22 Replies Latest reply on Jan 28, 2016 1:39 AM by Mohit Goyal

D750 used to tether before I bought a new MBP ... help?

jpishooter Level 1

anybody have any suggestions

Got LR6, Camera Raw 9.3

Used to work on my other mac book

• 1. Re: D750 used to tether before I bought a new MBP ... help?
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You're probably using El Capitan as your operating system. At the present time there isn't support for tethering with El Capitan. Adobe is waiting for Nikon to update their SDK. When Nikon does their job then Adobe can make the appropriate adjustments. Until then, there is no tethering available for Nikon, Canon and Leica Cameras.

• 2. Re: D750 used to tether before I bought a new MBP ... help?
            Keith_Reeder Level 4

Lightroom and El Capitan | Mac OS 10.11

Jim, I believe that Canon tethering is (for the most part) unaffected by SDK problems under El Capitan.

• 3. Re: D750 used to tether before I bought a new MBP ... help?

Then I stand corrected. It seems to me that in most of the threads that I followed Canon was mentioned. But I'm on Windows 10 and using a Nikon camera, so my information can easily be incorrect.

• 4. Re: D750 used to tether before I bought a new MBP ... help?
                Keith_Reeder Level 4

Naaah, far and away the majority of tethering issues under El Capitan have been Nikon related.

There has been the odd problem reported by Canon users, but they're in a tiny minority.

• 5. Re: D750 used to tether before I bought a new MBP ... help?
                  jpishooter Level 1

Yes Jim I do have the new El Cap ... man, every time I update anything something else doesn't work with it ....

• 6. Re: D750 used to tether before I bought a new MBP ... help?
                    JoeKostoss Adobe Community Professional

jpishooter wrote:

Yes Jim I do have the new El Cap ... man, every time I update anything something else doesn't work with it ....

Yes jpishooter, It's like getting a new car, every new model year has new features, including something new that can result in a recall. It's called life.

• 7. Re: D750 used to tether before I bought a new MBP ... help?
                      badlandz Level 1

JimHess wrote:

You're probably using El Capitan as your operating system. At the present time there isn't support for tethering with El Capitan. Adobe is waiting for Nikon to update their SDK. When Nikon does their job then Adobe can make the appropriate adjustments. Until then, there is no tethering available for Nikon, Canon and Leica Cameras.

I don't know how this was marked as a "correct answer" on December 12, 2015, because it's appears to be old, incorrect information. That was once true, but not anymore. Look for yourself:

Nikon Imaging | SDKダウンロード

Nikon updated the SDK on December 10, 2015, so people can't keep pointing the finger at Nikon. It's someone else's turn now to make Lightroom work for Nikon's in tethering.

• 8. Re: D750 used to tether before I bought a new MBP ... help?
                        Keith_Reeder Level 4

And that will automatically fix Lightroom,  will it?

It's still the right answer - Adobe now  needs time to embed Nikon's fix into Lightroom.

It's not  rocket science...

• 9. Re: D750 used to tether before I bought a new MBP ... help?
                          badlandz Level 1

Keith_Reeder wrote:

And that will automatically fix Lightroom,  will it?

It's still the right answer - Adobe now  needs time to embed Nikon's fix into Lightroom.

It's not  rocket science...

What in the world is this about? It's not the right answer, it's incorrect information. Is this an internet troll?

First, someone said "Adobe is waiting for Nikon to update their SDK. When Nikon does their job then Adobe can make the appropriate adjustments." I said, no, we aren't waiting for Nikon, that's not the case. We are waiting on Adobe now.

Second, in addition to it being inaccurate about pointing the finger at Nikon, I also did not say Lightroom is automatically fixed, at all. I said it's someone else's turn to do some work now.

Nothing in that comment makes sense. Who we wait for to get things to work is clear. Providing the correct information to a question is important. Sarcasm directed at someone providing facts and referances is a method of trolling a forum, and not helpful or appropriate.

• 10. Re: D750 used to tether before I bought a new MBP ... help?
                            ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

"Adobe now  needs time to embed Nikon's fix into Lightroom" was Keith's comment and it is the correct assessment of the current situation as of a couple days ago.  Nikon should have fixed their SDK to work with El Capitan and released an update to their software before El Capitan even became available.  They didn't, and it took them a couple months to push out a fix.  Now it'll probably take weeks for Adobe to push out their fix.

Here is what an Adobe employee said 2 days ago over on the feedback forum:

Lightroom: Can't use tethering with Nikon and Leica after installing MacOS 10.11 El Capitan

Simon Chen (Principal Computer Scientist) 2 days ago

Nikon has provided an update to the SDK. Lightroom has been testing the new SDK and initial results are good. If the testing goes all well, the update will come in the next Lr 6.4 update.

--

When this situation happens with Canon cameras, where Canon adds support then we're waiting for the next version of LR to be released, you can install the new Canon software and copy the appropriate DLL from the Nikon software folder to the Adobe plug-in folder and it works.  I don't have a Nikon camera nor a Mac to test with but maybe that'd work in this situation, too.

How about you test that for us, badlandz, and report back.  I'm sure the many Nikon tethered shooters were appreciate such info.

• 11. Re: D750 used to tether before I bought a new MBP ... help?
                              jpishooter Level 1

I don't even really know what he said but need a solution by Saturday!!!!

If the work around is explained step by step I'll do it!

• 12. Re: D750 used to tether before I bought a new MBP ... help?

badlandz wrote:

Nothing in that comment makes sense. Who we wait for to get things to work is clear. Providing the correct information to a question is important. Sarcasm directed at someone providing facts and referances is a method of trolling a forum, and not helpful or appropriate.

It seems to me that sarcasm is flowing in both directions. Surely you wouldn't want Adobe to grab the SDK and throw an update together without testing to ensure that everything is working correctly.

• 13. Re: D750 used to tether before I bought a new MBP ... help?
                                  badlandz Level 1

Step by step is difficult. But, I can point you to a workaround that I use, and how hard/easy it is depends on your skill level, and I'd take no responsibility for anything that goes wrong.

But here's what works very well for me, as a workaround while I wait. Boot Ubuntu from a USB drive on my MacBook, and run gphoto2 with all the different related programs that allow you to capture and download images (even as NEF, the RAW files) from most Nikons fairly easily. And with hooks/plugins/other programs allow you can view the image on the screen to make any camera/lighting adjustments needed.

After that, I just reboot back in OS X to do any editing in Lightroom.

It works for me, because I don't really make Lightroom adjustments during the capture process I just want a big screen, zoomable view so I can adjust the camera and lights. But it might not work if you use Lightroom adjustments as you are capturing.

• 14. Re: D750 used to tether before I bought a new MBP ... help?
                                    ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't know if there is a workaround that'll work for Nikon on a Mac.  That's what I'm asking others to try and see.

Assuming LR isn't going to be updated in the next few days, if you need a solution by Saturday I'd suggest using another tethering product to put photos into a folder and set up LR to watch that folder and auto-import the photos as they arrive. It's not as slick as built-in thethering but it does get the photos into LR as you're shooting rather than having to take the time to do it all after the shoot.

If Nikon has software that'll do tethering then you can use that and set up a watched folder in LR.

Or I've seen on here that Capture One, a rival to LR, maybe you can run it as a 30-day trial or maybe you'll have to pay for it, will do tethering to Nikon under El Capitan and use can use that with Auto Import in LR:

Here is where you configure and enable Auto Import:

And here is what you can configure:

Googling will show any number of third-party Nikon tethering solutions, but I'd guess most of those will use the Nikon SDK and need an update just like LR, so unless they have a statement specific to supporting El Capitan assume they don't.

• 16. Re: D750 used to tether before I bought a new MBP ... help?
                                      Keith_Reeder Level 4

JimHess wrote:

It seems to me that sarcasm is flowing in both directions. Surely you wouldn't want Adobe to grab the SDK and throw an update together without testing to ensure that everything is working correctly.

No sarcasm whatsoever on my part, Jim.

But I don't know how many times we need to tell people - this is on Nikon - and if users like the one above don't understand what the latest news actually means in software development terms (and - clearly - he/she does not) then it needs to be spelled out in a way which makes an impression.

• 17. Re: D750 used to tether before I bought a new MBP ... help?
                                        badlandz Level 1

You are right, I still don't understand this. But you are not spelling out your answer, you are just insulting and insisting you are correct. There is a difference.

Keith_Reeder wrote:

But I don't know how many times we need to tell people - this is on Nikon - and if users like the one above don't understand what the latest news actually means in software development terms (and - clearly - he/she does not) then it needs to be spelled out in a way which makes an impression.

Wow. I really don't understand the argument here. And, I don't know why the "your to stupid to understand" comment isn't suppose to be anything more than a direct insult.

If it is more complex than I said, why don't you explain it? Because when Nikon has released the SDK, something we had been waiting on, that made me believe it's not Nikon we are waiting for anymore. That part is done. I guess we don't understand what that means in "software development terms" that would cause people to turn to Nikon now and wait for their action, and how this is "on Nikon."

I am trying to provide accurate information regarding the situation. And, to me it looks like we are not waiting for Nikon anymore. We are waiting on Adobe. And, to my knowledge, the most recent information can be found here, as someone else mentioned above:

Lightroom: Can't use tethering with Nikon and Leica after installing MacOS 10.11 El Capitan

Where Adobe employee Simon Chen says that the new Nikon SDK will likely be incorporated into LR 6.4.

I am not trying to be sarcastic, I am being genuine in my believe that the information I am stating is the most recent and correct information I can find. And from how I understand it, the situation is not still "on Nikon." You have pointed out that "what the latest news actually means in software development terms (and - clearly - he/she does not) then it needs to be spelled out in a way which makes an impression."

If I am actually wrong, and it's not Adobe's turn (or, in your terms "this is on Adobe now!"), then yes, please do spell it out. Because I am not alone in not understanding why you keep arguing this point that it's on Nikon, there are other posts above also saying this is Adobe's issue now, not Nikon. I'm pointing out that the very first answer posted, that was marked "correct," was not a reflection on the actual most recent information available at the time it was posted, or at this time.

• 18. Re: D750 used to tether before I bought a new MBP ... help?
                                          badlandz Level 1

ssprengel wrote:

When this situation happens with Canon cameras, where Canon adds support then we're waiting for the next version of LR to be released, you can install the new Canon software and copy the appropriate DLL from the Nikon software folder to the Adobe plug-in folder and it works.  I don't have a Nikon camera nor a Mac to test with but maybe that'd work in this situation, too.

How about you test that for us, badlandz, and report back.  I'm sure the many Nikon tethered shooters were appreciate such info.

I did want grab the SDK to see what was in it, have to do the application process though. I might have some time to give that a try this weekend, I'd really like to get it working. Might be my second highest priority this weekend (first being working out a better script to call gphoto2 to collect images for an unmanned camera at an event coming up, but I'm almost done with that).  If I do get to this, I will definitely let you know.

Quick Update: I did look in the SDK, and can confirm that updating Adobe's library on Mac to use the most recent binaries from Nikon, like libNkPTPDriver.dylib and the type bundle doesn't allow cameras to be detected in the tether feature in Lightroom. And, I did kill PTPCamera by hand to make sure Apple wasn't interfering, and confirmed I could capture and download images by command line on the Mac using gphoto2 (which worked even without the newest SDK). So, I do have communication to the camera, the ability to capture using another program, and Lightroom seems to see the camera and download images from it. So, other than access to Adobe's source code and recompiling it with the new Nikon header files in the SDK, I'll have to think if there really is anything else that can be tested.

Second Update: This actually has lead me to consider my non-MacOS workaround, and test a few more things in El Capitan. If you install gphoto2 on OS X (I did through Mac Port, but there are other methods), then you can capture and download images from Nikon. If you collect them into a "hot" folder that is watch by Lightroom, they show up right away. (See: File->Auto Import in Lightroom, as you described above ssprengel). I don't know that I'll use this option, because Apple's PTPCamera program keeps restarting itself in the background, and messing up the process. But at least I did find one way to hit 2 buttons (up arrow, then enter, to run a simple command line) and after that the images automatically show up in Lightroom.

• 19. Re: D750 used to tether before I bought a new MBP ... help?
                                            Keith_Reeder Level 4

badlandz wrote:

Wow. I really don't understand the argument here. And, I don't know why the "your to stupid to understand" comment isn't suppose to be anything more than a direct insult.

Oh, act your age, please.

Just because I disagree with you - and yes, I'm baffled by how you're making such hard work of this - I'm not "insulting" you.

Still, I tend to forget that on the internet some people automatically look for offence, whether it's there or not.

But I am correct. Nikon has finally (apparently) got its act together, but Adobe must now do its due diligence and test the fix before releasing a new version of Lr. And they won't release early just to fix this problem - you'll likely have to wait until the next official release date is reached.

• 20. Re: D750 used to tether before I bought a new MBP ... help?
                                              badlandz Level 1

Keith_Reeder wrote:

But I am correct. Nikon has finally (apparently) got its act together, but Adobe must now do its due diligence and test the fix before releasing a new version of Lr. And they won't release early just to fix this problem - you'll likely have to wait until the next official release date is reached.

I give up. Clearly you don't even get what I said when I said Nikon's part is done, it's on Adobe as of the 10th of December. You insisted the problem is on Nikon, that the first answer blaming Nikon on the 12th was correct, and that you were correct, and are still correct. And you state repeatedly that you disagree with me, but on what? And then in the next sentence say Nikon has done their part, which is exactly what I've been saying all along.

I have provided information as to the status, and you disagree with what exactly? The information I provided? I have stated facts about the status, and provided links on Adobe's own site to show the status, as well as on Nikon's site. What is it you disagree with that I have actually said?

I was actually the only one that gave a thumbs up to the comment that agreed with part of what you said, that it's on Adobe now. I don't understand why you have such an issue with me. I supported the one person who said the one part of one of the first things you said was right.

And again, you have put comments on me that I never even made. I never said there will be an early release to "just fix this problem." You are arguing with yourself, trying to believe I'm arguing with you, not addressing any facts I've provided and explaining why you think I'm wrong and you are right.

I provided work around information, and as far as I can tell, I'm the only one on this thread that actually tried to test the new library files in the Nikon SDK to see if the fix would be simple. And pointed out that it is not simple, it will take more than swapping in some library files. Which, seems to me, a statement that agrees with the fact it's not just a quick fix.

Even in your last comment, you made it all about the one line I said that it seemed you insulted me, and you replied with yet another insult. I'm not responding to you anymore, clearly this is a troll. So go ahead and do your typical internet troll dance and have the last word so you can feel like you have won. (And to be honest, I have no clue what you are trying to win, or why).

I think it's time for a moderator to put an end to this, it's not helpful. I've provided information, much of the same information about Lightroom others have provided, and with references to it's actual truth and accuracy. But this is just turning into some sort of personal attack that is quite childish. What more is really going to be added by this line of conversation?

• 21. Re: D750 used to tether before I bought a new MBP ... help?
                                                jpishooter Level 1

Here is what I posted in another discussion, hope it helps:

I go too fed up with this whole thing that I found a get-around because I NEEDED to tether TODAY.

Might not be ideal but .... you might find this helpful.

I used Image Capture (it's in the OS), then auto imported from there.

I used Image Capture as my review then imported only those that I wanted to show the client.

Actually was a cool feature in a way ... hope that helps in the meantime while we wait for 6.4

• 22. Re: D750 used to tether before I bought a new MBP ... help?
                                                  Mohit Goyal Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi All,

We have just released  Lightroom 6.4/2015.4 which fixes the issue of Nikon tether with Lightroom running on Mac OS 10.11.

Please refer Lightroom CC 2015.4 / 6.4 now available

Regards,

Mohit