8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 16, 2015 12:17 PM by Warunicorn

Adobe ACR Stand Alone

JK1234567

Is it possible to buy ACR alone?

This is the only part of Photoshop I use. I spend a lot of time away from internet connectivity so the subscription based thing is not for me and my version of PS CS6 does not have newer camera compatibility so I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.

I've tried Lightroom and it's a mess. I don't want something that's going to take over my filing and make me go through many more clicks to achieve the same results as ACR.

I also have a problem with Adobe support. I've tried, unsuccessfully, to contact someone directly at the company with this question and it's totally impossible. I suspect my question here will disappear into the ether as well.

John

• 1. Re: Adobe ACR Stand Alone
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Adobe Camera Raw is a plug-in for Photoshop and Photoshop Elements. The only "standalone" version would be Lightroom. I think you may be turning away from Lightroom a little too quickly. I did at first. I didn't like it because I didn't understand it. But now that I have adapted my workflow to the Lightroom way of thinking, I prefer it over Camera Raw. You might consider looking at the following set of tutorials. They were prepared for Lightroom 5, but everything discussed would apply to Lightroom 6 or Lightroom CC as well.

Getting Started with Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 | Adobe TV

• 2. Re: Adobe ACR Stand Alone
            Warunicorn Adobe Community Professional

Adding to what Jim said, connectivity is an issue only if you're going to be away for 30 days (on the monthly sub) or 90 days (on the annual sub). You could think about tethering or getting an Internet hotspot for the purposes of "phoning home" if it's an issue.

I feel your pain a bit on Lightroom's cataloging as I prefer the Bridge/Photoshop combo myself. (I use Photoshop a lot, though, since I like to do creative composites.) Lightroom's cataloging is pretty good but my inner megalomaniac/OCD wants to control where my images go.

• 3. Re: Adobe ACR Stand Alone
              b2martin_a Level 2

I agree with you on the Lightroom catalog - I don't need it either.  I think Adobe should add a folder mode to Lightroom that would allow using it similar to Camera RAW in Photoshop.  I do the following:

1. Set Lightroom to save setting in xmp files, just like Camera RAW.

2. Import your images into Lightroom's catalog in order to edit them.

3. Complete your edits and export the final images to a location of your choice.

4. Remove the images from Lightroom's catalog.

Your RAW files along with xmp files will be in folder where you saved your RAW files.

Edited images (jpg, tif, etc) will be in the location you exported them from Lightroom.

Lightroom's catalog will be empty.

This flow is very similar to what you do in Camera RAW. 

• 4. Re: Adobe ACR Stand Alone
                JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

To get the most from Lightroom I think it's necessary to simply accept the catalog and not fight it. Then it's possible to modify the workflow accordingly. The catalog is awkward at first. I don't mind using Lightroom and the catalog system for my main photography. But I have a new camera and am doing a lot of experimenting in order to become acquainted with some of the features. None of those images or anything that I am ever going to want to keep. For such experiments, I turn to Photoshop  and Bridge. There's no need to catalogue these images.

• 5. Re: Adobe ACR Stand Alone
                  b2martin_a Level 2

I understand what you are saying, but I have no need for a catalog function.  I like the flexibility to move my images without using Lightroom for that function.  The way I use Lightroom is very close to how I worked with Camera RAW in Photoshop and that is exactly what I want.  I like the presets and print function in Lightroom better than what is available in Camera RAW, and I use those.

• 6. Re: Adobe ACR Stand Alone
                    D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I have a love/hate relationship with the Lightroom catalog. Which side wins depends on the situation.

The thing is, the catalog doesn't make much sense until you sit down with 350 shots on your card, and you need to make your picks and have them out the door by two o'clock sharp. That's when you appreciate the power of Lightroom. If I had to do that with ACR/Bridge, I'd tear my hair out.

But if you have only a couple of images, and you intend to spend some time on them to get them just right, then the catalog quickly gets in the way.

Since I do the former as often as the latter, and I need to have everything in one place anyway, I take the bad with the good. But I do see both sides.

• 7. Re: Adobe ACR Stand Alone
                      JK1234567 Level 1

Jim Hess - I've had Lightroom for years but have never managed to build a relationship with it. I detest software telling me how I will organise my files and my workflow. That's just not for me.

Warunicorn - I'm at sea for great periods of time so the CC thing is no good to me. I'm not happy paying for something every month I use very rarely either.

b2Martin a - I'll give that a try, but I'm thinking I'm not going to like the complexity of this.

D Fosse - I rarely need to process any more than 20 images at a time. I'm not a machine-gun type photog. My D810 is over a year old and has 1200 images taken with it. I'm a bit of a slacker in that regard.

To all - Thank you for your responses.   I think this Lightroom trip is not for me. There's talk of Adobe making it a subscription thingie too and I'm opposed to being forced to pay a monthly stipend for something I may or may not use. I'll be really annoyed if I'm forced to abandon another package I've taken time to learn.

I've downloaded a trial of Capture One which I'll have a bash at. Once again though, the software wants to control a lot of what I want to do, but it is "pay upfront" and not subscription.

Another option is to stick to my older cameras and only use PS CS6 extended. It's such a shame that Nikon discontinued support for their new cameras in Capture NX2.

Thanks again, folks. I'll keep searching.

JK

• 8. Re: Adobe ACR Stand Alone
                        Warunicorn Adobe Community Professional

JK1234567 wrote:

Jim Hess - I've had Lightroom for years but have never managed to build a relationship with it. I detest software telling me how I will organise my files and my workflow. That's just not for me.

Warunicorn - I'm at sea for great periods of time so the CC thing is no good to me. I'm not happy paying for something every month I use very rarely either.

b2Martin a - I'll give that a try, but I'm thinking I'm not going to like the complexity of this.

D Fosse - I rarely need to process any more than 20 images at a time. I'm not a machine-gun type photog. My D810 is over a year old and has 1200 images taken with it. I'm a bit of a slacker in that regard.

To all - Thank you for your responses.   I think this Lightroom trip is not for me. There's talk of Adobe making it a subscription thingie too and I'm opposed to being forced to pay a monthly stipend for something I may or may not use. I'll be really annoyed if I'm forced to abandon another package I've taken time to learn.

I've downloaded a trial of Capture One which I'll have a bash at. Once again though, the software wants to control a lot of what I want to do, but it is "pay upfront" and not subscription.

Another option is to stick to my older cameras and only use PS CS6 extended. It's such a shame that Nikon discontinued support for their new cameras in Capture NX2.

Thanks again, folks. I'll keep searching.

JK

If I recall, there was a "monthly contract" sub, but it's expensive compared to the other offerings. ($20 USD for one app, if I recall.)