3 Replies Latest reply on May 14, 2009 2:29 AM by SiamJai

Batch Process Ruins GIF timings

I had about 100 animated gifs I wanted to resize and save in a lower resolution format. I entered them all into the batch process and then chose to export with "animated gif 128" selected" and also the resize function to change the gifs dimensions to 320x240. After completing this process I learned my gifs had been appropriately scaled and exported with the correct color depth, but the timing had been ruined and the images just played with no delay. Now, when I do this same process in fireworks manually the result is correct. Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in Advance
        • 1. Re: Batch Process Ruins GIF timings

Likewise. Fireworks seems to use the default delay time of 7/100 of a second instead of what is entered when making the GIFs up. Is there a fix for this?

• 2. Re: Batch Process Ruins GIF timings
            heathrowe Most Valuable Participant

If you know the original frame rate of the states then you can enter them in by clicking the 7 to the right of the state in the States Panel. I don't think Fw auto detects the frame rate of ani gifs that were authored in another program. I could be wrong here.

• 3. Re: Batch Process Ruins GIF timings
              SiamJai Level 2

The "Animated GIF 128" option is one of the several preset export options that Fireworks ships with. It just happens that besides color and optimization values, the frame delay value is also affected by the preset, if it's applied from the PI or the Batch dialog.

There are two solutions. For batch processing, create your own export preset. (Open one of the animations, hit Ctrl+Shift+X, set the desired values and then click the tiny + icon in the upper right corner of the window, next to the Saved Settings dropdown). Then in the batch window, use that newly created export profile; the frame delay value will be preserved on the exported animations.

For individual animated gif exports, don't ever apply the preset from the PI (Property Inspector). You can safely apply the preset from the Optimize panel or from the Image Preview window. When used in those two, the frame delay value is not affected.

Good luck!

Innovative Fireworks Tutorials