14 Replies Latest reply on Dec 15, 2015 10:29 PM by ssprengel

Lens Correction Issues

hemiVision

After using Photoshop/Lightroom CC for many months it has now suddenly been applying lens correction automatically for my 16mm fisheye. This is quite frustrating as it seems to apply a second correction when using Photomerge HDR, which renders the image almost unusable!

Does anyone have a solution, as I seldom choose to correct for this lens!

• 1. Re: Lens Correction Issues
          Akash Sharma Adobe Employee

Hi hemiVision

Do you have a Develop preset applied to your images when you import them in Lightroom?

Make sure it is set to None

0000.PNG

Regards

Akash

• 2. Re: Lens Correction Issues
            hemiVision Level 1

I had the Metadata set to "import with Copyright", would that have messed with the lens profile?

• 3. Re: Lens Correction Issues

Change it to None

Create a new catalog and check if lens correction is still getting applied.

~Akash

• 4. Re: Lens Correction Issues
                hemiVision Level 1

"Create a new Catalogue", yikes!

I only have one and I don't really know how to make a new one...

Geez, I thought I was progressing rather well, now I feel like a newbie again...

I'll give it a go, and see what happen!

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it!

• 5. Re: Lens Correction Issues
                  hemiVision Level 1

Well...I created a new catalogue and imported the folder of pictures I was having the issue with and LR is still applying lens correction!

• 6. Re: Lens Correction Issues

Did you updated Lightroom recently?

~Akash

• 7. Re: Lens Correction Issues
                      ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You probably enabled lens corrections as a LR default for your camera so now every lens has lens corrections applied.

What you can do is save custom lens defaults for your fisheye with the Distortion slider set to 0 so it won't do any distortion correction by default but you can enable the CA and Vignetting correction so they're still applicable.

The way you set new lens profile defaults is to select a newly imported image, change the lens corrections settings how you want, then click the Setup item and choose Save New Defaults or whatever it says.  Then switch to another newly imported image from any lens, change the Setup to Default instead of Auto and press the Alt key and select Set Defaults (where the Reset button was) and choose to update your LR defaults to the current settings.  it is critical you start with newly imported images for each step and make only the adjustments you want the new defaults to be in each case otherwise you'll get more settings applied than you want.

• 8. Re: Lens Correction Issues
                        hemiVision Level 1

I've been subscribing for quite a while now, many months. I don't remember when I last updated LR, but I know that I've updated PS a couple of times over the last month, I think!

• 9. Re: Lens Correction Issues
                          hemiVision Level 1

Thanks, I think I understand what you are saying, but I can't seem to "set-up".

When I uncheck the "enable lens correction", the "set-up" and "default" graphic goes dark.

• 10. Re: Lens Correction Issues
                            hemiVision Level 1

This seems to have happened sometime between November 15th and 21st. All the imports with my 16mm fisheye are unaffected on and before the 15th and all the imports after have the lens profile applied. I don't remember changing anything, but who knows. The interesting thing is that the lens is a Minolta and the profile is for a Sony 16mm fisheye, but I guess they use the same coding, but my Minolta 28-75 f2.8 does not receive the Sony profile anytime, I have to manually apply it!

• 11. Re: Lens Correction Issues

You want to ENABLE Lens Profile Corrections, and have Setup set to Default instead of Auto--for all lenses--rather than disabling lens profile corrections, and set LR custom defaults to these two things:

Then you want to Set the Fisheye to have 0 distortion correction but all the other corrections intact, and use Setup - Save New Lens Profile Defaults -- don't worry that it says Custom at the point you're saving the new defaults here:

• 12. Re: Lens Correction Issues
                                hemiVision Level 1

Ok, I think I've got what you are saying ssprengel, I'll give it a go!

• 13. Re: Lens Correction Issues
                                  hemiVision Level 1

Ok, I've done what you have suggested and it seems to work.

My only concern is now to implement the lens correction, instead of checking the box, I now change from "default" to "auto", does this seem right? (I can also just move the distortion slider back to the middle as well)

It's workable, but not as it was...

• 14. Re: Lens Correction Issues

It seems like you're describing the opposite of what should be happening.

The setting of lens profile and LR custom default, described above, only cause changes for newly imported images or ones where you've clicked Reset.  The existing images you should set Default not Auto, manually.  Auto may pick the right profile but should have Distortion set to 100, still, which is I think what you don't want.

If you did the two steps in reverse order, then maybe you've turned off distortion correction for all lenses, not just the fisheye.

Start with a newly imported fisheye image.  What does the Lens Corrections area say for it's settings before you touch anything?