4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 15, 2015 1:38 PM by adobenewbie123

exporting to standard definition from a HD project

adobenewbie123 Level 1

Hi,

I am currently using premiere Elements 10 and my project settings are DSLR  1920 x 1080, 29.97 frames per second, sqaure pixels, progressive scan.  I typically export to a 1920 x 1080 mp4 which yields a file size of 13gb.  For this one particular festival, I need to get the file size under 2 GB and it still needs to be a mp4.  So my strategy was to downsize to 720 x 480 during the export as standard definition options in Adobe all seem to yield a much lower file size within my limit.  But I was not sure what setting to choose so I wanted to get recommendations on the best pre-set under share for exporting this type of file? 

• 1. Re: exporting to standard definition from a HD project
          A.T. Romano Level 7

adobenewbie123

I do not recommend your choice of exporting a 16:9 project to a 4:3 destination. Go for the 16:9 project to a 16:9 destination.

Have you looked at the possibilities for

a. lowering the bitrate for the .mp4 export

or

b. going for a Window Media export

When all is said and done, if you still want the lower frame size MP4 export from your 16:9 project, consider....

Premiere Elements 10 Windows...

a. Premiere Elements 10 with its NTSC/DSLR/1080p/DSLR 1080p30 project preset.

b. When you get to export....

Computer

AVCHD

with Presets = MP4 - NTSC DV Widescreen

The frame size is 720 x 480 to start with but with the 16:9 flag is will be displayed at about 872 x 480 pixels after encoding and recognition of the 16:9 flag by the player. But the bottom line, this way you will have a 16:9 project going to a 16:9 destination.

Other choices if you want to step up to 1280 x 720 16:9.

Please consider and then we can decide what is going to work for you.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: exporting to standard definition from a HD project
            adobenewbie123 Level 1

Hey ATR,

Thanks as always for the great insight.  I first looked into a 720p preset by choosing the VimeoHD preset option but that only brought the size  down to 4gb and I need it under 2gb.  Did you have other suggestions? If not, I'll try the MP4 - NTSC DV Widescreen.  Sounds like I can use all of the defaults for that pre-set?

• 3. Re: exporting to standard definition from a HD project
              A.T. Romano Level 7

adobenewbie123

Thanks for the follow up.

You should be using the defaults for Share/Computer/AVCHD with preset = NTSC DV Widescreen for your AVCHD.mp4 as described in prior post in your thread.

The Windows Media would put you at an advantage file size wise but you want a .mp4 file and not .wmv.

You could explore lowering the bitrate of the following until you see a significant decrease in quality below a certain bitrate setting

Computer

AVCHD

with Presets = MP4 H.264 1920 x 1080 p30

and then do your experimentation under the Advanced Button/Video Tab and the bitrate setting.

We will be watching for your progress.

Thanks for exploring the suggestions.

ATR

• 4. Re: exporting to standard definition from a HD project
                adobenewbie123 Level 1

Hey ATR,

WMV was a good tip to get the file size down at a 720p but in this particular case, it is still coming in well above the 2 GB limit I was looking for.  Plus it needed to be .mp4.  But that is till good knowledge for future reference!