5 Replies Latest reply on May 12, 2006 2:51 PM by Newsgroup_User

Is it necessary to use only web safe colors? 

computerkitten Level 1
      Is it necessary to choose only the web safe colors for a website or is that old school? My instructor talked about how its necessary to use web safe colors but I know too that the displays today can show much more.

I happen to like picking out one of the Dreamweaver color cubes but then lightening them up.

Please verify.

Thanks,
      Angie
        • 1. Re: Is it necessary to use only web safe colors?
          Level 7
          Unless you're worried that someone out there might still have a 256-color
          display, then don't waste your time worrying about "web-safe" colors. Your
          instructor is a decade out of date.

"computerkitten" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:e3tb2e$c8i$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > Is it necessary to choose only the web safe colors for a website or is
          > that old
          > school? My instructor talked about how its necessary to use web safe
          > colors
          > but I know too that the displays today can show much more.
          >
          > I happen to like picking out one of the Dreamweaver color cubes but then
          > lightening them up.
          >
          > Please verify.
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Angie
          >

• 2. Re: Is it necessary to use only web safe colors?
            Level 7
            computerkitten wrote:
            > Is it necessary to choose only the web safe colors for a website or
            > is that old school? My instructor talked about how its necessary to
            > use web safe colors but I know too that the displays today can show
            > much more.
            >
            > I happen to like picking out one of the Dreamweaver color cubes but
            > then lightening them up.
            >
            > Please verify.
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Angie

Ask your instructor when did he last write a commercial website.... he's
            several years out of date. Be aware that colours will look different on PC
            and Mac platforms, and also between LCD and CRT monitors, and stop worrying.
            There are few instances where the difference will be important enough to
            warrant tuning.

FWIW, you'll learn an awful lot more in this newsgroup than from most web
            design courses. Lots of the people in here work with real live clients - we
            have opinions, everyone works differently, but the vast majority of us know
            a little bit about what we do for a living.

Regards,

Pete.
            --
            Peter Connolly
            http://www.acutecomputing.co.uk
            Derby
            UK
            Skype ID: acutecomputing

• 3. Re: Is it necessary to use only web safe colors?
              Level 7
              > Is it necessary to choose only the web safe colors for a website

No.

> My instructor talked about how its necessary to use web safe colors

Go the registrar's office and ask for your money back. Then enroll in a
              better school.

-Darrel

• 4. Re: Is it necessary to use only web safe colors?
                computerkitten Level 1
                HAHAHAHAHAHAHA okay.... I am so glad to have this group to bounce this off of. When he talked about it in class I was wondering. Thanks for all of you getting back to me and also giving me a good laugh.

Angie
                • 5. Re: Is it necessary to use only web safe colors?
                  Level 7

"computerkitten" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                  news:e3tb2e$c8i$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  > Is it necessary to choose only the web safe colors for a website or is
                  > that old
                  > school? My instructor talked about how its necessary to use web safe
                  > colors
                  > but I know too that the displays today can show much more.

in addition to what others have mentioned, you might take a look at the
                  article "Death of the Websafe Color Palette?" -
                  http://webmonkey.wired.com/webmonkey/00/37/index2a.html?tw=design