16 Replies Latest reply on Jan 10, 2016 9:13 PM by LynetteCas

What is happening with my files!?!?

LynetteCas

Hello.

Files that I've uploaded from flash cards into LR and sent to External hard drives as DNG now are suddenly saying 'file is missing or offline'. (external hard drives are plugged in)  I copied all as DNG and have edited some and need to go back to those files and edit more are just 'poof!'....offline or missing.  I

have never had this problem before.

I'm very worried!

• 1. Re: What is happening with my files!?!?
          Akash Sharma Adobe Employee

Hi LynetteCas

Which version of Lightroom are you using?

Please try locating them How to find missing photos in Photoshop Lightroom  and re-link them in Lightroom.

Then check if the problem persists.

Regards

Akash

• 2. Re: What is happening with my files!?!?
            Theresa J Adobe Community Professional

I've seen Lightroom have problems recognizing a drive when moving back and forth between Mac and PC. Any chance you did that? What OS are you using? Did you upgrade your OS since this problem started? Have you tried re locating them yet as Akash suggested. Re link the highest level folder and that should find everything inside.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: What is happening with my files!?!?
              dj_paige Level 9

Please state your operating system.

Are you disconnecting the external drive and then reconnecting it later? On Windows, that can be the cause of your problems.

• 4. Re: What is happening with my files!?!?
                LynetteCas Level 1

Thank you all for responses.

I am using Lightroom 5. ( not upgraded yet...need to)  and OS X Yosemite

No Windows involved at all.

I did try to go to 'library/find missing files in Library mod and also

clicking on the '!' in the upper right corner of a photo.  A dialog box

comes up but does not give me an option to do anything. It's very strange.

I normally upload photos into LR and send to the external HD as DNG.  I

rarely escape from my 'comfort zone' and I'm not very daring with LR, so

I'm not very good when I get out of my norm.  A few times recently I

uploaded photos to 'destination folder' and this was a first for me.  Could

that have something to do with this?

Thank you.

• 5. Re: What is happening with my files!?!?
                  dj_paige Level 9

Show us a screen capture of your Lightroom Library module, with the Folder Panel expanded, so we can see the problem.

Also please show us a screen capture of your Mac Finder window so we can see the names of your internal and external HD

• 6. Re: What is happening with my files!?!?
                    LynetteCas Level 1

I think this is what you're asking for.    Thank you.

I've edited a number of these photos already in Oct. immediately after the

wedding and sent over to the HD to show the couple. It was working fine and

then suddenly, just random folders are just 'poof'. Gone. There are about 8

random albums or so that just disappeared. No rhyme nor reason.   I did not

update or anything since any of these were uploaded. I have unplugged both

hard drives on occasion while I was away for two weeks and a few other

times, but this has not happened before.

• 7. Re: What is happening with my files!?!?
                      dj_paige Level 9

There are no screen captures. You can't send screen captures by e-mail.

• 8. Re: What is happening with my files!?!?
                        LynetteCas Level 1

I've never done a screen capture before. I actually had to search 'how to'

to do it.   How would I send them?

• 11. Re: What is happening with my files!?!?
                          dj_paige Level 9

My earlier request was:

Show us a screen capture of your Lightroom Library module, with the Folder Panel expanded, so we can see the problem.

Also please show us a screen capture of your Mac Finder window so we can see the names of your internal and external HD

I don't see a screen capture of Lightroom, and your screen capture of the Mac Finder needs to have the left side panel expanded so I can see the names of your hard disks.

• 12. Re: What is happening with my files!?!?
                            LynetteCas Level 1

I'm so sorry I'm not understanding.   In LR you are talking about the left side of the screen when I am in Library module...yes?   This is all... this is the farthest 'south' I can scroll.  I only have two external hard drives (Seagates)

As far as MacFinder... you are asking for the whole  left side when I click the 'face'/Finder? 

I'm really sorry I'm not understanding this. I'm quite a rookie at this.

• 13. Re: What is happening with my files!?!?
                              ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

Yes to both.

Show us all the information you can.

• 14. Re: What is happening with my files!?!?
                                LynetteCas Level 1

Thank you for your help a few weeks ago. Christmas got in my way and I didn't have time to do more here until just a day or so ago.

Four weeks later, I'm STILL totally stuck.  Those folders refused to show up no matter what I seemed to do.  I called Adobe 'help' and they were absolutely no help whatsoever. (in fact, the guy was trying to tell me that having more than one external hard drive in my computer was confusing LR terribly and I'd have to start from scratch. UGH!)

I was still using LR 5.   I called Adobe back and they talked me into upgrading and using 6.7 ( I believe it is) and CC etc.etc.   So, I REuploaded this wedding because I HAVE to to get this done 'yesterday'.   I saved 232 edited files in a 'quick collection' and tried exporting to an external HD.  I've done his for a few years now without trouble.  Suddenly, I CANNOT.    I don't have time to sit thru tutorials at the moment..I have to get this done.  

Why do these files refuse to go to my HD's and STILL, NONE of the albums are available. I can see them 'fuzzy' in Library, but for develop mode, they still say 'File not found'.   Both HD's are plugged into my iMac.

I'm SO SO SO frustrated.

• 15. Re: What is happening with my files!?!?
                                  Theresa J Adobe Community Professional

Go to the Folder panel in Lightroom. If Lightroom can't find the folder, it will show a question mark on it. Right click on the folder and choose, Find Missing Folder... Then navigate to the hard drive where the folder is located. This should fix the problem.

Screen Shot 2016-01-10 at 8.44.41 PM.png

• 16. Re: What is happening with my files!?!?
                                    LynetteCas Level 1

Thank you Theresa.  I did try that in LR5 before I updated. I've not tried it again since..  I will do that.

I did figure out why those 232 files were not exporting. I had typed 3,000 instead of 3000 on the export data...  Ugh!! )-:   They did export finally.

I noticed there is now a 'sync' in the library module. I've not tried it yet. I'm wondering how that works.

It's very nice that all the images will be available on all devices. Wow.

I need to get much more adventurous with LR.  I am missing out on so many great features. Always afraid to tangle things up and get stuck.

Thank you. I will try the above again.