere Elements end product that you took to HDTV viewing"? I'll be glad to provide whatever you want to know.

• 9. Re: DVD size smaller than on my computer
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

AlanKL

Thanks for the additional information.

I just wanted to verify that you start with 16:9 footage and had 16:9 project and destined for 16:9 export.

You have answer my questions.

You see a great job of follow through to resolve your issue.

Best wishes

ATR