6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 15, 2015 8:17 AM by A.T. Romano

No preset for my project...

Jaronpv

Hey everyone!

Completely new to the adobe premiere app.  Actually, I'm basically new to video editing!  In my reading, I have seen that when starting a new project, it is good to select a preset that represents your video's qualities.  My video is filmed with an aerial drone.  4K video. No audio. 24 frames per second.  I notice there is no preset for this type of video.  I am using Premiere Elements 14.    I appreciate your suggestions on what to do!

• 1. Re: No preset for my project...
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Unless your video is an MOV file, if you are using Premiere Elements or later, the program should automatically set up its project to match your video specs. (In fact, I wouldn't recommend editing 4K on a version prior to version 13.)

The way to you can tell if the program has properly matched your video specs is that, when you add the clip to your timeline, there is NO yellow-orange line along the top of the timeline above your clip. Is that the case in your project?

• 2. Re: No preset for my project...
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Jaronpv

4K can represent 3840 x 2160 or 4090 x 2160. If your 4K = 4090 x 2160, there is no  project preset for that.

In the case of a 4K 4090 x 2160, the Premiere Elements 14 automatic project preset will give you a "closest fit" project present rather what it did in earlier versions, this is, a default 1080i project preset. If you are letting the project set the project preset automatically for you, best to check what it has set after the file has arrived on the Timeline. Please see Edit Menu/Project Settings/General.

Premiere Elements 12/12.1, 13/13.1, and 14/14.1 have 4K 3840 x 2160 project presets and export settings

For setting the project preset manually before you import your 4K, then use the following scheme

• Open the project to the Expert workspace, and go to File Menu/New Project and Change Settings.
            • In Change Settings, set the project preset to match the properties of the source media. OK out of there.
            • In the New Project dialog that opens, rename the project and make sure to have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project". OK out of there.
            • Back in the Expert workspace, import your source media using Add Media/ choice.

Please let us know your 4K resolution, and we will give you very specific instructions for a suggested workflow (import/export)

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: No preset for my project...
              Jaronpv Level 1

I am using version 14.  So I am good that way.   When you say a yellow-orange line, there is one that runs through the lip in the timeline.  But not above it.  Is this the line you are speaking of?

• 4. Re: No preset for my project...
                Jaronpv Level 1

My 4k is 4090X2160.  So would the 3840 x 2160 be the best fit?  I welcome your suggestions!  As I mentioned, I am new to this.  I did purchase a new machine for working with this video, so I shouldnt run into any issues that way.

• 5. Re: No preset for my project...
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Jaronpv

Since Premiere Elements 14 (also 12/12.1 and 13/13.1) have project presets and export presets for 4K Ultra HD 3840 x 2160, 3840 x 2160 would be your best fit. But, if you are forced by project goals to use 4090 x 2160, I will suggest a way....including manual setting of the project preset to avoid getting the project's "closest fit" which may not be all that close. And, there are ways to customize the export settings.

Please consider. Supplemental details will be supplied when and if you need them. Lots online about 4090 x 2160 versus 3840 x 2160.

Thanks for the follow up.

ATR

• 6. Re: No preset for my project...
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Jaronpv

Add on to my post 5......just in case ...the following is from Premiere Elements 12/12.1 and relates to the orange line over Timeline content and Timeline rendering to get the best possible preview. The orange line that runs horizontally through the clip is a different matter and is called the rubberband, and is not the render color indicator line.

Same principle as in Premiere Elements 14....

Render.JPG

ATR