7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2015 8:19 AM by JimHess

difference between stand alone and cc version

sophusn7517238

why are you hiding stand alone differences between the cc and stand alone - you really get cheated when you think you buy a full version

• 1. Re: difference between stand alone and cc version
          dj_paige Level 9

Hiding? Not in any reasonable sense of the word.

Right there on the Adobe Web Site, the differences are shown

https://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-lightroom/versions.html

How is that hiding?

• 2. Re: difference between stand alone and cc version
            JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you purchase Lightroom 6, you get a full version of Lightroom 6. In past versions of Lightroom new features were never introduced in dot releases of the program. New features were always reserved for new upgrades which cost. Lightroom CC is marketed as a program that will receive frequent updates. It's a different marketing plan. Those who choose Lightroom 6 will have to wait for the release of Lightroom 7 in order to get new features. That's the way it has always been. Nothing different. So you save a little money by waiting for Lightroom 7. But you don't have the latest Photoshop available. You can argue that you don't need the new features, and I guess that's true. But it certainly is nice to have all the features available.

• 3. Re: difference between stand alone and cc version
              sophusn7517238 Level 1

fair is fair - If your sales representative had told me about

Right there on the Adobe Web Site, the differences are shown

https://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-lightroom/versions.html

I would have known that I was buying an inferior product - but she did not. I told, I am an old man and not a pro photographer, and thus in no need for the whole cc suite, and then she responded, that I should just buy the stand alone version - but she did not mention any diffences or shortcomings of the stand alone. Thus I feel cheated.

Today I contacted support, let your support take over my pc and what do you know - he did not mention, that I could not have dehaze on my stand alone - in fact he reinstalled it as a trial version and told me, I had to sign in to work again. His work to reinstall the program also meant, that I got my catalog system all messed up, so so much for the support. I am up an running again now - without the dehaze - and I still feel, I have  been given a bad deal.

• 4. Re: difference between stand alone and cc version
                dj_paige Level 9

I would have known that I was buying an inferior product - but she did not. I told, I am an old man and not a pro photographer, and thus in no need for the whole cc suite, and then she responded, that I should just buy the stand alone version - but she did not mention any diffences or shortcomings of the stand alone. Thus I feel cheated.

Yes, that's understandable, but sometimes you have to do your own research and thinking ... if there are different products with different names and different prices ... why assume they are identical? You pay more, you get more.

• 5. Re: difference between stand alone and cc version

It's unfortunate that the representative didn't fully explain the differences. The $10/month price doesn't include the entire creative suite. It only includes Lightroom and Photoshop. Both programs have additional features in the creative suite versions. Those who don't have the creative suite will argue that these are really not necessary. Lightroom 6 is certainly a capable program that will do you well. The additional features are nice to have when needed, but aren't essential to producing high-quality photos.

• 6. Re: difference between stand alone and cc version
                    sophusn7517238 Level 1

ok, so you think I am stupid - that I can live with - but that would been easy for a sales representative to correct rather than to leave "stupid" me in the dark

• 7. Re: difference between stand alone and cc version

Hold on, friend. Nobody has said anything about anybody being stupid. I use the creative cloud versions of Lightroom and Photoshop, and I like them. But I'm frustrated with the marketing being handled by Adobe the way it is. Many people get confused. Surely there must be a better way to handle this so that there doesn't seem to be so much confusion. You are not the only person who gets caught in this misunderstanding.