13 Replies Latest reply on Dec 21, 2015 3:05 PM by jbngar

Add new tab using keyboard - ctrl-shift-enter

jbngar

In CS4 I used to be able to quickly create tabs by typing, say, 10 in the tab X value box, then pressing ctrl-shift-enter would place a tab marker at 10mm and keep focus in the X value box. I could then type 20, press ctrl-shift-enter again, and it would place a new marker at 20mm.

In CC this doesn't appear to work - no key combinations seem to create a new tab marker, they just move the existing one.

Any ideas why this behaviour has changed?

• 1. Re: Add new tab using keyboard - ctrl-shift-enter
          Derek Cross Level 6

Maybe that combination has been assigned to another, system, use.

• 2. Re: Add new tab using keyboard - ctrl-shift-enter
            jbngar Level 1

Thanks for the suggestion Derek, but I have CS4 installed on the same computer (thanks Pagemaker) and Ctrl-shift-enter is working fine there. I did investigate whether ctrl-shift-enter was assigned to any keyboard shortcuts, however, and it was assigned to the 'SWF previewer' which I never use. But alas, even after deleting that key combination it still refuses to add a new tab with ctrl-shift-enter. Does it work for you?

• 3. Re: Add new tab using keyboard - ctrl-shift-enter
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

You can assign it to whatever you like if you create a new custom shortcut set.

• 4. Re: Add new tab using keyboard - ctrl-shift-enter
                jbngar Level 1

Thanks Peter - if you can find a shortcut called 'create new tab' or similar in the keyboard shortcut assignment list I'd like to know where it is! It's not in the 'panel menus' or in any of the standard menus.

I can't find the ctrl-shift-enter shortcut documented anywhere, but it most certainly works in cs4. It's basically an extension of the standard 'apply the value but keep focus on the panel field' shortcut of 'shift-enter'. Can anyone out there perform a simple test in either cc or cs4 to confirm or deny this works or doesn't work without any special tweaking? For that matter, cs5 or cs6?

1. create a new document

2. press Ctrl-Shift-T to bring up the tabs panel

3. click in the white space of the ruler to create a new tab

4. while it is selected, highlight the text in the X-value box

5. change it to a different but sensible value (e.g. 20mm)

6. press shift-enter. The existing tab should move, and focus should stay in the X-value box

7. now change it to another value (e.g. 30mm) and press ctrl-shift-enter.

In CS4 for me step 7 produces a new tab whilst keeping focus, in CC it moves the existing one in the same way step 6 does.

I'd really like a way to quickly and accurately create multiple tab stops at my specified values without having to first click in the ruler to create the tab, and then double click in the X-value box to change the value of each one. It's even more troubling because that functionality USED to be there in the previous version...!

• 5. Re: Add new tab using keyboard - ctrl-shift-enter
                  Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

In Edit > Keyboard Shortcuts: Product Area: Type Menu > Insert Special Character > Other > Tab.

By default in CC 2015, this is unassigned. When I assigned Ctrl-Option (this is on a Mac), it worked to insert a tab in a table.

• 6. Re: Add new tab using keyboard - ctrl-shift-enter
                    jbngar Level 1

Thanks Steve - but I'm not talking about entering a tab CHARACTER in standard text (you can do this by pressing the tab key), I'm talking about creating a new tab STOP in the tabs panel, as per my step-by-step test instructions in the previous post.

• 7. Re: Add new tab using keyboard - ctrl-shift-enter
                      Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Sorry, I didn't read you comments well enough to understand what you wanted.

In Keyboard Shortcuts, functions relative to a panel are usually in the product area: Panel Menu, since this is pertinent to the Tabs panel. But I don't see an entry for that function there.

While I used CS4 way back, I don't recall ever seeing or hearing of that shortcut, but it was obviously something I missed. I have no idea why it would have been removed. But the program was totally rewritten between CS6 and CC, and it may have been dropped inadvertently. The re-writing was necessary to support the system calls in newer Macs and in making the application 64-bit.

• 8. Re: Add new tab using keyboard - ctrl-shift-enter

I just checked here and it still works in CC 2015 on Windows 7. What OS are you using?

And you are right, that shortcut is not assigned to anything in CS4, which makes me think it's an OS shortcut.

• 9. Re: Add new tab using keyboard - ctrl-shift-enter
                          jbngar Level 1

Thanks Peter

Are you 100% sure that ctrl-shift-enter creates a NEW tab and doesn't just shift the existing one?

I've spent the spare moments of the last day installing trials of various versions on a separate laptop and have discovered thusly:

* CS4 - works

* CS6 - works

* CC 2014 64-bit - doesn't work

* CC 2014 32-bit - doesn't work

* CC 2015 64-bit - doesn't work

I'm using Windows 10 on both machines - perhaps I need to dig up a Windows 7 box from somewhere to try.

If anyone has CC running on Windows 10 I'd be keen to see what happens for them when they try to add a tab stop using ctrl-shift-enter.

In the meantime I'm off to search 'what does ctrl-shift-enter do in windows 10'... although if it is an OS issue it's odd that it 'steals' the keyboard shortcut from CC but not from CS.

• 10. Re: Add new tab using keyboard - ctrl-shift-enter
                            jbngar Level 1

Okay the results are in from the windows 7 laptop with CC 2014 64-bit... doesn't work for me. In the tabs panel, selecting a tab stop, clicking in the X-value box, typing a new value and pressing ctrl-shift-enter simply moves the selected tab stop, it doesn't create a new one like it should.

I guess I'll have to grin and bear it!

• 11. Re: Add new tab using keyboard - ctrl-shift-enter

My apologies. I'm a bit preoccupied this week and I wasn't watching the ruler closely enough in CC 2015. The tab stop did move (or at least it is now when I checked again).

• 12. Re: Add new tab using keyboard - ctrl-shift-enter
                                Peter Kahrel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

jbngar: Never knew about that useful shortcut key. But I can replicate it: in CS6, Ctrl+Shift+Enter adds a new tab position in the Tabs panel, Shift+Enter moves the selected tab position. In CC, the two shortcuts have the same effect, the move the selected tab stop. What a shame. Looks like a bug to me. Please report it.

The strange thing is that as far as I can see it's not possible to set this shortcut in the KBS editor.

• 13. Re: Add new tab using keyboard - ctrl-shift-enter
                                  jbngar Level 1

Bug reported - we'll see how it goes. In the meantime I will struggle through life and its new requirement that my fingers now have to leave the keyboard to add new tab stops... ;-) Thanks for all your input guys.