2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2015 6:03 PM by CtDave

I am trying to find out how to tag super and subscripts in a PDF file.

dv1495756

When I convert documents from Microsoft Word to Adobe PDF files, the process works fine. However, when I set the reader to read aloud, it reads the superscripts like a regular number rather than a superscript like in HTML code. Am I missing the proper way to tag super and subscripts??

• 1. Re: I am trying to find out how to tag super and subscripts in a PDF file.
          a C student Level 3

If the super and subscripts are references, for example to footnotes, they should be enclosed in Reference tags. The paragraph ...

Portable Document Format (PDF) is a file format used to present documents in a manner independent of application software, hardware, and operating systems.1 In 1991, Adobe Systems' co-founder John Warnock outlined a system called "Camelot"2 that evolved into PDF.

... would be tagged this way (underscores used for indentation).

<P>

___Portable Document Format ...

___<Reference>

______1

___In 1991, Adobe Systems' ...

___<Reference>

______2

___that evolved into PDF.

Sorry, I do not know of any way to automate this - although one of the advanced tools like CommonLook might have this capability. If the super and subscripts are something other than references, substitute <Span> for <Reference>.

• 2. Re: I am trying to find out how to tag super and subscripts in a PDF file.
            CtDave Level 5

PDF tags / elements are identified in the sub-clauses of clause 14 in the PDF reference (ISO 32000-1). In part 1 of this ISO standard there is no tag/element for superscript or subscript per se.

Be well...