- Version and OS?
- What is the exact message of the failure notice? Screen shot?
- Where did the PDF come from? You should see it in the PDF's document properties as creator. Click with the right mouse button on the page and open document properties. Often CAD program created PDFs cause problems as they have lines without defined line thickness.
- What are the PDF export settings?
- PDFs which are protected in any kind (password on opening, limited editing, etc.) will not allow to write any other PDF out of InDesign.
- Are all fonts in the PDF embedded or at least available on your computer? If not, you will not be able to export a PDF out from InDesign with any X or VT standard.
I'd say, that password protected PDFs could not be placed at all. At least the ones, that need a password to open the PDF.
The ones that restrict printing with a password could be placed (after you enter the password when prompted while placing) and could be exported to PDF after placing. But they will only show a gray box for the contents after exporting. No background task failure as far as I can see.
Please correct me, if I'm wrong.
I think you are right. But the other pints are valid anyway. And as long as we don't know more about the failure and the PDF we can guess, but will not know anything.
Yesterday I had a background task warning message, not a failure, with an PDF Export.
But this was a very exotic cause. Had the "Watermark" feature enabled (you can do this only by scripting and only using RGB colors) and wanted to export to PDF/X-1a afterwards:
Farben in mindestens einer platzierten Grafik können nicht als CMYK dargestellt werden. Nicht-CMYK-Farben werden jedoch nicht vom PDF/X-1a-Standard unterstützt. Beim Export wird eine gültige PDF-Datei erstellt, sie ist jedoch nicht
The whole message was not readable. Btw. there was no image placed. So this message is a bit misleading.
Are there any tricks to get the whole message?
See this screenshot from InDesign CS6 v8.1.0 on Mac OSX 10.7.5 :