10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 12, 2015 1:33 PM by willowtreestudio

how to print a 5x7 to file when printed on 13 x 19 paper

willowtreestudio Level 1

I printed a 5x7 picture in Lightroom and wanted to print to file the image along with the settings i printed with for brightness and contrast. The problem is that all i want is the 5x7  picture to send to a lab but i get the 5x7 on a 13x19 background. I always print 13x19 borderless pictures so have never run into this before. is there any way in lightroom to just get a unique size picture without a white background.I want to print to come from lightroom so I have the adjustments i always use for brightness and contrast which i find so much better than printing from photoshop.

• 1. Re: how to print a 5x7 to file when printed on 13 x 19 paper
          F. McLion Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you don't need anything from the print module (like text overlay or any special arranging of various pictures to one, or what not) you're best to not print to file your photos. Simply export using the export module from the Library.

How to export photos from Photoshop Lightroom    

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/how-to/lightroom-save-as-jpeg.html

• 2. Re: how to print a 5x7 to file when printed on 13 x 19 paper
            willowtreestudio Level 1

the problem is that i want to apply my lightroom print settings to apply the brighten and contrast that i would apply when i would print it. I am trying to send a card to a print service and like the print I am getting from LR with the adjusted settings. Now i need to be able to send them that version

• 3. Re: how to print a 5x7 to file when printed on 13 x 19 paper
              F. McLion Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Do I get that correct? You did not use the develop module to correct the photo to its best?

You want the 2 settings from the print module? If yes, I don't get the reason ... however.

The print module is WYSIWYG. First select the correct paper size in the Page Setup settings in the lower left. Then adjust everything to your needs.

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/getting-started-with-adobe-photoshop-lightroom-5/lightroom-5-pri nt-the-perfect-image/

• 4. Re: how to print a 5x7 to file when printed on 13 x 19 paper
                willowtreestudio Level 1

I am not sure if I am making myself clear on this. It doesn't matter where I processed the picture. I made my card in photoshop, imported it into lightroom-i made a test print and liked it. Now i want to send the picture with my lightroom settings to a lab to print my Christmas cards and want the setting that worked from lightroom so I print to file but now the picture that is saved is a 5x7 sitting on 13x19 paper which I can't send to a lab or fit in a 5x7 template.There is the option to choose a 5x7 paper which I didn't think of before so i can get it to work in this situation but still wondering about if the picture size was an odd one and didn't fit into a specific size paper. there has to be a way to save any size picture for a lab.

• 5. Re: how to print a 5x7 to file when printed on 13 x 19 paper
                  JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you are having to rely on the brightness slider in the print module in order to get good prints, then you need to take some time to adjust your monitor. Trying to do it the way you are is just going to create a lot of frustration.

• 6. Re: how to print a 5x7 to file when printed on 13 x 19 paper
                    willowtreestudio Level 1

my monitor is perfectly professionally calibrated and the color is perfect. Lightroom has the adjustments that it has and any printing tutorial will tell you that monitors are always brighter than you think and you should make adjustments for printing which what lightroom does. If you don't use lightroom you should be using levels or curves unless you have a dedicated monitor for graphic work alone. if your monitor was adjusted for brightness for graphic work-all your email would come in pretty grey and dull.

• 7. Re: how to print a 5x7 to file when printed on 13 x 19 paper
                      JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Okay, have it your way. I have my monitor adjusted so that if I use the soft proof function in the develop module my prints match very closely. And I never touch the brightness and contrast adjustments in the print module. My e-mail and Web pages that I follow don't look "dull" as you have suggested.

• 8. Re: how to print a 5x7 to file when printed on 13 x 19 paper
                        JoeKostoss Level 4

willowtreestudio wrote:

...There is the option to choose a 5x7 paper which I didn't think of before so i can get it to work in this situation but still wondering about if the picture size was an odd one and didn't fit into a specific size paper. there has to be a way to save any size picture for a lab.

There is also an option to Manage Custom Sizes in Page Setup.  I have set up custom sizes of 10 x 7 (Folding card) and 16 x 9 (Monitor desktop wallpaper)

Screenshot 2015-12-12 15.47.40.png

willowtreestudio wrote:

...I made my card in photoshop, imported it into lightroom-i made a test print and liked it. Now i want to send the picture with my lightroom settings to a lab to print my Christmas cards and want the setting that worked from lightroom so I print to file...

Another way to do this is to make note what adjustment you made in the Print Module.  If you adjusted brightness by +10, that is basically a 10% f-Stop increase, Move to the Develop Module, in the Basic Panel adjust brightness to +.10 then Export that image to your desktop (Be sure it is the correct color space for your Lab).  Note, however, just because this worked on your printer does not guarantee that it will work at an outside Lab.  It all comes down to calibration and monitor brightness settings as others have pointed out.

• 9. Re: how to print a 5x7 to file when printed on 13 x 19 paper
                          willowtreestudio Level 1

thank you_i never really looked into the custom sizes and will do that-i have tried different adjustments in the develop module plus curves and levels and viveza etc.and after a lot of sampling there is something about the lr setting that i find works best on my printer-i know a lab could be completely different depending on who you use. I have sent this place pictures with and without the lr adjustment and definitley prefer it using these settings

• 10. Re: how to print a 5x7 to file when printed on 13 x 19 paper
                            willowtreestudio Level 1

i certainly do not mean to be argumentative. it is not a matter of having it my way. I am happy for you that your method works for you. Everyone's monitor is different and so are what we consider the right brightness. i have a high end calibrated monitor and my website looks great too and i adjust for web and for print. Lightroom added these adjustments and all the tutorials tell you that monitors are bright and this is how you compensate if your pictures are coming out darker than you want. and it works -for me-much better than soft proofing.

As for websites-they will look different depending on the monitor or laptop you are viewing from.Very few non graphics people have calibrated monitors Your particular monitor adjustment will of course make your website look good on your particular monitor.