7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 13, 2015 1:44 PM by A.T. Romano

Project Assets - Premiere Elements 14 - Can't dray files

Bill McMurry

I can't drag files into folders in Project Assets in Premiere Elements 14 with Windows 10.

• 1. Re: Project Assets - Premiere Elements 14 - Can't dray files
          Bill McMurry Level 1

Sorry can't type - should be drag files not dray

• 2. Re: Project Assets - Premiere Elements 14 - Can't dray files
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Are you in List View or Grid View? Try changing the Project Assets panel view.

• 3. Re: Project Assets - Premiere Elements 14 - Can't dray files
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Bill McMurry

With Premiere Elements 14 on Windows 10 64 bit,  it is not going to matter if you drag and drop media into

a. Project Assets Grid View

or

b. Project Assets List View

or

c. Drag and drop the file in direction of the Timeline track.

Consequently, I would ask

1. From where are you dragging these images and where are you dropping them? Will these same file import if you use the project's Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets?

2. Did you have a prior version of Premiere Elements (11 through 14) on another operating system where you had no problem with

the drag and drop media?

But, I wonder if you have created a folder in Project Assets and have tried to drag and drop individual media there into this new folder that you created to tidy up your Project Assets?

Please consider and give more details.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Project Assets - Premiere Elements 14 - Can't dray files
                Bill McMurry Level 1

I'm in List View.

I have folders for Stills, Video and Audio with sub-folders for Day 1, Day 2 etc.  With previous versions of Pre Ele I have been able to add media and then drag them to these folders.  I can get them in to these folders by doing cut and paste.

• 5. Re: Project Assets - Premiere Elements 14 - Can't dray files
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Bill McMurry

Thanks for the follow up.

Let me give you an example...if the issue resolves around working with putting images into Project Assets folders and not the routine drag and drop files in Project Assets...an example

If I have images imported into Premiere Elements 14 Expert workspace Project Assets (List View), create a folder in Projects, and want copies of those images in the folder

folders1.JPG.

Then as I hold down the Ctrl key, I am going to click drag an image into the folder icon.

Folders2.JPG

You can open and close the folder by clicking on the tiny triangle to the left of the folder icon for the Folder.

However, at this point, I would agree with you that 14 is "different" in his Project Assets new folder behavior (compared to 11, 12/12.1, 13/13.1)

In 11, I could drag the individual files into the folder - not leaving the originals behind as you see in the screenshot 2. Also, in 11, I could drag the file outside of the folder for various purposes, including rearrangement in the folder. I can still do that with the help of Ctrl key, but I am ending up with copy.

If what I am describing goes to the core of your issue, I will elaborate on this some more. I did the above with Premiere Elements 14 on Windows 7 64 bit. Depending on your reply, I will do this also with Premiere Elements 14 on Windows 10 64 bit and add more variables to the mix.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Project Assets - Premiere Elements 14 - Can't dray files
                    Bill McMurry Level 1

Thank you very much.  I wasn't holding down the Ctrl key.  I was just holding down the left mouse button.  Unless I have just forgotten, in previous versions you did not have to use the Ctrl key.

• 7. Re: Project Assets - Premiere Elements 14 - Can't dray files
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Bill McMurry

Thanks for the update. I will gather more information of what is going on in Premiere Elements 14 Project Assets (Grid/List views) and user created Project Assets Folder behavior and report back in this forum directly or by reference to my observations on the details in my free blog.

Your thread and details focused on a very interesting why question for the Premiere Elements 14 Project Assets folders behavior.

ATR