14 Replies Latest reply on Sep 8, 2010 9:27 AM by J-Quest

Bugs in FW CS4 - My Ongoing List

BryceFlynn Level 1
      As the release date for CS4 approached, Adobe launched a media campaign to position the 'new' Fireworks as THE tool for creating rapid interactive prototypes. I was frustrated by the limitations of Axure (which I was using at the time), so I took the bait. My mistake.

FW CS4 has so far turned out to be one of the buggiest apps I've ever bet a project on, losing my edits so consistently that it reminds me of the bad old days of Windows NT 4. No doubt most or all of them have already been reported, so please don't bother to complain about 'already posted'. This is just my list of all the stop-ship-level bugs that are causing my days to be more long and painful than usual.

My system #1: Windows Vista Home Premium x64. HP desktop. Quad-core processor, 6GB RAM, ATI 8950 video card, 750GB SATA HD + 350GB SATA HD devoted entirely to scratch memory. Wacom tablet.

My system #2: Windows Vista Home Premium x32. Toshiba laptop. Dual-core processor. 3GB RAM, 250GB SATA HD with a separate partition devoted entirely to scratch memory.

Crashes and 'internal errors' are more frequent on the less-powerful system #2, suggesting that many issues could be due to legacy code that doesn't access system resources properly in a modern OS.

Crash during save. The most frequent and most harmful event, happens dozens of times per day but is not predictable. Sometimes occurs after only a few edits, sometimes occurs after dozens of edits. Rare or never: > 100 edits without a crash.

Internal error occurred. Internal error occurred. Always stated twice in the Alert box, suggesting that even error handling is poorly coded.

Freezes when performing system actions within a file dialog. Any attempt to perform basic functions during a save or open (e.g., creating or renaming a folder) locks up FW for up to 3 minutes. Activities outside of the FW window appear unaffected.

Added 14-Feb-09

Symbols containing symbols won't drag-n-drop from Common Library Even very simple symbols generate this error message: "Could not drag and drop. Not enough memory." Not enough memory, on systems with 3GB and 6GB memory, and 4-6GB of virtual memory.

"Swap symbols" selector list is misordered. Order should be alphabetical (as in Symbols palettes) not last-created.

Common Symbol replacement does not work. On dragging a common symbol into a document where that symbol already exists, a dialog offers the option to "replace all." This option has no effect - it replaces neither the symbol instance nor the master symbol in the Document library. It should be replacing all of those.

"File > Save as..." defaults to incorrect directory. Standard convention for this action has always been to open to the folder that the active file was opened from. FW instead always defaults to the last directory saved to, making it too easy to save files in unintended folders.

Added 17-Feb-09

Common Library panel update button does not update anything.

Duplicated Common Library symbols do not work properly A common library symbol, when duplicated & edited in a new document and saved, then dragged into a document with an instance of the original: A) does not appear in the Document Symbols panel; B) preserves the appearance of the original symbol.

Crash reporting stopped working on Vista x64 Makes life a little better for Adobe, they won't be getting 20+ crash reports from me any more.

Drag and drop error Dragging an instance from Common Library frequently generates error "Drag and drop failed" then completes the action successfully, anyway. A complete crash of FW usually follows with a few more actions.

Sharing/detaching shared layers is virtually unusable When shared layers are used, crashes happen far more frequently. Attempting to detach shared layers, to alleviate the first issue, generally leads to a crash after one or two more actions. Often, this crash happens while attempting save, causing most progress made to be lost.

Added 17-Feb-09

Text from MS Office pastes as a graphicText copied from Powerpoint, Word is pasted as graphic. Should be pasted as text. The conversion back to text must be done manually, making it unnecessarily hard to enter text supplied by another party. IMO, this bug is a true no-brainer! There is a workaround; paste the text into Notepad, then re-copy it and FW will recognize it as text not graphic - but why a workaround should be need for such a simple process remains an open question.

Added 18-Feb-09

Symbols dont update properly after a crash, and there are a LOT! of crashes. Symbol instances added from the common library may appear in the document canvas without appearing in the Document Library. Dragging a new copy from the Common Library results in erratic display (instance jumps randomly around the canvas) and ultimately, in a crash.
        • 1. Re: Bugs in FW CS4 - My Ongoing List
          Level 7
          BryceFlynn wrote:
          > As the release date for CS4 approached, Adobe launched a media campaign to
          > position the 'new' Fireworks as THE tool for creating rapid interactive
          > prototypes. I was frustrated by the limitations of Axure (which I was using at
          > the time), so I took the bait. My mistake.

Most people post here when they get very frustrated, so it's probably
          best to post your question up front before you get there. Did you have a
          question?

Rants are OK, of course, but I find them frustrating because I don't
          know what to do with them except suggest that you contact customer support.

--
          Linda Rathgeber - Adobe Community Expert
          http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/members/8.html
          --------------------------------------------------------------
          • 2. Re: Bugs in FW CS4 - My Ongoing List
            BryceFlynn Level 1
            I think I explained my intentions pretty well already, Linda. But if there is a question implied, it would be "Does Adobe intend to fix FW CS4? And if so, when?"
            • 3. Re: Bugs in FW CS4 - My Ongoing List
              Danjor23
              Hi,

I'm on Vista and I'm very surprised how many bugs I have since a couple of days (everything was fine before).

When I try to resize (ctrl+Maj+T) -> Incorrect parameter
              When I try ctrl+T -> error 08 is not a legal ECMA-262 octal constant
              It seems like it's damaged, lot of tools don t work anymore.

Reinstalling didn't solve a thing
              Right now I'm desperate it's useless to me too

Any help to fix it would be appreciated.
              • 4. Bugs in FW CS4 - My Ongoing List
                BryceFlynn Level 1
                Hi, Danjor23,

Some of my crashes corrupted the preferences files located in: C:\Users\[[[username]]]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Fireworks CS4\English. If you close FW and delete these files, then restart FW, it will rebuild these files to factory defaults. This could help with your tool problems.

Since crashes are soooooooo frequent, you might want to save a set of spares once you get your workspace setup, because it probably will keep happening to you.
                • 5. Re: Bugs in FW CS4 - My Ongoing List
                  Danjor23 Level 1
                  Thank you very much for the tip
                  Unfortunately problems are still there but if felt good to have at least something to try.
                  I guess we are juste rare exceptions because google doesn't seem to bring much help on my errors..
                  • 6. Re: Bugs in FW CS4 - My Ongoing List
                    Level 7
                    Danjor23 wrote:
                    > Thank you very much for the tip
                    > Unfortunately problems are still there but if felt good to have at least
                    > something to try.
                    > I guess we are juste rare exceptions because google doesn't seem to bring much
                    > help on my errors..

Have you tried contacting customer support?

--
                    • 7. Re: Bugs in FW CS4 - My Ongoing List
                      Danjor23 Level 1
                      I was trying to find a solution first, assuming if it happens to me, I'm pobably not the only one...
                      But I'll try to contact customer support right away. Before I get crazy :)
                      I'll come back and tell you guys what happens :)
                      Thank you all.
                      • 8. Re: Bugs in FW CS4 - My Ongoing List
                        trashstar Level 1
                        I'm having lots of problems too.
                        - Errors when trying to resize a box
                        - Text engine problems
                        - The dreaded 'internal error occured. Internal error occured' error.
                        - Seemingly randomly unselectable text boxes

Is Linda the Community Expert implying she never experiences any problems with Fireworks CS4?
                        Is there anyone out there who is not having problems with Fireworks CS4?

If you are out there using Fireworks CS4 in bug free bliss I'd sure love to know what kind of system you are running it on.

Has anyone come across any solutions whatsoever out there?
                        • 9. Re: Bugs in FW CS4 - My Ongoing List
                          Level 7
                          trashstar wrote:

> Is Linda the Community Expert implying she never experiences any problems with
                          > Fireworks CS4?

No. She just doesn't understand what you expect people in a user to user
                          forum to do about it. Have you filed a bug report? That's how the
                          engineers get notified of problems.

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

--
                          • 10. Re: Bugs in FW CS4 - My Ongoing List
                            Henrome

Hi Bruce,

I'm experiencing the same FW bugs and I'm so tired of them never got fixed by Adobe.

Have you found any solution so far?

• 11. Re: Bugs in FW CS4 - My Ongoing List
                              Michel Bozgounov Level 2

My Fw CS4 was pretty stable (even if there were some problems with text shifting, but the 10.0.3.011 patch fixed it). Overall, CS4 was slower and less performant than CS3, but still, it was working quite well on Windows.

I guess the reason might be, I am using  Fw CS4 on low end machines and perhaps it's working better then. Not sure, why, just a guess.

Fireworks CS4 10.0.3.011 on Windows XP Professional SP3 (32bit), Pentium 4 or Pentium-M, 1-2 GB memory, and Fireworks was always pretty stable... I've heard a lot of complaints from MacOS X Snow Leopard users, though... and that Fw CS4 could be working so bad on Vista is quite a news to me...

Best you can (or anyone having severe problems with Fireworks CS4) is to:

> contact Adobe and report any bugs to the Fireworks team (Linda posted a link a bit higher in this thread);

> and hope next version of Fireworks will work much better...

I know some of the Fireworks engineers listen (and sometimes post) in these forums, too, so occasionally posting a very specific description of some bugs/crashes and ask for help here might be a good idea, too...

Also, here you can find some good tips about making  Fireworks more stable:

http://www.nickcrossland.co.uk/blog/2009/make-fireworks-cs4-more-stable

Hope this helps!

• 12. Re: Bugs in FW CS4 - My Ongoing List
                                TJamers1

If you are having a lot of problems in Windows Vista as I was the solution that worked for me was to change the Compatibility Mode of Fireworks.exe to Windows XP 2.  I haven't had any of the internal errors, database errors or save errors.  In fact I haven't come across any errors so far.  Fireworks is really a fantastic program for web development.  I am really surpised that Adobe hasn't fixed all of the bugs.  It appears that Fireworks just isn't very compatible with Windows Vista.

• 13. Re: Bugs in FW CS4 - My Ongoing List
                                  Henrome Level 1

I used to love Fireworks too and I still need it.

But I'm having a lot of problems with Win XP SP3 (not Vista).

At the beginning, everything was OK.

But it started to act buggy several months ago.

I'm using it on 2 different computers, and even tried to reinstall the whole suite, without success: the same buggy behavior on both computers.

I'm sure it's a kind of conflict with a Windows update (possibly scripting engine) or another software.

Even if it is a conflict, it is a shame that a software that is supposed to be a professional one, and is so expensive is so buggy and unstable.

And no updates! No bug fixes! Only the right to buy the next CSx expecting that it will be more stable.

Shame on you Adobe! Your programmers are pittyfull and you absolutely don't care about your clients!

• 14. Re: Bugs in FW CS4 - My Ongoing List
                                    J-Quest

Thanks TJamers for the tip on running FW CS4 in Win XP SP2 mode. I'll give that a shot.

I've been running FW CS4 on a DELL with 2.9Ghz Intel Core i7 processor and 12 GB of RAM - VISTA 64bit. ATI RADIO 4850 video card.

I've consistently had "out of memory" erros with FW CS4 when working on multi-page PNGs. I've been using the Fireworks - AutoBackup AIR utility to make incremental backups of my files as I work every 5 min to keep from loosing my work (and my mind ).  I guess Adobe never really tested this on VISTA and now with Win 7 out and CS5.... maybe things have improved.

I LOVE using Fireworks and have been using it since it's incarnation by Macromedia. It's by far the best tool for web page layouts and interface design. Just with Adobe would have tested it more before releasing it or at least come out with a fix to plug the memory leak.

I'll report back later to see if the Compatibility Mode solves my problems.

Cheers!