3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2015 9:00 AM by Peter Spier

Excel link to InDesign master page

nickh35406716

I would like to import data from excell into a indesign master page resulting in the master page creating new pages in sequence in line with the excel document.

for example,  excel document contains list of page titles and i would like the list to import into a text box and create a new document for each new text box/cell entry.

excel. cell 1 = "index
      excel. cel 2 = chapter one"

ind. master page 1 = "index"

ind. master page 2 = "chapter one"

Any ideas? im sure indesign must support this...

• 1. Re: Excel link to InDesign master page
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I don't really understand what you are asking, but I'm pretty sure ID doesn't do what you want. Can you explain it better?

• 2. Re: Excel link to InDesign master page
            nickh35406716 Level 1

ok, we all know how to use automatic page numbering in indesign using master pages, i would like to use master pages in the same way but rather than the page numbers auto filling as you pick another master page for your document i would like the master pages to be linked to an excel document so the footer or headline information is updated also, each time i drag in another master page it populates a text box with the next line of information from the associated excel document.

This would replace the current workflow i have of copying and pasting separate fields from an excel into individual pages in indesign, automation is what i'm looking for here.

• 3. Re: Excel link to InDesign master page
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Yeah, there's no direct way to do that in ID. The closest thing I can think of is Data Merge, which I'm pretty sure will not work for you. Saving as .csv or tab-delimited text could allow you to place the text file into a placeholder frame, though, which might get you closer.