15 Replies Latest reply on Dec 16, 2015 10:42 AM by A.T. Romano

switch to new machine

davids495

We have switched from an xp machine to a Win10 machine and tried to reinstall our adobe acrobat (ver10) and Premiere Elements (ver 12).  The installation of both went normally.  When we try to start either we get an error message that says "Application Manager is needed to resolve this problem".  So we downloaded AM (ver9) from your site.  It unzips then gives the error message, "failed to initialize.  Get support adviser."  When we follow the link on your site to SA, it says that it is discontinued!  So we are stuck!

I uninstalled both programs using Win uninstaller and then also downloaded and used your cleaner for acrobat.  There is a program that I can not get rid of on the windows installed program list called PRE STI Installer which I think is for Premiere Elements.  I then tried to install Elements but still got the same error messages.

Can you propose a solution?

• 1. Re: switch to new machine
          A.T. Romano Level 7

davids

Are you downloading and installing the Adobe Application Manager from the following link

Adobe - Adobe Application Manager : For Windows : Adobe Application Manager

The above should have taken care of the situation...also look at

Local Disk C

Program Files (x86)

Common Files

Adobe

OOBE

PDApp

core

and in the core Folder is the PDapp.exe file that you double click to open to the Application Manager.

Does that work?

ATR

• 3. Re: switch to new machine
            A.T. Romano Level 7

davids495

Thanks for the reply (post 2), but, for some reason, there was not message in the reply.

Please try again as your schedule permits.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: switch to new machine
              davids495 Level 1

Thanks for the answer but it didn't work.  I did find the pdapp.exe file where you described it but it gave me an error message when I tried to run it.  I then deleted it and downloaded the ap. manager from the URL that you gave me (in case my previous download was from somewhere else) I then ran that setup but it failed to initialize and told me to download adobe support adviser.  There is now no record of PDapp.exe on the computer.

Any ideas for what to try next?

• 5. Re: switch to new machine
                A.T. Romano Level 7

davids495

Thanks for the update.

Consider...

1. Uninstall Premiere Elements 12/12.1 using the usual Control Panel route.

2. Do a free ccleaner run through (regular and registry parts) CCleaner - Free Download - Piriform

You should not need anything more than the free version.

3. Disable the antivirus and firewalls.

4. Reinstall Premiere Elements 12.

After 12 is confirmed to be working OK, then download and install the 12.1 Update from an opened project's Help Menu/Updates.

Make sure that you restart the computer in between major operations.

Just in case not, the PDapp. exe is the Adobe Application Manager. If during the above suggestion, you are asked to install the Adobe Application Manager, then use the link that I previously cited Adobe - Adobe Application Manager : For Windows : Adobe Application Manager

that seems to be the go to link for that.

Please consider.

Thank you.

ATR

• 6. Re: switch to new machine
                  davids495 Level 1

Hi ATR,

Sorry but after doing your latest suggestions including cleaning registry, the issue remains the same.  I reinstalled the program successfully but when I tried to start it got the same message saying that application manager is missing or damaged.  So I tried to install that and get the download support advisor message.  I did check to see if PDAPP.exe is in the ....core folder as you suggested in your first reply.  It is not

• 7. Re: switch to new machine
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

davids

When you are doing the download and install of the Adobe Application Manager...

a. Are the antivirus and firewalls disabled?

b. Have you tried using a different default browser for the computer as well as "a" above?

ATR

• 8. Re: switch to new machine
                      davids495 Level 1

I will try the download with IE or Chrome (not Firefox) and let you know.  In the previous download the Norton AV was not turned off and there were no virus warnings during the download.  I did turn NAV and firewalls off before I ran the install on application manager.

Can you tell me why application manager is needed?  What does it do.  We have other machines running acrobat or premeir elements and I see the PDAPP.exe file in the ....core subdirectory.  CAn I just copy it onto the machine that we are having trouble with and see if that helps solve the issue?

• 9. Re: switch to new machine
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

davids495

Thanks for the update.

I am not sure of the consequences of replacing the PDapp.exe from one product to another. But, if it is only the same product as the source of the exchange, you could try after making sure you have safety net in place.

What you might want to look at before that...

Local Disk C

Program Files (x86)

Common Files

Adobe

and in the Adobe File is that OOBE Folder.

Rename the OOBE Folder from OOBE to OOBEOld.

Restart the computer.

The Adobe Application Manager (aka PDapp.exe) is required for updating. It is my understanding that as long as you have an Adobe product on the computer, you have the Adobe Application Manager. The following about Adobe Download Manager versus Adobe Application Manager may be of interest What is the difference between Adobe Download Assistant and Adobe Application Manager?

Have you gone through the scenario where you uninstall Acrobat and Premiere Elements, do a good computer cleaning, and then only reinstall Premiere Elements with the antivirus and firewalls disabled?

Please consider and then let us know if any of the above gave signs of resolving the issues.

Thank you.

ATR

• 10. Re: switch to new machine
                          davids495 Level 1

HI again,

Well, I tried my idea of copying over PDapp from a machine it worked on but it wouldn't run on the machine with an issue.  Then I tried your idea of downloading AAM using a different browser (chrome) with av and firewalls disabled.  It would not run.

To your last point, yes, I have uninstalled premier and acrobat.  Restarted the machine.  Run cc cleaner 4 times until all registry issues were resolved.  restarted the machine.  reinstalled acrobat (all with av and firewalls disabled).  Acrobat would not run.

Someone has suggested getting rid of all the adobe programs, and subfolders and then starting from scratch. Seems drastic.  Anything else to try?

• 11. Re: switch to new machine
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

davids

Did you ever try the scenario where you tried to install Premiere Elements on the cleaned computer with no trace of Acrobat?

ATR

• 12. Re: switch to new machine
                              davids495 Level 1

No I haven't tried that.  I did try installing acrobat on the cleaned computer with no trace (that I know of) of Premier Elements.  But acrobat didn't work

Seems as if there is some file or files lurking that are keeping the install from taking.  Shouldn't be a registry issue as I have cleaned that.  Any thoughts on where to look or what to try to delete manually?

• 13. Re: switch to new machine
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

davids

I use the free ccleaner product to do regular and registry cleaning. And, after that is finished, I go into the registry (Run/regedit) and go to Edit Menu/Find and work my way (Ctrl + F) through with target

Elements 14

then

Premiere Elements 14

then

Photoshop Elements 14

It is my belief that one never really gets all the wanted entries, but comes close.

I would feel most comfortable trying to install Premiere Elements on a super clean computer without any trace of Acrobat.

We might be back to where we started from after that, but....

ATR

• 14. Re: switch to new machine
                                  davids495 Level 1

YES!  Renaming the files to old allowed application manager to run and create a new set of files.  After that, all the Adobe programs are running just fine

Thanks for all your help in resolving this issue.

• 15. Re: switch to new machine
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

davids

Can you hear me applauding your success? Great news. Great job.

Thank you for staying with the troubleshooting and letting us know the outcome.

Best wishes

ATR