This is not Adobe. Rather essentially a user to user forum. Do you want help here troubleshooting your Premiere Elements issue?
If yes, then we will need to exchange a lot of questions and answers to help you. The answers will be in the details.
1. Where is your Premiere Elements 14 - on Windows 8.1 64 bit or other? What was the problem with Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 on this same computer that forced you to go to Premiere Elements 14? Same problems in 14 and 9.0/9.0.1 or different?
2. The rod that you mention sounds like the Timeline Indicator (also referred to as the CTI). When you press the Play button of the monitor or hit the computer keyboard space bar, does that Timeline Indicator ever move from left to right?
3. You can Timeline render only when your Timeline content has an orange line over it. And, you can get automatic playback after a Timeline render if you have a certain preference enabled. Please see Edit Menu/Preferences/General and the preference for "Play work area after rendering previewing" Is it enabled or disabled?
4. Is the problem for just one project or for all new and saved closed reopened projects?
5. What are the properties of what you are adding to the Timeline? How much is on the Timeline when the Timeline Indicator will not move - one file or any number of files?
6. Please delete the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file found
Local Disk C
and in the 14.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If that does not work then you delete the whole 14.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists. Important to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives enabled.
Please consider the above. We will welcome the opportunity to be of assistance - user to user.