• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I uninstall old Flash Player 15 Plugin that my pc won't let me?

New Here ,
Dec 11, 2015 Dec 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the problem of making a clean install, by completely uninstalling older versions.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Dec 18, 2015 Dec 18, 2015

This is the manual method for uninstalling Flash Player on Win7 and below. 

Note: People on Windows 8 and higher WILL mess up their systems doing this. 
If you're on one of those platforms, DON'T do this.  Seriously.

First, this procedure is invasive.  This is a fantastic time to back up anything critical on your computer, if you don't already have current backups. 

Performing a Clean install of Flash Player on Windows:

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/928315

If you come across a step that you can

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 18, 2015 Dec 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the manual method for uninstalling Flash Player on Win7 and below. 

Note: People on Windows 8 and higher WILL mess up their systems doing this. 
If you're on one of those platforms, DON'T do this.  Seriously.

First, this procedure is invasive.  This is a fantastic time to back up anything critical on your computer, if you don't already have current backups. 

Performing a Clean install of Flash Player on Windows:

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/928315

If you come across a step that you can't complete (which you probably will), it's a good indication that your filesystem is corrupt.  This might just be a random thing, or it's an early warning that your hard disk is going to die. 

If that happens, first run chkdsk and repair any problems with the filesystem:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2641432

If you're still stuck and it's a file that you can't delete, Unlocker will usually make it accessible again: Unlocker - Free download and software reviews - CNET Download.com

If it's a registry key that you can't remove, then you're in less comfortable territory. 

Windows already automatically scans and repairs the registry, so something is spectacularly messed up if you're in this state.  There are commercial utilities that offer to repair the registry, but I don't know any of them well enough to make a recommendation.  Personally, I would take it as a sign that it's time to think about wiping the machine and starting over with a fresh OS install.  Something is wonky, and the system will almost certainly perform much better with a clean slate.  If your disk *is* dying, there's a good chance that you'll push it over the edge in the process, but it was already a matter of time, and it's better than losing it having not backed up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 22, 2015 Dec 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Dear jeromiec83223024,   thanks, I am very impressed by your answer.  Even though I already had updated to free Windows 10 and, therefore, could not make the recommended correction, I appreciate your information.  I should have checked my email sooner, but I have been ill.  joeg15086491

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines