7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 15, 2015 10:32 AM by gt92076288

Premiere Elements 13 - keeps stopping??

gt92076288

I have downloaded quite a few video and photo clips onto the time line and now want to edit these but constantly after a few minutes I get an error message that the "programme has stopped working and needs to close".  I am having to reopen the programme again then continue editing for another few minutes before it stops again.  I even tried rendering the project but that makes no difference. 

I have previously made three films successfully without this problem.

Any assistance appreciated.

Thank you

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 13 - keeps stopping??
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What operating system are you working on? Is it the 32-bit or 64-bit version of this OS?

Which processor does your computer have and how much RAM? How much free space is left on your hard drive?

What model of camcorder is your video coming from and what resolution and format is it? Is a clip of this video the first clip on your timeline?

Have you resized all of your photos to no larger than 2000x1500 pixels in size (72 ppi)?

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 13 - keeps stopping??
            gt92076288 Level 1

What operating system are you working on? Windows 10    Is it the 32-bit or 64-bit version of this OS? 32 bit op system x 64-based processor

Which processor does your computer have AMD A6-3430MX APU with Radeon HD Graphics 1.70 GHz  

and how much RAM?  6.00 GB (2.74 usable) How much free space is left on your hard drive? 574 GB free of 698

What model of camcorder is your video coming from Panasonic HC-V210 Full HD  and what resolution 10 mega pixels and format is it? I download the video clips onto the desktop (mts) and then insert them onto the timeline.   Is a clip of this video the first clip on your timeline? No

Have you resized all of your photos to no larger than 2000x1500 pixels in size (72 ppi)? The still photographs do not appear to be the problem, it's when I edit the vid clips

Many thanks

GT

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 13 - keeps stopping??
              gt92076288 Level 1

did not mean to indicate yours was the correct reply

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 13 - keeps stopping??

So you're saying you're not using any photos in your project? Okay. If you're using photos at all, the size of these photos is definitely affecting your performance.

Are you sure you have the 32-bit version of Windows 10? If so, there's no point in having  6 gigs of RAM. Your system can only use 4 gigs at most.

When you add one of your MTS files to the timeline in Expert view, do you see a yellow-orange line along the top of the timeline above the clip?

Meantime do note that your processor is on the lower end of processors for editing high-def video. As you can see from this chart, your processor rates about 2200. I always recommend a processor that rates 5000 or higher for best performance.

PassMark CPU Benchmarks - High Mid Range CPUs

So that could also be contributing to your issues.

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 13 - keeps stopping??
                  gt92076288 Level 1

So you're saying you're not using any photos in your project? I am using still photo's (Jpeg) but not had any problems previously Okay. If you're using photos at all, the size of these photos is definitely affecting your performance.

Are you sure you have the 32-bit version of Windows 10? If so, there's no point in having  6 gigs of RAM. Your system can only use 4 gigs at most.I copied the info from the systems page 

When you add one of your MTS files to the timeline in Expert view, do you see a yellow-orange line along the top of the timeline above the clip? Yes 

Meantime do note that your processor is on the lower end of processors for editing high-def video. As you can see from this chart, your processor rates about 2200. I always recommend a processor that rates 5000 or higher for best performance.

PassMark CPU Benchmarks - High Mid Range CPUs

So that could also be contributing to your issues.How do I increase that?

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 13 - keeps stopping??

I don't know any way to increase your benchmark number other than replacing your processor and/or motherboard or computer. Just know going in that your computer is not going to be able to handle any heavy duty high-def editing. Likewise, as I said, if your operating system is 32-bit, you're not going to be able to take full advantage of your RAM.  It's not an ideal computer for editing video, but you should be able to work on some smaller projects.

I'm very concerned that you're seeing a yellow-orange line along the top of the timeline, above your newly added clips. This indicates that your project settings aren't matching your media -- which they should do and usually do do automatically.

Try starting a new project and, on the New Project option screen, click Settings and manually select the preset for Full AVCHD 1920x1080. If your equipment is NTSC (American) then make sure you're choosing the NTSC preset. If it's PAL (Europe) make sure you've selected the PAL preset.

Then, on this new project, add an MTS video as your first clip on the timeline. Hopefully you will NOT see a yellow-orange line along the top of the timeline, above the clip, in Expert view. If you are, we've got problems.

If not, then try to build a project with just your video and see how far you get before you run into trouble.

But don't add your photos just yet. That's a whole other issue we'll have to tackle.

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 13 - keeps stopping??
                      gt92076288 Level 1

Thanks for the info., all beginning to look onerous.   Bit puzzled why I have managed to complete three other (shorter)  films using the same methodology.