15 Replies Latest reply on Dec 15, 2015 6:39 AM by khatwani

Import query (folders)

relbhcb

I am currently using Lightroom 6.3 (standalone version, not CC) on OSX 10.11.3. My 29,000 photos are organised within Folders, and this arrangement has worked well for me for several years.

When I select > Import / Source:Macintosh HD:Users:xxxxx:Desktop on the left hand side, > Select All and then highlight the subfolder that I want to put them in on the right hand side, when the import process happens it puts the photos into a new Folder called 2015 at the bottom of the list of my Folders on the left hand side.

I then have to drag and drop the photos from this 2015 folder to the desired sub folder above. This did not use to happen, and this new behaviour is a pain. Does anyone know where I am going wrong?

In case it is relevant, I do _not_ use Collections, and would rather not going forward. Nor do I want to move to CC either.

TIA

• 1. Re: Import query (folders)
          khatwani Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi

Greetings!!!
          When you are in the import window, check the destination panel on the right hand side.

Put it in a subfolder option should be checked.

Regards

Jitendra

• 2. Re: Import query (folders)
            relbhcb Level 1

Thanks Jitendra,

If I do tick the Destination / Into Subfolder box, but leave the EnterName field blank, whether I "Organise" >By original folders<, >By date<, or >Into one folder< the imported photos still show up at the end of my Folders list, but with varying Folder names (i.e. date or a word). What used to happen, and what I still want to happen, is that the imported photos go straight in to the Folder that I select in the Destination folder tree on the right hand side.

Still confused, but thanks for your help,

TIA

• 3. Re: Import query (folders)
              ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

In that case, you want to "organize into one folder".

Select the folder you want to be the destination. If the desired folder does not exist, select the parent folder and check the "into folder" box and fill in the name of the new child folder.

• 4. Re: Import query (folders)
                relbhcb Level 1

Thanks ManiacJoe. I have just un-ticked  "Into Subfolder" and selected "Organise: Into one folder"; I then chose Import, found the source folder on the left hand side, ticked the relevant images to import, and selected the desired destination folder from the drop down tree on the right hand side - in this instance a folder called ~User/DropBox/Photos/Lightroom Library DB/*UNSORTED/

But the imported photos went into a _new_ folder which showed at the bottom of the tree on the left hand side called ~User/DropBox/Photos/Lightroom Library DB/*UNSORTED/ - whilst the name and path of the folder is the same, a separate folder shows up. This confuses me, and is not what I would like. Perhaps I have mis-mapped something somewhere?

I have attached a screen grab which shows the left hand side tree after import.

TIA

Lightroom_Catalog_lrcat_-_Adobe_Photoshop_Lightroom_-_Library.jpg

• 5. Re: Import query (folders)

Please share a screenshot of the destination panel in the import window,

Regards

Jitendra

• 6. Re: Import query (folders)
                    relbhcb Level 1

Herewith 2 images - I hope they help.

Many thanks!

Screenshot_14_12_2015__10_30.jpg

Lightroom_Catalog_lrcat_-_Adobe_Photoshop_Lightroom_-_Library 2.jpg

• 7. Re: Import query (folders)

Reset your preferences

To reset your preferences, do the following:

1. Quit Lightroom.
                      2. Navigate to the preferences file:
                        • Mac OS: /Users/[user name]/Library/Preferences/com.adobe.Lightroom6.plist
                        • Windows 7, 8: C:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom\Preferences\Lightroom 6 Preferences.agprefs
                      3. Drag the preferences file to the Recycle Bin (Windows) or Trash (Mac OS).

Important (Mac OS): The user Library file is hidden by default on Mac OS X 10.7 and later. For temporary access to the user Library file, press Option and choose Go > Library in the Finder.

Important (Windows): The AppData folder is hidden by default. To view it, choose Start > Control Panel > Appearance and Personalization > Folder Options. In the Advanced area of the View tab, make sure that Show Hidden Files and Folders is selected. Then, click OK.

• 8. Re: Import query (folders)
                        relbhcb Level 1

Hi Jitendra,

I have just done that twice (the second time I re-started my Mac before re-launching LR6 as well), but on both occasions a new folder was created by LR during the import phase and the imported photo(s) put in this new folder (each time with the same name as where I wanted it to go, but NOT the right one). So, it hasn't solved my problem. Any other suggestions?

With many thanks,

PS I deleted /Users/[user name]/Library/Preferences/com.adobe.Lightroom6.plist AND /Users/[user name]/Library/Preferences/com.adobe.Lightroom5.plist AND /Users/[user name]/Library/Preferences/com.adobe.Lightroom4.plist , but all three reappear when I launch LR6.

• 9. Re: Import query (folders)
                          ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

relbhcb wrote:

Thanks ManiacJoe. I have just un-ticked  "Into Subfolder" and selected "Organise: Into one folder"; I then chose Import, found the source folder on the left hand side, ticked the relevant images to import, and selected the desired destination folder from the drop down tree on the right hand side - in this instance a folder called ~User/DropBox/Photos/Lightroom Library DB/*UNSORTED/

But the imported photos went into a _new_ folder which showed at the bottom of the tree on the left hand side called ~User/DropBox/Photos/Lightroom Library DB/*UNSORTED/ - whilst the name and path of the folder is the same, a separate folder shows up. This confuses me, and is not what I would like. Perhaps I have mis-mapped something somewhere?

I have attached a screen grab which shows the left hand side tree after import.

TIA

The first thing I would do is to make sure the Folders tree in LR looks like the tree shown by Finder.

Select a folder, right-click, "show parent". Repeat as needed.

This will give you the correct view of where your folders really are.

• 10. Re: Import query (folders)
                            relbhcb Level 1

ManiacJoe,

Doing as you say has produced an interesting error. See screenshot below. How might I go about clearing this internal error?

One other thing that I now realise, having compared the left hand side folder tree within LR6 with my Finder is that if you look at the screen grab in my reply #6 above, the photo shown in the LOWER *Misc folder in LR6 is actually in the UPPER *Misc folder in Finder (which is where it should be). So this reaffirms that this is a LR database issue, and probably not me having ticked an incorrect box in the Import process.

Many Thanks!

Screenshot_15_12_2015__07_55 2.jpg

• 11. Re: Import query (folders)

What happens when you keep the catalog in a different drive or a different location ?

• 12. Re: Import query (folders)
                                relbhcb Level 1

Sorry - don't quite understand that - are you suggesting that I move the Lightroom Catalog.lrcat file? Currently both it and my "tree" (Lightroom Library DB) are both kept within /User/Dropbox/Photos/

TIA

Lightroom_Library_DB_and_Import_query__folders____Adobe_Community.jpg

• 13. Re: Import query (folders)

Yes change the location of catalog but do not but that in dropbox

• 14. Re: Import query (folders)
                                    relbhcb Level 1

OK - I have moved the two files Lightroom Catalog.lrcat and Lightroom Catalog Previews.lrdata from where they were (within /User/Dropbox/) to within /User/Pictures/ on my internal SSD. Relaunched LR6, pointed LR6 to find the location of the catalogue, and then tidied up / removed the incorrect "folders" on the left hand side (see lower image on my Reply #6). I then did a test import and instead of going where I wanted, LR6 once again created a "new folder" at the bottom of the left hand tree (as per before) and put the imported photos in it. As before, within Finder this new folder does not appear - it only appears within LR6.

Therefore moving the lrcat from /User/Dropbox/~ to /User/Pictures/~ has not solved my problem...

• 15. Re: Import query (folders)

Sent you a private message, please check