6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2015 5:09 PM by rob day

Cheating the bleeds?

kellym32951444

Hello,

I am currently designing a children's book in Indesign. The images are a lot of spreads (crossing over the spine) The printer I am going with would like it sent single page PDF's with bleeds. I am just wondering if anyone has suggestions for saving out the PDF so I don't loose .25" of the middle of the image when being trimmed down? Thank you for any tips given

• 1. Re: Cheating the bleeds?
          Derek Cross Level 6

Don't include bleed on the inner edges of the pages of the InDesign document. When you export the doc to PDF, select pages (not facing pages), and tick use document bleed settings. If your printer hasn't specified, select PDF/X-4 from the Acrobat PDF presets. The printer will do the impostion.

• 2. Re: Cheating the bleeds?
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Actually, you should check with the printer about inside bleed -- they may want them, and in general they don't present a problem. The inside bleed area is the edge of the opposing page, and that is exactly what you want for crossover images. In cases where there is some sort of color break at the spine you can split the spread and extend the inside bleed manually. See InDesignSecrets » Blog Archive » Breaking Pages Apart to Bleed Off a Spine

• 3. Re: Cheating the bleeds?
              kellym32951444 Level 1

Thank you for the help.

The printer is requesting .125" bleeds on all sides. See attachment for rough example of what I have. Which way would you move the image(s) so I don't loose the .25" in the middle?
              Screen Shot 2015-12-14 at 4.30.21 PM.png

• 4. Re: Cheating the bleeds?
                kellym32951444 Level 1

It seems so simple, but I think Im over thinking it and confusing myself 

• 5. Re: Cheating the bleeds?
                  rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                  The printer I am going with would like it sent single page PDF's with bleeds. I am just wondering if anyone has suggestions for saving out the PDF so I don't loose .25" of the middle of the image when being trimmed down?

You wouldn't want to second-guess how the imposition will be handled and make manual adjustments to the pages without consulting the printer first. Most binding methods use folded and gathered signatures, so each signature would have a center sheet where there would be no adjustment for creep at the fold and the crossover would be completely visible. Any adjustments for creep have to be done at imposition.

• 6. Re: Cheating the bleeds?
                    rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Which way would you move the image(s) so I don't loose the .25" in the middle?

You won't loose any of the image, the PDF bleed area is repeating an 1/8 inch from the opposite page. The printer probably wants the inside bleed as a guide, but when the spread is imposed the left and right page will get lined up on the fold (the trim mark) edge, plus a small amount for paper creep as the signature is folded.