11 Replies Latest reply on Dec 15, 2015 5:20 PM by jodyradobeid

Lightroom CC stops importing after 5 images....

jodyradobeid

I am on a trial version of Lightroom to decide if I want to switch from Aperature.  I was able to import photos from my iPhone but today, I am trying to import from a camera (includes photo and video files on the camera) into Lightroom and it imports 5 images exactly and stops.  More are importing onto my hard drive before halting but the status bar sits and never moves.

I can import into Aperture without issues.   I have seen a ton of "guesses" as to problems but not a real answer and concerned whether to really move to Lightroom if it is this problematic.  I have had Aperture for years and never an issue with import or it taking very long.  It might continue to work in the background but I can start using it and viewing photos extremely quickly.

Some notes based on other thread comments.

The computer has been rebooted. 

I am running the latest version of Lightroom  - just installed for the trial.  It worked for importing 2000 iPhone photos but seems to not like importing from a camera.

LR is seeing the camera and previewing the images for me to select for import just fine.

I am not shooting in RAW and not using Copy as DNG - just copy.

I am not using any import settings other than

-build previews as Standard (moved down from 1:1)

-Don't import duplicate

-selected a destination folder in My Pictures on my hard drive  - this folder has read & write permissions (checked)  and have over 50% free space on hard drive

LR imports 5 photos quickly and then stops - the status bar for import never shows progress again and cannot tell anything is working.   Eventually I kill it and restart LR and start the process over again and it does exactly 5 pictures and stops.   More photos have imported into Pictures on HD than into LR, is it just this slow???? I am generally importing 100s of pictures at a time.  Aperture would have had this done in less than 5 minutes.  Is LR just extremely slow in comparison?   Can someone provide some insight into this?  My computer is iMac with 8GB memory and a 3TB fusion drive. I am not having issues or difficulties with any other programs and not running anything else other than Safari while trying to do the import.  

• 1. Re: Lightroom CC stops importing after 5 images....
          Chetna Srivastava Adobe Employee

Hi jodyradobeid,

Could you please copy some images from your camera card to your hard drive ( may be pictures) through Finder and then, import in Lightroom directly from that folder instead of camera just to check if that works well.

• 2. Re: Lightroom CC stops importing after 5 images....
            dj_paige Level 9

Some things to try:

• Disable the Graphics acceleration (Preferences, click on the Performance Tab, uncheck the box)
            • Try different hardware ... if you were using a card reader, try using a cable to the camera (or vice versa)
            • If there are videos on the camera card, copy them to your hard disk and then delete them off of the camera card and then import

Lastly, many people say they are using the latest version of LR, when in fact they are not. So please state the exact version number of Lightroom that you have installed. If it is not Lightroom 6.3 or Lightroom CC 2015.3, then upgrade.

• 3. Re: Lightroom CC stops importing after 5 images....
              jodyradobeid Level 1

If LR cannot import from a Camera then it is really the right tool to replace Aperture??

I have imported images from my hard drive yes, that does work.

I have imported these images from this same camera into Aperture with no issues.  Lightroom is touted as a replacement for Aperture.  I do not use a card reader as have never had an application not be able to import from the camera.  It is importing 5 images and stopping so it is seeing it, it is just either ridiculously slow or ??

• 4. Re: Lightroom CC stops importing after 5 images....
                jodyradobeid Level 1

So Lightroom doesn’t support cameras that do Video and Photos both???

I do not use card readers - don’t own one  - always just use the camera to import and this camera imports fine to aperture.

I can check on the graphics acceleration but I need that for other things and if LR doesn’t support that then again, maybe this isn’t the best program.

• 5. Re: Lightroom CC stops importing after 5 images....
                  dj_paige Level 9

LIghtroom does support both videos and photos. However sometimes importing works better if the card (or folder) has only photos.

Turning off the graphics acceleration in Lightroom doesn't affect it in other programs, it still works outside of Lightroom.

• 6. Re: Lightroom CC stops importing after 5 images....
                    jodyradobeid Level 1

Latest update:

I am running 2015.3 release and if I check for updates, it says I am running the latest version - no updates available.

If I import the pictures separately onto the computer using another application then attempt to import pictures from that hard drive location to LR, it sort of works.  I see the photos as thumbnails as the last import but the import files status bar doesn't show as finished so no clue what it is still doing and what is taking awhile to complete.   I am not sure how to tell what is happening or what is not finished.  Something is still happening or locked up as it doesn't give me an option to import any more pictures - still stuck in some process.  I do not see that the collection I asked for it to add to shows the new pictures but not sure what if anything this is doing or how long I am supposed to wait.  I am also not sure why it is not adding them to the collection selected as part of the import process. 

Since it is still not working complete or it's just an extremely slow application (it's 50 pictures total), my only "guess" as to the partial resolution is LR doesn't support import from my Canon SX700 or LR doesn't support importing on devices that include mixed media i.e. video and photos.   I have another camera to test but stuck waiting for this first import to ever state it is finished before I can do anything else.

Please let me know if you have any other "advice" as to why this is not progressing to complete.   For reference, it moved from 0 to 3/4 complete on the status bar almost instantly and then been stuck at 3/4 complete for 20 minutes or so.

• 7. Re: Lightroom CC stops importing after 5 images....
                      dj_paige Level 9

my only "guess" as to the partial resolution is LR doesn't support import from my Canon SX700

That's not it, Lightroom does support your camera.

LR doesn't support importing on devices that include mixed media i.e. video and photos

That's not it, Lightroom does indeed support this, I haven't had any problems, although people report there are problems. You didn't say if you tried to remove the videos from the camera card and then try importing the JPGs.

• 8. Re: Lightroom CC stops importing after 5 images....
                        jodyradobeid Level 1

It’s not practical to remove videos from the camera as a solution so no didn’t try doing that.  Again, this all worked on Aperture and iPhoto and every other program I have tried so not sure why LR would be so different.    I cannot try anything right now as it is still trying to complete some unknown process.  I haven’t found anything that gives me a real status as to what the application is trying to do - it’s just the unfinished status bar.

• 9. Re: Lightroom CC stops importing after 5 images....
                          jodyradobeid Level 1

New update:  I gave up waiting and hit the X next to the import status bar and soon as I did that, it actually started something new and showed it was building previews which completed really quickly.  I still do not know why the first import process cannot complete and seems to hang without an error message or other information.   This also seemed to fix the issue that it wasn't adding to my collection - that step completed after I stopped the hung import process.  No idea if I have any other issue with what I stopped since not sure what LR was trying to do.

I connected a different camera - Canon EOS Rebel and it is showing it is attempting to copy and import photos and has progressed to show thumbnails for many pictures so it's working better.  As for the first camera, no idea why LR didn't like that - it's a newer camera as far as when I purchased it though not a new model of camera and has the same card inside as the camera that is working - same class and size - maybe not same brand.  Used the exact same USB cable and slot for both cameras and the exact same steps.  Both had mixed media on the camera and the Rebel has larger files and more files on it to import so would think if anything, it would be the problem.

• 10. Re: Lightroom CC stops importing after 5 images....
                            dj_paige Level 9

jodyradobeid wrote:

It’s not practical to remove videos from the camera as a solution so no didn’t try doing that.

The idea is to diagnose the problem, probably one time; the idea is not to recommend this as a permanent workflow.

• 11. Re: Lightroom CC stops importing after 5 images....
                              jodyradobeid Level 1

The videos were not a problem with the other camera so it is just the one camera that does not seem to work with LR - the other one imported fine. I guess it is either the camera or the card brand - not sure what else it could be.