19 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2015 10:11 AM by A.T. Romano

avi audio, just hiss

ianb70228486

Hi Guys,

I have a problem with AVI files, they work fine in Windows Media Player and VLC, but in Elements 14 all I get is very loud hiss, I have to re-record said soundtrack and then import it, then synch it up,

into elements for it to work, bloody annoying, refund afoot I think, any ideas, am I missing something, any suggestions comments would be most welcome. Thank You. 

• 1. Re: avi audio, just hiss
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What model of camcorder is your AVI from? Is it captured from an miniDV Camcorder over a FireWire connection?

If this video is from a source other than a miniDV camcorder, you'll need to dig into the video file's specs to determine if there is an issue with the codecs.

Open your video file in G Spot or Media Info and list the resolution, frame rate and audio and video codec that it lists.

GSpot Codec Information Appliance

• 2. Re: avi audio, just hiss
            ianb70228486 Level 1

Hi Steve,

I have had a look in GSpot, it lists audio as AAC, but in the coding section states it was unable to connect to a certain pin, the audio is from a cobra 820 dash cam, they play OK in everything else.

If they use a dodgy codec to record audio, I'll be stuck with it I suppose, if so so be it, it'll mean a bit more messing about that's all.

Thank you for your advice and assistance

Ian.

• 3. Re: avi audio, just hiss
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

AAC audio is pretty universal. But you're right, that incomplete information from G Spot could mean it's a rare codec.

• 4. Re: avi audio, just hiss
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Ian

We know that you have a file with an .avi file extension. And, I realize that this is being looked at as an audio issue, but....

What does GSpot give for Video name, codec, and status? Xvid or other?

Do you know if the device records with a variable frame rate?

I have read the device's manual page by page, but best that I can get from it is .avi file 720p or 1080p.

Depending on your reply, any chance you sending a sample as a shareable link in your thread? By Google Drive or Dropbox?

ATR

Add On....What version of Premiere Elements? What computer operating system?

• 5. Re: avi audio, just hiss
                  ianb70228486 Level 1

Hi Steve,

That's what I think too, the camera is very small, so the electronics will be as well, thank you for advice

regards

Ian

• 6. Re: avi audio, just hiss
                    ianb70228486 Level 1

Hi ATR,

I think we have, well a sort of a solution, but do you want the raw file or the elements 14 version, I can but both on dropbox if you would like to do more

research. I will need your e-mail for access to my dropbox.

Regards

Ian.

• 7. Re: avi audio, just hiss
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Ian

Can you send it via a shareable link from Google Drive or Dropbox? Or, do you prefer to keep the viewing of the files limited.

With Google Drive I know that you can post here the shareable link in your thread without any email addresses needed. Either way, assure that nothing sent compromises your privacy.

Please advise since I am very interested in your files and getting to the solution - small raw file is the most import; the Premiere Elements 14 export with the audio hiss would be good also.

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: avi audio, just hiss
                        ianb70228486 Level 1

Hi ATR,

Well what about youtube, I can upload both files as unlisted and send you the link, that way you can download both files.

Let me know what you think

Regards

Ian.

• 9. Re: avi audio, just hiss
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Ian

Thanks for the plan. But, with YouTube plan, I will be able to view and listen to the file, but I do not believe that I will be able to download them (unless you know of a way). I know that, if a person uploads video to YouTube, that person can download that file but not anyone else.

If you know of a way to allow me to download your file from YouTube, we can go with that plan. If not, we will go through other plans in Adobe Forums private message system. My preferred route is the Google Drive shareable link posted in the thread. But, we need to find a plan that works for both of us.

We will find a way.

ATR

• 10. Re: avi audio, just hiss
                            ianb70228486 Level 1

Hi ATR,

Well, I think I have another plan, I have just realized you can upload on here, now does that sound like a plan or what, but there is a problem

only a small one. I have just changed my SSD to a larger one, so the elements 14 isn't on yet (actually, I thought of elements 13 as well) but I can up load the raw file. It is ten minutes long though, so I will cut it down to five, unless of course you would like the whole thing.

Let me know your thoughts on my plan.

Regards

Ian.

• 11. Re: avi audio, just hiss
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Ian

Great. I will watch for the raw file to be sent to this thread. It should be fine if the raw file segment sent contains the segment where you hear the audio noise, either on Timeline or after in export of Timeline content.

ATR

• 12. Re: avi audio, just hiss
                                ianb70228486 Level 1

Hi ATR,

We are destined to fail, the upload is too large, however, i think we might be able to use dropbox's share facility to achieve our goal.

I have downloaded the latest version ( I haven't used it in quite a while) I let you know when it's ready and the associated link, fingers crossed

Regards

Ian

• 13. Re: avi audio, just hiss
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Ian

Keeping a positive thought for the troubleshooting file sharing.

If any problems, I will detail specifically what I would be doing on this side if they arrive and have you do the tests I would have been doing here.

Best wishes

ATR

• 14. Re: avi audio, just hiss
                                    ianb70228486 Level 1

Hi ATR,

You are not going to believe this, I have just installed k-lite codecs, which it asks which codecs to associate with audio and video, this time however, I noticed that the audio codec listed was either lav or ffdshow, but the next one was AAC, which I chose.

I then installed Elements 14, loaded the same file as last time, the sound is PERFECT, so it was using or trying to use the wrong codec.

I am at present uploading said file to dropbox, I will still send you the link, so you can verify if this is what happend, It has still 40 minutes to go

as soon as it's finished I'll send you the link, if it works that is, fingers crossed again

Regards

Ian.

• 15. Re: avi audio, just hiss
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Ian

Magnificent news. In many cases one of those codec packs creates more problems, but this was not the case this time.

Although I am interested in checking out the raw file for you for future use, if the Dropbox sending does not work, then we can leave it at knowing you are moving forward with your Premiere Elements projects after targeting an AAC codec issue.

Then, if any re-occurrence of the problem, then we can figure out the troubleshooting file sharing plan.

Best wishes

ATR

• 16. Re: avi audio, just hiss
                                        ianb70228486 Level 1

Hi ATR,

Thank you for your patience, but here is the link for you to try: Dropbox - MOV_0002.AVI

It should work as the link goes directly to the file, anyway thank you again and have fun.

Regards

Ian.

• 17. Re: avi audio, just hiss
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Ian

I have downloaded and explored your MOV_0002.AVI in Premiere Elements 14 and 13/13.1 on Windows 7 64 bit.

MediaInfo video and audio properties readout program indicated that I was working with AVCHD (H.264) and AAC (Coded ID: FF).

I found no problems with the video or audio playback of this video in Premiere Elements 14 or 13/13.1.

Details....

1. It is often written here that AVCHD or H.264.avi is not compatible with Premiere Elements, to the extent that it cannot be imported. But, this was not true in this case.

2. The GSpot codec utility confirmed the codec results and stated that video and audio codec were installed on my computer. I have not added codecs or codec packs to my computer.

3. The only noise heard in the video was that of the traffic noise, with the exception of two segments where voice was heard for a short period of time.

4. When the MOV 0002.AVI was imported into the 14 and 13/13.1 Timeline, the project preset set automatically was the same , that is, NTSC/FLIP/Flip Mino HD and Ultra HD30p. Interestingly, when this was looked at in Premiere Elements 12/12.1, same automatic FLIP project preset was set, but the MOV 0002.AVI would not play back. The trick to get it to work in 12/12.1 was to bring the video into a manually set project preset (NTSC/AVCHD/AVCHD-LITE 720p) and render the Timeline content.

5. MediaInfo video properties included: Alignment split across Interleaves. Interleave, duration 32 ms (0.96 video frame)

Adobe document  Adobe Premiere Elements Help | Common settings for sharing  say of Interleave

Interleave. Specifies how often audio information is inserted among the video frames in the exported file. See your capture card documentation for the recommended setting. A value of 1 frame means that when a frame is played back, the audio for the duration of that frame is loaded into RAM so that it can play until the next frame appears. If the audio breaks up when playing, the interleave value may be causing the computer to process audio more frequently than it can handle. Increasing the value lets Premiere Elements store longer audio segments that need to be processed less often, although higher interleave values require more RAM. Most current hard disks operate best with 1/2‑ to 1‑second interleaves.

But, since we did not run into any sound issues in this study, we could not envoke the Interleave settings for this video.

My impression is that we are not dealing with proprietary codecs, rather codecs available on a given computer. I would still be cautious working with AVCHD.avi whatever the audio format and codecs because of its past history with Premiere Elements (and. from what I have read, with Premiere Pro as well).

In view of the fix that you found and my observations dealing with problem file, my tentative diagnosis is "issue with audio codec installed and/or available on your particular computer." with possible contributory factor of H.264.avi file.

Please consider.

ATR

• 18. Re: avi audio, just hiss
                                            ianb70228486 Level 1

Hi ATR,

IT WORKED, well that's one thing to note for future use. I have had trouble in the past with codecs not working or not on the PC.

This was the first time that I had trouble with elements 14, I don't  know if the software as a default location set on install for the codecs it can use.

When i started to use k-lite (there were a few that were rubbish) it solved most of the problems, even VLC ran smoother.

At least we are up and running, thank you for your patience and dedication to the task.

We got to the correct answer eventually.

Happy Xmas and happy New Year.

Kindest regards

Ian

• 19. Re: avi audio, just hiss
                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Ian

Thanks for the follow ups. "IT WORKED" sound great.

Best wishes for a Happy Christmas and New Year with lots of wonderful photo/video taking opportunities and Premiere Elements video presentations.

ATR