8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2015 11:44 AM by rob day

No indent on first paragraph only after Heading

Perelms

I am importing a document from Word and am still having a few problems when mounting.

1. I don't want the first row in the first paragraph after a Heading have an indent. I do want the indent on all subsequent paragraphs.

I've created two new paragraph styles where firstbodyParagraph style does not have an indent on first row and bodyParagraph style does have an indent.

Heading1 has firstbodyParagraph as next style and firstbodyParagraph has bodyParagraph as next style. This works fine inside Indesign. For instance if I mark from Heading1 till the next heading and select  Use Heading1 and then Next style. But if I mount a document from Word where I have matched Heading1 in word to my own defined inddHeading1 etc, this does not work no matter how I try to change the matchings from Word body text to either  firstbodyParagraph or bodyParagraph. Next style is not honored so to say.

2. Another problem is that my margin adjustments to left and right margin does not change either. Word document has left margin only straight and my body text paragraphs have left and right margins straight. A little plus sign appears on my paragraph style and I have to go through the whole document paragraph by paragraph to click it away.

• 1. Re: No indent on first paragraph only after Heading
          Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

1. Is it contained in the definition of the imported document?

2. Select all and go to the paragraph style panel menu: Remove overrides (may solve problem 1 too).

• 2. Re: No indent on first paragraph only after Heading
            Perelms Level 1

Willi Adelberger

1. No the Word document does not have any of these styles. I.e. there is a blank row between paragraphs and no indents at all. I start out, after mounting/placing the document, by search and replacing all multiple carriage returns with just one. Then I want the pages to display as described. No indent on first paragraph after chapter heading and indents on all succesive paragraphs until I come to a new heading. This was not fixed by removing all overrides.

2, Yes removing all overrides from the menu fixed my margins. Just wondering what other overrides it fixed, that maybe were supposed to be there??

• 3. Re: No indent on first paragraph only after Heading

To 1

You should NEVER use empty paragraphs or lines between 2 paragraphs to make space

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Am 14.12.2015 um 14:53 schrieb Perelms <forums_noreply@adobe.com>:

No indent on first paragraph only after Heading

created by Perelms in InDesign - View the full discussion

Willi Adelberger

1. No the Word document does not have any of these styles. I.e. there is a blank row between paragraphs and no indents at all. I start out, after mounting/placing the document, by search and replacing all multiple carriage returns with just one. Then I want the pages to display as described. No indent on first paragraph after chapter heading and indents on all succesive paragraphs until I come to a new heading. This was not fixed by removing all overrides.

2, Yes removing all overrides from the menu fixed my margins. Just wondering what other overrides it fixed, that maybe were supposed to be there??

If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/8294613#8294613 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page:

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/8294613#8294613

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following"

Start a new discussion in InDesign by email or at Adobe Community

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1516624.

• 4. Re: No indent on first paragraph only after Heading
                rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

1. I don't want the first row in the first paragraph after a Heading have an indent. I do want the indent on all subsequent paragraphs.

The Paragraph Style Options' Next Style only applies to text you key in to the document. But If you also apply an Object Style to the text frame there is an option to enforce next styles. So below I have all the text set to the Basic Paragraph style, but then I apply an Object Style to the frame where its Paragraph Style is my Head style which has No Indent as its Next Style, and No Indent has Indent as its Next Style. I don't have to edit the text to get the desired result.

Also as a general practice I think it's a good idea to get rid of any imported Word styles. Usually I make my own ID styles then delete the Word styles and when prompted use my styles as a replacement. There have been a number of post lately regarding corrupted ID docs that seem to relate to imported Word styles.

Screen Shot 2015-12-14 at 9.33.35 AM.pngScreen Shot 2015-12-14 at 9.34.24 AM.png

• 5. Re: No indent on first paragraph only after Heading
                  Perelms Level 1

rob day

Thanks for your suggestion. For some reason I don't get it to work. I've created the Object style and enforced it on my text frames and nothing changes.

I know I have my paragraph styles set up correctly since it works when I select text from a heading and the paragraphs up to the next heading and then right click on my heading style and select "Use Heading style and next style" (rough translation)

However if I get it to work, it seems it will change the top paragraph on each text frame into a Heading style. This is not always the case, since most pages/primary text frames either don't have any headings on them or have Heading2 resp. Heading3 somewhere on the middle of the page maybe.

• 6. Re: No indent on first paragraph only after Heading

But you are aware that Paragraph Styles from the Object style does not work with linked frames?

• 7. Re: No indent on first paragraph only after Heading
                      Perelms Level 1

Thanks. No I wasn't aware of that and it would explain my not being able to recreate it. Back to step 1.

I've split the story into a separate story for each frame. On many pages this works fine, i.e. on the ones where there is a chapter heading at the top of the page. The others do not work as I have headings 2 and 3 also, where the same rule needs to be applied. I do however need to go to each frame and enforce the rule, even though I've set the Header object as the default on my templates.

What I've done in the meantime is to remove all double carriage returns from the word document, so I don't have to worry about them when mounting.

• 8. Re: No indent on first paragraph only after Heading
                        rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

For threaded text you can break the text flow at the first frame, override the paragraph and the frame's object style, and then relink the flow. So a linked text flow with miscellaneous overrides:

Screen Shot 2015-12-14 at 2.30.37 PM.png

Click the first frame's out port, followed by a click back into the first frame to unlink the thread

Screen Shot 2015-12-14 at 2.38.25 PM.png

Select all and clear the overrides for the text's paragraph styles and select the frame and clear its override. Note Blue Italic Not Styled loses its style because it has no character style applied:

Screen Shot 2015-12-14 at 2.31.19 PM.png

Rethread:

Screen Shot 2015-12-14 at 2.43.37 PM.png