4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 11, 2009 1:19 PM by jcbluesman

Web header with HTML click-throughs

carguy73
      that I can have in all of my pages, kinda like a Nav Bar. I guess my burning question is this: How can I take my logo, add all of my click-throughs and then have it on all of my pages? I have a basic header already done through Photoshop, created my logo and everything. Now do I need to add the text for my click-throughs and then set up the hotspots? Do I add the text in Photoshop, Fireworks or Illistrator? Once added, can I set them up individually as hotspots, or is it going to select the entire document as a hotspot. I am having trouble figuring out where to start, and where to end. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
        • 1. Re: Web header with HTML click-throughs
          carguy73 Level 1
          Wow, this has been up for six hours and nobody has a clue? Or am I just asking to stupid a question? I'm new here guys, I have NO clue what I am doing, which is why I am coming to the experts. I need help, and I was always taught the only stupid question is the one not asked. Oh well.......
          • 2. Re: Web header with HTML click-throughs
            pixlor Level 4
            You posted in the middle of the morning (my time zone) and I don't check the forums till evening when I am off work. Many of the experts on this forum don't come here on a daily basis, so expecting an answer in only six hours is unreasonable.

Now. What you want is a template for your pages. The best tool for building this is an HTML editor, such as Dreamweaver. You can use Fireworks to create the graphics for the buttons, but building code should be done in an environment that is designed for that.

If, indeed, you have no clue what you are doing, then you should first learn HTML. Here's my list of resources:

Here's a book I like:
            HTML, XHTML, and CSS, Sixth Edition (Visual Quickstart Guide) by Elizabeth Castro
            It covers everything in small chunks and is light enough to carry around and read.

Some tutorials:
            HTML Code Tutorial
            W3Schools
            This one has a friendly tone, although it has lots of ads: Page Tutor
            The CSS Tutorial

Also, check out the site recommendations by Silkrooster here:
            A question about using Fireworks to build a website

For your specific question, you can set up a nav bar, by putting text objects on a background (or backgrounds (as the case may be). Pull out guide lines and use the slice tool (see Fireworks help)
            to set up the images to be exported. Then, build your page templage in an HTML editor, referencing the images you produced in Fireworks.

• 3. Re: Web header with HTML click-throughs
              carguy73 Level 1
              Sorry, didn't mean to sound like an ***. I am new to the Adobe Suite of products, not programming per se. Thank you for the links, it is the Fireowrks I am having trouble with. The HTML I think I can handle, it is the graphic side of it I am not used to dealing with.
              • 4. Re: Web header with HTML click-throughs
                jcbluesman Level 1
                Is your intention to create a prototype? May sound like a silly question but I've seen quite a few people using Fireworks to build an actual site which isn't what it's designed to do.