5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 10, 2009 4:16 PM by Newsgroup_User

paintbucket gradient

Level 7
      Hi all,
      FW CS3
      I need to change the colors of a gradient for one of Al's PMM2 menu
      (curvitude theme), while they are png's, they are not individually editable
      (they are flat). So I am using the paintbucket, set to gradient to change it
      ... works great, but its a vertical gradient and I need the horizontal. I
      don't seem to be able to change that?

Barbara

• 1. Re: paintbucket gradient
          Level 7
          Hawkspoint wrote:
          > Hi all,
          > FW CS3
          > I need to change the colors of a gradient for one of Al's PMM2 menu
          > (curvitude theme), while they are png's, they are not individually
          > editable (they are flat). So I am using the paintbucket, set to gradient
          > to change it ... works great, but its a vertical gradient and I need the
          > horizontal. I don't seem to be able to change that?
          >
          > Barbara
          >

So you need to apply the gradient to a bitmap, if I'm reading you
          correctly. Select the area using the marquee tool.

Select the gradient tool.

Drag left to right instead of up/down.

This works for me in CS4. I can check later to see if it's any different
          in CS3.

--
          Jim Babbage - .:Community MX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:.
          http://www.communityMX.com/
          ---
          .:Adobe Community Expert for Fireworks:.
          http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/members/206.html
          ---
          • 2. Re: paintbucket gradient
            Level 7
            Jim Babbage .:CMX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:. wrote:
            > Hawkspoint wrote:
            >> Hi all,
            >> FW CS3
            >> I need to change the colors of a gradient for one of Al's PMM2 menu
            >> (curvitude theme), while they are png's, they are not individually
            >> editable (they are flat). So I am using the paintbucket, set to
            >> gradient to change it ... works great, but its a vertical gradient
            >> and I need the horizontal. I don't seem to be able to change that?
            >>
            >> Barbara
            >>
            >
            > So you need to apply the gradient to a bitmap, if I'm reading you
            > correctly. Select the area using the marquee tool.
            >
            > Select the gradient tool.
            >
            > Drag left to right instead of up/down.
            >
            > This works for me in CS4. I can check later to see if it's any
            > different in CS3.
            >
            I just got done editing the curvitude PMM2 theme to change the gradient,
            and it worked very well. In FW CS4 these are in the PNG as individual
            paths that can easily be edited using standard FW gradient properties,
            and I'm sure it would work in CS3 as well. Did you perhaps miss that the
            editable PNG is in a Fireworks directory that PMM2 creates in the
            Templates directory (at least that's where it put it for me)? This PNG
            contains regular FW objects, and when you're done you export the
            already-defined slices to create the "flat" PNG files for use on your site.

Doug G
            • 3. Re: paintbucket gradient
              Level 7

"Doug Gordon" wrote
              > Jim Babbage .:CMX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:. wrote:
              >> Hawkspoint wrote:
              >>> Hi all,
              >>> FW CS3
              >>> I need to change the colors of a gradient for one of Al's PMM2 menu
              >>> (curvitude theme), while they are png's, they are not individually
              >>> editable (they are flat). So I am using the paintbucket, set to gradient
              >>> to change it ... works great, but its a vertical gradient and I need the
              >>> horizontal. I don't seem to be able to change that?
              >>>
              >>> Barbara
              >>>
              >>
              >> So you need to apply the gradient to a bitmap, if I'm reading you
              >> correctly. Select the area using the marquee tool.
              >>
              >> Select the gradient tool.
              >>
              >> Drag left to right instead of up/down.
              >>
              >> This works for me in CS4. I can check later to see if it's any different
              >> in CS3.
              >>
              > I just got done editing the curvitude PMM2 theme to change the gradient,
              > and it worked very well. In FW CS4 these are in the PNG as individual
              > paths that can easily be edited using standard FW gradient properties, and
              > I'm sure it would work in CS3 as well. Did you perhaps miss that the
              > editable PNG is in a Fireworks directory that PMM2 creates in the
              > Templates directory (at least that's where it put it for me)? This PNG
              > contains regular FW objects, and when you're done you export the
              > already-defined slices to create the "flat" PNG files for use on your
              > site.

That is what I usually do, I've been working with Al's products since a
              while. However, in this instance the curvitude png's in the FW directory are
              flat, all other graphics are the individual paths and can be selected.
              I just created a new curvitude menu in a different directory, and it's the
              same thing, weird. Since I already put a lot of time into this I am going
              with Jim's suggestion to use the marquee ...

Thank you!
              Barbara

• 4. Re: paintbucket gradient
                Level 7
                Hawkspoint wrote:
                >
                > "Doug Gordon" wrote
                >> Jim Babbage .:CMX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:. wrote:
                >>> Hawkspoint wrote:
                >>>> Hi all,
                >>>> FW CS3
                >>>> I need to change the colors of a gradient for one of Al's PMM2 menu
                >>>> (curvitude theme), while they are png's, they are not individually
                >>>> editable (they are flat). So I am using the paintbucket, set to
                >>>> gradient to change it ... works great, but its a vertical gradient
                >>>> and I need the horizontal. I don't seem to be able to change that?
                >>>>
                >>>> Barbara
                >>>>
                >>>
                >>> So you need to apply the gradient to a bitmap, if I'm reading you
                >>> correctly. Select the area using the marquee tool.
                >>>
                >>> Select the gradient tool.
                >>>
                >>> Drag left to right instead of up/down.
                >>>
                >>> This works for me in CS4. I can check later to see if it's any
                >>> different in CS3.
                >>>
                >> I just got done editing the curvitude PMM2 theme to change the
                >> gradient, and it worked very well. In FW CS4 these are in the PNG as
                >> individual paths that can easily be edited using standard FW gradient
                >> properties, and I'm sure it would work in CS3 as well. Did you perhaps
                >> miss that the editable PNG is in a Fireworks directory that PMM2
                >> creates in the Templates directory (at least that's where it put it
                >> for me)? This PNG contains regular FW objects, and when you're done
                >> you export the already-defined slices to create the "flat" PNG files
                >> for use on your site.
                >
                >
                > That is what I usually do, I've been working with Al's products since a
                > while. However, in this instance the curvitude png's in the FW directory
                > are flat, all other graphics are the individual paths and can be selected.
                > I just created a new curvitude menu in a different directory, and it's
                > the same thing, weird. Since I already put a lot of time into this I am
                > going with Jim's suggestion to use the marquee ...
                >
                > Thank you!
                > Barbara
                >

Hi Barbara:

I haven't used this menu system but usually PVII products includes an
                editable FW PNG file, I think, and not just the sliced, flattened graphics.

You might also want to post on the PVII forums to see if they can help you.

--
                Jim Babbage - .:Community MX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:.
                http://www.communityMX.com/
                ---
                .:Adobe Community Expert for Fireworks:.
                http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/members/206.html
                ---
                • 5. Re: paintbucket gradient
                  Level 7
                  Hawkspoint wrote:
                  >
                  > "Doug Gordon" wrote
                  >> Jim Babbage .:CMX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:. wrote:
                  >>> Hawkspoint wrote:
                  >>>> Hi all,
                  >>>> FW CS3
                  >>>> I need to change the colors of a gradient for one of Al's PMM2 menu
                  >>>> (curvitude theme), while they are png's, they are not individually
                  >>>> editable (they are flat). So I am using the paintbucket, set to
                  >>>> gradient to change it ... works great, but its a vertical gradient
                  >>>> and I need the horizontal. I don't seem to be able to change that?
                  >>>>
                  >>>> Barbara
                  >>>>
                  >>>
                  >>> So you need to apply the gradient to a bitmap, if I'm reading you
                  >>> correctly. Select the area using the marquee tool.
                  >>>
                  >>> Select the gradient tool.
                  >>>
                  >>> Drag left to right instead of up/down.
                  >>>
                  >>> This works for me in CS4. I can check later to see if it's any
                  >>> different in CS3.
                  >>>
                  >> I just got done editing the curvitude PMM2 theme to change the
                  >> gradient, and it worked very well. In FW CS4 these are in the PNG as
                  >> individual paths that can easily be edited using standard FW gradient
                  >> properties, and I'm sure it would work in CS3 as well. Did you
                  >> perhaps miss that the editable PNG is in a Fireworks directory that
                  >> PMM2 creates in the Templates directory (at least that's where it put
                  >> it for me)? This PNG contains regular FW objects, and when you're
                  >> done you export the already-defined slices to create the "flat" PNG
                  >> files for use on your site.
                  >
                  >
                  > That is what I usually do, I've been working with Al's products since
                  > a while. However, in this instance the curvitude png's in the FW
                  > directory are flat, all other graphics are the individual paths and
                  > can be selected.
                  > I just created a new curvitude menu in a different directory, and it's
                  > the same thing, weird. Since I already put a lot of time into this I
                  > am going with Jim's suggestion to use the marquee ...
                  >
                  > Thank you!
                  > Barbara
                  >
                  I could send you the non-flat FW PNGs. I think there's only one variant.