25 Replies Latest reply on Aug 15, 2016 2:50 AM by Richard Broom

InDesign Crashes doing Data Merge from CC2015

imtkenn

I recently updated my InDesign to  11.2.0.99 Bulid and when using the Data Merge it will crash when doing the merge document. It does not matter how many records are generated it will crash before the merge document is created.

Did not have this problem with previous Build of InDesign.

• 1. Re: InDesign Crashes doing Data Merge from CC2015
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Have you previously run Data Merge successfully with this same data file?

• 2. Re: InDesign Crashes doing Data Merge from CC2015
            imtkenn Level 1

Yes it will run with the pervious Build of InDesign. I tried it on another computer and it ran fine.

Thank you

Ken Brown

Digital Prepress

• 3. Re: InDesign Crashes doing Data Merge from CC2015

How about with a different user on this machine?

• 4. Re: InDesign Crashes doing Data Merge from CC2015
                imtkenn Level 1

Same result. Not User error. Also same file works on a PC with CC2015 on that platform.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Thank you

Ken Brown

Digital Prepress

• 5. Re: InDesign Crashes doing Data Merge from CC2015

I wasn't implying user error (and maybe you misunderstood, I meant create and log in with a different user account). Checking in another account tells us if there is a problem in your current user library. Similarly, starting the Mac with the Shift key down is a test to see if it's a software conflict.

• 6. Re: InDesign Crashes doing Data Merge from CC2015
                    imtkenn Level 1

Ok. Misunderstood. What do I need to do to try the restart with Shift down?

Thank you

Ken Brown

Digital Prepress

• 7. Re: InDesign Crashes doing Data Merge from CC2015
                      imtkenn Level 1

I tried it again and this is the error massage I keep getting.

Thank you

Ken Brown

Digital Prepress

• 8. Re: InDesign Crashes doing Data Merge from CC2015

It looks like you tried to attach something to an email response. The forums don't accept attachments, so you should return tot he web page and use the camera icon to embed an image, like this:

CameraIcon.png

Starting with the shift key down should be self-explanatory -- hold down the shift key while the Mac starts up. Release when the OS has loaded. Byut we need the other user info, too. Create a new user and try that.

• 9. Re: InDesign Crashes doing Data Merge from CC2015
                          normar28561211 Level 1

This is an ongoing issue...at least since January of 2014. I have just begun to experience it after a recent update in CC.I am using a Mac. Details don't matter. The file completes the merge, generates the no overset message and then crashes. I can provide the crash info, if necessary.

The main point is...why has this not been fixed after 2 years???

See this thread...there are some work-arounds here.

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1385686?tstart=0

• 10. Re: InDesign Crashes doing Data Merge from CC2015

Actually, details DO matter if you expect anyone to be able to track down the problem...

• 11. Re: InDesign Crashes doing Data Merge from CC2015
                              normar28561211 Level 1

Thank your for your prompt reply, Peter. What details would you like?

If you see the other thread I referenced, you will notice that both Mac and PC users are having this problem, with a variety of versions of CC, but not with CS6. And since this has been going on since 2014, apparently the version of CC doesn't matter. It seems to be happening with a variety of files, so the actual number of pages or placement of the data doesn't affect the outcome. I will be happy to provide whatever information you would like.

• 12. Re: InDesign Crashes doing Data Merge from CC2015

You should supp;ly the version of ID and the OS, and how the CSV file was created, and whether the same file works in CS6. Also, any non-adobe plugins for ID that might be installed, and whether the problem is there when starting is Safe mode ( which will tell the techs something about the possibility for background program conflicts.

I'm not saying this isn't a real problem, but it needs to be reproducible to fix, and the more info, the better.

• 13. Re: InDesign Crashes doing Data Merge from CC2015
                                  Richard Broom Level 1

I've had this problem.  I believe you'll find it is something to do with previewing the file when before you carry out the data merge.  There's a similar problem where the data merge text boxes are offset following a data merge.  I'm so used to NOT previewing data merge documents (I use data merge all the time), I'm not sure if the problem has been fixed yet.  It has been a long standing problem with data merge.

I create data merge documents (names, addresses, details etc) and what I do is create the various documents in part (without previewing) in separate documents and if the separately created documents are okay, then I move them into a larger 'mothership document'.  The problem I am having there now is that when I move pages to the mothership document, I sometimes get the responsive layouts (pages panel) kicking in for no reason I can  put my finger on.  It all makes the job just a bit tedious and wastes quite a lot of time.

Richard

• 14. Re: InDesign Crashes doing Data Merge from CC2015
                                    Colin Flashman Adobe Community Professional

I've been having the same issues as the OP, that is when a file is merged to a new indesign file, the merged file appears briefly, followed by the beachball-of-death, and then crash. Working on Mac OSX 10.9.5 running InDesign 11.2.0.99 Build - English version. What I CAN'T be certain of is whether it was the data type making it crash (e.g. ASCII, UTF-8 or UTF-16, Classic Mac or Unix line breaks... not sure there) but it was using single merge output to a new ID file.

I can remedy this by trashing prefs and reloading, but the issue comes back from time to time with no rhyme or reason as to why, and i'm starting to lose patience with trashing my prefs. That said, anyone who has followed my work or knows my history on this site knows that I use data merge a LOT and have written several javascripts to assist with data merges that I perform.

However, the thread linked to by

• 15. Re: InDesign Crashes doing Data Merge from CC2015
                                      Monica Singh Adobe Employee

Hi All,

I have tried reading the crash logs as is attached in the thread mentioned in earlier post. But seems like we might need the files to reproduce the crash at our end.

@imktkenn @Cloin Flashman Can you guys please share the idml file and the source file with which you are facing this crash...

It would be of great help in faster investigation..

You can share your asset with monsingh@adobe.com either via mail or Dropbox.

Thanks,

Monica Singh

InDesign Engineering Team.

• 16. Re: InDesign Crashes doing Data Merge from CC2015

Months on and the issue is still unresolved, regardless of the minor upgrade that was released recently. Even upgrading my Mac OS from 10.9.5 to 10.11.3 made no difference.

HOWEVER, I did encounter something that made a difference. It was a checkbox that - if left unchecked, would NOT cause the fault. If checked, THEN the fault occurred.

The checkbox is in the Create Merged Document and this error only occurs when exporting to a new ID file, not when making PDFs:

dontturnthison.png

To further highlight this, I've made a video of the reasoning for this: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/55743036/DM%20issues%20still.mp4

1 person found this helpful
                                        • 17. Re: InDesign Crashes doing Data Merge from CC2015
                                          Gaurav Bhargava Adobe Employee

Thanks for the video Colin. I followed the same steps as your video but didn't encounter the crash. Will it possible for you to share the template & data source file? It will help us isolate the issue & fix it.

• 18. Re: InDesign Crashes doing Data Merge from CC2015

I've had another instance where I was able to screen capture a different file behaving in the same way. I packaged the file, along with the video, and sent the link to Monica Singh at Adobe.

PM me if you would like to see that link, or speak to Monica.

• 19. Re: InDesign Crashes doing Data Merge from CC2015

Sorry for the continued flogging of this dead horse, but I think I have an answer, at least in my set of circumstances.

On my machine, Data Merge will crash in a limited set of circumstances:

1. Must be merging to a new InDesign file (not a PDF or merging via a script);
                                              2. Must be merging with the "Generate Overset Text Report with Document Creation" checkbox in the checked position;
                                              3. The command to merge MUST be from the Data Merge panel flyout that says "Create Merged Document" - that is, it won't fault if the merge function is called by using the merge button in the bottom right hand corner of the Data Merge panel, nor if it is called in from the Quick apply command;
                                              4. Must be running a Wacom tablet device.

I've come to this conclusion after recently installing ID on a macbook and having NO data merge crashes at all. I then decided to add my Wacom tablet drivers so I could use my tablet (the navigation with the built-in trackpad was driving me insane) and then BOOM, it faults.

Despite this, a fix would be tremendous!

2 people found this helpful
                                              • 20. Re: InDesign Crashes doing Data Merge from CC2015
                                                Richard Broom Level 1

Colin, Please don't hold your breath.  The data merge problems have been with us for a long, long, time now.........

• 21. Re: InDesign Crashes doing Data Merge from CC2015
                                                  debraw12677924

Yes. This is a new issue since we updated MS Outlook - could it be an issue with the .csv file created in Excel?

• 22. Re: InDesign Crashes doing Data Merge from CC2015
                                                    kristic95910492

I only recently have had an issue with the data merge and it too was after a windows/Microsoft update. If I uncheck the "Generate Overset Text..." message and the "Alert When Images are Missing" ... the merge works as it is supposed too.

• 23. Re: InDesign Crashes doing Data Merge from CC2015
                                                      normar28561211 Level 1

I have never had this problem with my Windows 7 (InDesign CS6), but I experienced it in all it's glory on my work Mac (whatever the newest version is) with InDesign CC 15 and 16. My only work-around was to save the file BEFORE I merged, then merge, let it crash and then re-set the preferences, after which everything would work fine. Tiring, to say the least.

But then I read that if you uncheck the message about the overset text report, it seems to work fine. So I began doing that. I was happy. The machine was happy.

Now, suddenly (after latest update of InDesign CC), the check box for generating overset text report is checked by default and I noticed they moved one of the icon buttons under the data merge window. I forgot to uncheck the overset text report box and once again, my Mac and InDesign are completing the Data Merge as expected. I have been able to data merge many files over the last couple of weeks, when I first noticed.

Hopefully, they have found and resolved this problem.

• 24. Re: InDesign Crashes doing Data Merge from CC2015
                                                        Steven Edney Level 1

I am now experiencing the same crashing problem on Mac. The overset text report check box solution doesn't work. Neither does resetting preferences. Even tried creating a clean, test, user account. Tried without "preview" first.

Still crashing.

Just tried an uninstall and re-install of InDesign from the Creative Cloud panel and now none of the apps work - getting an error 16 report.

Have latest InDesign CC and OS X etc.

• 25. Re: InDesign Crashes doing Data Merge from CC2015
                                                          Richard Broom Level 1

I sometimes wonder if Adobe will EVER fix the data merge problems which have been with us for a long, long time now.....

Richard