This content has been marked as final. Show 18 replies
I notice you say you tried making them admins which implies they were not before. Was RH installed with admin rights?
Do they have the same problem with other projects, in particular the supplied sample projects.
Yes RH8 was installed with users logged in and having admin rights. IT took awayadmin rights after installation. Yes, all projects are having this same issue.
Where does this project reside? How are the other two authors accessing it?
It resides on a shared network drive (I know local drive is best, but I really don't want them saving copies to their C drive - I've been using this way for years on RH5 and all has been just fine..so far :-)).
We are all opening the same project from the same shared drive (not at the same time of course). Mine displays okay and thiers does not.
Russian roulette is a great game too until you hit the wrong chamber.
RH is NOT designed to work that way. It has a Microsoft Access database underpinning it so network issues kick in. What works for one user will not work for another.
We work locally and run a simple backup program each day that creates a zip file prefixed with the date. Gives us plenty of backups to revert to which is a plus.
Your call. Do you want to spin the chambers again? Next time it might be project corruption. Your projects working well up to now is a bit like saying my Lehman Bros shares were great.
Forgot to finish the thought.
The point being that just because you have managed to escape any harm by working this way in the past doesn't mean you won't at some point.
Those that have worked successfully this way in the past are also the most difficult to convince there's actually an issue with this approach when they come here seeking answers to why things aren't behaving.
Thanks so much for your reply Rick - point well taken... :-) I really appreciate your candor.
And thank you, Peter, for your assistence.
After further investigation, I've found the cause but have no solution. I have XP and IE 6, they have XP and IE 7. RH8 changes HTML to XHTML (changes "doctype" and "charset").
Anyway my IE6 has no problem displaying RH8 topics correctly but IE7 does not...all of our users have IE7 (latest version) and our FlashHelp projects will not be displayed correctly once we update them to IE8.
I am not having a problem previewing RH8 topics with IE7. Please try moving one project that is giving grief to the users hard disk. Is it still a problem?
We tried from C drive and same result. I also upgraded my PC to IE7 and sure enough text boxes are not displayed correctly. Our end-users with IE7 and IE6 are also seeing the same issues in the FlashHelp output. Users accesing the FlashHelp with IE6 - no issues. Users accessing the FlashHelp with IE7 - formatting issues.
It seems that only text boxes are causing this issue. The projects were originally created in RH5 or earlier and we have many text boxes. Now after generating in RH8 and viewing output with IE7 the text boxes are overlapping other text and images. Also the header includes a text box that is now overlapping topic titles. I can fix the header easily by just removing the text box...but replacing all text boxes in every project will just be exceptionally time consuming.
Are you saying MS Access is not designed to run from a network drive?
MS Access can have issues across a network. It may work, it may not. It may work for years, it may then fail because of some network change. Bottom line is $1 for every post here about this, I wouldn't be talking to you, I would have long since retired.
I will have to test later.
With the issue here I suggest validating the HTML RH generates.
I don't think Microsoft Access 2003 and later has issues running over a network on a file server. My guess is the number of files RH opens. Have you tried changing the extension of the CPD file to MDB and opening the Access file and running a db repair?
Are you sure it is a Microsoft Access 2003 or later database? :-)
Regardless, Adobe do not recommend using RH over a network for this very reason, other than in conjunction with a source control system. Also these forums are just littered with posts from people whose problems went away when they moved the project locally. There are people who who run it without issues but it has to be the first suspect.
You might also like to look at this thread.
Haven't forgotten you in this. I will test some text boxes.
My fix (still takes time but it works)... It seems that the preferred height variable in text box properties is the cause.
When I generated flashhelp from RH5 my text boxes appeared fine in IE6 and IE7. Generated from RH8 and they appeared fine in IE6 but in IE7 the text boxes overlapped the text below them.
I am able to fix by opening the text box properties dialog and de-selecting the preferred height checkbox -- then all is displayed correctly. However, I have so many text boxes this is not practical.
So, using the Edit --> Find and Replace in Topics option, I entered "Height:" in find box and left the replace box empty. Doing replace all is risky because other tables have "Height:" in the code as well. So I replaced one at a time using find next, making sure it was a text box (starts with <div style="padding...) and then clicked replace. This deletes "Height:" and text box displays just fine. :-)
Change this: <div style="padding: 5px; margin-top: 8px; margin-bottom: 8px; background-color: #d7f2ff; height: 24px; float: none; width: 432px;">
To this: <div style="padding: 5px; margin-top: 8px; margin-bottom: 8px; background-color: #d7f2ff; 24px; float: none; width: 432px;">
Good to hear you have solved it.
If you are taking out "height" you might as well take out 24px; as well.