1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 12, 2015 2:05 PM by gvmm

Nav TOC creation for multi-doc EPUB 3 FXL

gvmm Level 1

Hi folks,

I'm a digital publishing quasi-newbie, just dipping my head into fixed-layout EPUBs for the first time. I've had good luck so far, but seem to be tripping just a few feet from the finish line.

My book consists of 6 InDesign documents (front matter, ch1, ch2, ch3, ch4. back matter). I have an in-line TOC in my front matter doc, using a style called LiP_fix TOC. I also created a style called EPUB to generate a Nav TOC for my EPUB package.

When I use the File/Export menu, I can select the EPUB Nav TOC style I have created, but I only export the document that currently has focus in ID.

Screen Shot 2015-12-12 at 9.08.46 AM.png

When I export to EPUB from the Book panel, I can export the whole book (which is what I want), but I do not have access to my custom TOC styles.

Screen Shot 2015-12-12 at 9.13.06 AM.png

I don't understand this. Do I have to glom all of my ID documents together into one file? Or (shudder) hand-roll a Nav TOC in TextWrangler?

Any help would be much appreciated!

The fine print: I'm running InDesign CC 2015 / build 11.0.0.72 on an iMac Retina 5K running Mac OS X 10.11.1

Richard Hurley

Grass Valley MultiMedia

• 1. Re: Nav TOC creation for multi-doc EPUB 3 FXL
          gvmm Level 1

Further tinkering has cleared up some of the problem. I note my preliminary findings here to alleviate pain for future users. Any comments by the cognoscenti would be much appreciated.

1. ID does not store Nav TOC styles independent of the files in which they are created.
          2. Your TOC style must be explicitly loaded into each document of your book through the Table of Contents Styles... menu by referencing the source document where you created the style.
          3. Changes to your TOC must be rippled again through all book doc.s. (I find this hard to believe, but there does not seem to be any inheritance of revisions.)
          4. Modifications of your Nav TOC style must be explicitly saved. (I.e., just closing your TOC dialogue does not record changes to the style.)
          5. Proof your Nav TOC on a spare page of your doc if you wish, but don't count on the exported EPUB to behave properly. E.g., you can use text in a hidden layer to generate TOC entries in InDesign, but this blows up on export. If you need to hide the text that generates TOC entries, stick it behind a graphic. (Haven't tested print/non-print layers in this regard.)