8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2015 7:40 AM by trshaner

Undo mass preset accident.

Marcus Taylor_968

I recently discovered that sometime in October, I accidentally applied a preset to all of the images in my catalog for 2015 (about 15k images). I have been making changes since then, so there's no way for me to undo this mistake. And because the preset I applied changed several settings, I can't just globally apply a Reset Preset to undo it. Does anyone know if there is anyway to easily go back and remove the last preset or history item of a bunch of images? I found this script: How do I to mass-delete develop preset from selection of images?, and tried it on a duplicate copy of my catalog, but it didn't have any effect on the images. I assume that there have been some changes to the database in the last 5 years.

• 1. Re: Undo mass preset accident.
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you read the description of the script, it says it moves one step back in History, so it is to be run immediately after you’ve messed up.  This isn’t want you need since it happened a month or two, ago.

• 2. Re: Undo mass preset accident.
            Akash Sharma Adobe Employee

Hi,

Did you checked your backup catalogs(backed up before October)

You can choose a history state for pictures edited since October

Regards

Akash

• 3. Re: Undo mass preset accident.
              ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What is wanted is a way to delete steps out of the middle of the history, only those that resulted from the application of the preset, preserving the edits before and the edits after, not just roll back to the state things were in October.   I think the answer is it can’t be done with existing software provided by Adobe.

• 4. Re: Undo mass preset accident.
                trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Marcus Taylor_968 wrote:

I recently discovered that sometime in October, I accidentally applied a preset to all of the images in my catalog for 2015 (about 15k images). I have been making changes since then, so there's no way for me to undo this mistake. And because the preset I applied changed several settings, I can't just globally apply a Reset Preset to undo it.

What settings does the preset change? Knowing that it may be possible to "undo" some or all of the settings. Go to menu Edit> Preferences> Presets and click on 'Show Lightroom Presets Folder.' Open the Lightroom folder, then Develop Presets folder, and locate the preset in one the remaining folders. Open the .lrtemplate preset file with Notepad or TextEdit and then Copy & Paste the contents in your reply. Here's an example showing the 'Warm Skin Tone, Red.lrtemplate.'

s = {

id = "49E2DA06-E1AB-4AE8-9E13-77590E723214",

internalName = "Warm Skin Tone, Red",

title = "Warm Skin Tone, Red",

type = "Develop",

value = {

settings = {

ParametricDarks = 0,

ParametricHighlightSplit = 75,

ParametricHighlights = 0,

ParametricLights = 0,

ParametricMidtoneSplit = 50,

ParametricShadowSplit = 25,

ParametricShadows = 0,

ToneCurveName2012 = "Custom",

ToneCurvePV2012 = {

},

ToneCurvePV2012Blue = {

},

ToneCurvePV2012Green = {

},

ToneCurvePV2012Red = {

},

},

uuid = "BCB98615-63B6-4025-BE73-DECFDC3CD018",

},

version = 0,

}

• 5. Re: Undo mass preset accident.
                  Marcus Taylor_968 Level 1

I apologize if it wasn't clear. I have added other images to my catalog, but most of the images that i accidentally applied the preset to were untouched after I made the the mistake, it's just that I can't use an "undo" command to correct it since it's been a few months. The script I linked above would do exactly what I want (i.e. it would remove the last action from the develop history), but I've tried it and it doesn't work with my catalog.

My first thought was to simply restore these from an archive that predates the mistake, but for some reason I'm missing about 4 months of backups. So that solution will fix part of the problem, but still leaves me with a few months worth of photos that have the preset applied.

Unfortunately, applying an inverse preset doesn't solve the problem, because the preset I applied makes changes to all of the basic adjustments. But because all of these other images already had already been adjusted, the inverse preset would reset the image, rather than undoing one that was applied. Here's an example of what I mean. Let's say I have two images, one that I had originally edit and pushed the exposure to +0.5, and another that I left the exposure set at 0. When I accidentally applied the preset, both images had the exposure set to -0.25. How can I apply another preset that gets them back to their pre-accident state? A new preset that sets the exposure to 0 would leave the first image underexposed, while one that sets it to +0.5 would overexpose the second.

• 6. Re: Undo mass preset accident.

Marcus Taylor_968 wrote:

Here's an example of what I mean. Let's say I have two images, one that I had originally edit and pushed the exposure to +0.5, and another that I left the exposure set at 0. When I accidentally applied the preset, both images had the exposure set to -0.25. How can I apply another preset that gets them back to their pre-accident state? A new preset that sets the exposure to 0 would leave the first image underexposed, while one that sets it to +0.5 would overexpose the second.

Rob Cole created a LR plugin called 'ScrewAutoSync' to move back one-step in the History panel. Unfortunately, his website is no longer active and I'm not even sure it works with newer versions of LR:

Re: Batch History step back?

Here are instructions to do it using the SQLLite Utility with the script Rob Cole's plugin is based on:

http://lightroomsolutions.com/oh-xxxx/

• 7. Re: Undo mass preset accident.
                      Marcus Taylor_968 Level 1

This is the same approach linked in my original comment. The SQL doesn't execute correctly as written. I was able to tweak the code to allow it to execute correctly, and it did roll the history back to the previous step. Unfortunately, the previews stopped working as well, and deleting/rebuilding the previews crashes LR, even when I choose to rebuild the preview for just one image. It's looking like I'm just going to have to roll back the changes individually as needed.

• 8. Re: Undo mass preset accident.

Sorry to hear. The original script was written by Dorin Nicolaescu-Musteață back in 2010....over 5-years ago. A lot of changes have been made to LR since that time so not surprised some editing is required. Dorin hasn't been active in the LR forum for a while, but you can send him a PM and see if he has some other suggestions. dorin_nicolaescu