6 Replies Latest reply on May 12, 2006 3:32 PM by Rothrock

System.capabilites.version

codescodescodes Level 1
      Hi everyone. I was working on the System.capabilities.version method and I was curious as to what all those numbers mean. For example, when I run a trace on my own system, I get "Win 8, 0, 22, 0". In some of the text I've read, they don't give any mention of what the numbers represent. They just say that this method will return the Flash Player platform and version information. So I can understand the Win means Windows and the first number most likely represents the version of Flash Player, which is 8, but what do the other three numbers represent. Thanks for helping.
        • 1. Re: System.capabilites.version
          Level 7
          > In some of the text I've read, they
          > don't give any mention of what the numbers represent. They just say that
          this
          > method will return the Flash Player platform and version information

lol - and that *is* what they represent. The '8' represents the major Flash
          Player version, and the other numbers tell you the minor version. Flash
          Player is updated fairly regularly as bugs / problems become apparent, and
          the numbers following the 8 tell you exactly what version of Flash Player 8
          is installed.

--
          -------------------------------
          Remove '_spamkiller_' to mail
          -------------------------------

• 2. Re: System.capabilites.version
            Level 7
            codescodescodes wrote:
            > For example, when I run a trace on
            > my own system, I get "Win 8, 0, 22, 0".

Also, you might want to upgrade your Player to version 8.0.24 instead of
            8.0.22; I think there was a possible security flaw in that version and
            the upgrade is highly recommended.

(See this Security Bulletin from Adobe:
            http://www.adobe.com/devnet/security/security_zone/apsb06-03.html )
            • 3. Re: System.capabilites.version
              codescodescodes Level 1
              oh ok I see. Thanks for the info.
              • 4. Re: System.capabilites.version
                codescodescodes Level 1
                oh I ran into another concern when I tried to download the latest flash player like you suggested. After I downloaded it and I ran the same trace statement, I still got the output "Win 8,0,22,0". When I looked on the download page, it said "8,0,24,0". I tried restarting my computer after the installation and then running the trace statement again and still I get "Win 8,0,22,0". I also tried uninstalling the old version of flash on my computer and installing the new version then restarting again but still I get the same result. Not sure what is going on. Thanks for any help.
                • 5. Re: System.capabilites.version
                  Level 7
                  codescodescodes wrote:
                  > After I downloaded it and I ran the same trace statement,
                  > I still got the output "Win 8,0,22,0". When I looked on the download page, it
                  > said "8,0,24,0". I tried restarting my computer after the installation and
                  > then running the trace statement again and still I get "Win 8,0,22,0". I also
                  > tried uninstalling the old version of flash on my computer and installing the
                  > new version then restarting again but still I get the same result.

It looks like the player version doesn't change in the testing
                  environment when you do an upgrade through your browser.

If you create a test that (say) outputs the version info into a text
                  box, then publish and test it in your browser, you should get the new
                  version. For ex:

// button instance test_btn and dynamic text box test_txt on stage
                  test_btn.onRelease = function(){
                  test_txt.text = System.capabilities.version
                  }
                  trace(System.capabilities.version);

For me, the trace still comes up "Win 8,0,22,0" , but the browser test
                  shows "Win 8,0,24,0" in the text box.
                  • 6. Re: System.capabilites.version
                    Rothrock Level 5
                    ImagicDigital is correct. The version in the testing environment isn't updated. I've seen threads about this before and I think the end result was that the testing player can't be updated. But I don't really remember.