3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 16, 2015 12:57 PM by rob day

Is there any good reason for keeping the old Document Setup Page Size?

Emmie50706971 Level 1

I opened an InDesign document and started making edits. Then the ruler caught my eye because the page's right margin was beyond 9 inches and I thought this was a letter-sized document. I opened the document setup, and it said letter. The Pages palette showed there was only one page in the document, no alternate layouts, one master page that's letter sized. Of course there's a "Custom V" layout in the Pages palette, because there's always a "Custom V" layout when a doc is open. When you pull down the Custom Page Size panel at the bottom of the Pages palette, there is no check next to any of the listed options. But if you continue and click on "Custom…" in the list, it will show the page size is not letter.

I assume someone used Liquid Layout or the Page Tool or the Custom Page Size flyout menu or something to resize this one-page document. Is there a preference I need to click to have the current page size displayed on-the-go while I am viewing that page instead of making me dig for it? Is there a point to the Document Setup's Page Size being displayed as letter in the above scenario?

• 1. Re: Is there any good reason for keeping the old Document Setup Page Size?
          rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Of course there's a "Custom V" layout in the Pages palette, because there's always a "Custom V" layout when a doc is open.

Not if you choose Vertical or Horizontal from View pages. If you do that with all docs closed all new docs will display with your choice.

id.png

If you choose By Alternate Layout you might at a minimum get Custom V, but it would also show any alternates:

Screen Shot 2015-12-15 at 7.39.17 PM.png

You can check whether a page is different from the document setup by selecting only that page in the Pages panel and checking the Edit page pop-up. Here my page size is 3x3 and the doc size is letter. If you select multiple different sized pages in the panel nothing will be checked.

id2.png

Is there a point to the Document Setup's Page Size being displayed as letter in the above scenario?

The Document Setup's size would handle any pages that aren't custom. So here pages 3-5 are not custom and they respond to Document Setup, while the custom sized pages 1-2 remain unchanged:

Screen Shot 2015-12-15 at 7.51.17 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-12-15 at 7.52.06 PM.png

• 2. Re: Is there any good reason for keeping the old Document Setup Page Size?
            Emmie50706971 Level 1

This answer was thorough and I give props to community members who take time out of their day to try to help people like me with questions. You, rob day, are awesome[squared]. And I understand that your reply may help others visualize what I was talking about. But this answer did not answer/solve my problem.

Screen Shot 2015-12-16 at 10.09.37 AM.png

Screen Shot 2015-12-16 at 9.16.42 AM.pngScreen Shot 2015-12-16 at 10.08.45 AM.png

My document (and my InDesign's default) is already set to "By Alternate Layout." This document has one page only. Its one page is (not obviously) "custom," which is a ridiculous label when there are no other pages and something named "custom" appears in the pages palette even when there are no custom pages.

Here is a screenshot of what I'm talking about:

Screen Shot 2015-12-16 at 10.53.04 AM.png

I need a simple way to see in the above scenario (other than scrutinizing the rulers if they're visible) that this document is not the size it claims to be. It can be a keyboard shortcut, a palette setting, or a preference.

Here’s how Acrobat, in contrast, handles reporting page sizes:

Screen Shot 2015-12-16 at 10.23.33 AM.png

Each page, as you view it, shows that page's size. Done. Of course you still can't tell quickly in a multiple-page file if one of them is a different size, but Acrobat is not a layout app.

If someone can tell me what preference setting or keyboard shortcut or panel (or whatever) will make the InDesign page sizes more obvious and less deceptive, that would help me.

• 3. Re: Is there any good reason for keeping the old Document Setup Page Size?
              rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Its one page is (not obviously) "custom," which is a ridiculous label when there are no other pages and something named "custom" appears in the pages palette even when there are no custom pages.

When you view By Alternate Layout the name of the layout could be anything—yours just happens to have the word custom in it. So here I have a single layout named Rob's Layout:

Screen Shot 2015-12-16 at 12.44.31 PM.png

Double-click the layout name to edit it.

Screen Shot 2015-12-16 at 3.54.56 PM.png

I could add another layout and give it any name:

Screen Shot 2015-12-16 at 12.47.50 PM.png

that this document is not the size it claims to be.

There can be only one document size, but the document pages can have any size applied. If you add a new page with the [None] master applied to it the new page size will match the document size.

The Control or Transform panels will give you the page dimensions if you click on a page with the Page tool. Here I've imitated your document

Screen Shot 2015-12-16 at 12.58.38 PM.png