17 Replies Latest reply on Dec 22, 2016 7:21 AM by digital paradise

Auto-enabled lens correction ?

antoinevedel

Hi, I am currently using Lightroom 6.3 and as you know, lens sometimes create distortion.

Is there a way to automatically enable lens correction profile right after photos are imported?
      If yes, can I create that profile? Because right now, I first have to enable the "basic" profile and then I have to edit it in "manual" because "basic" is not enough. It takes a lot of time.

Thank you!

• 1. Re: Auto-enabled lens correction ?
          F. McLion Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can create a develop preset containing only the lens correction and apply this during import.

• 2. Re: Auto-enabled lens correction ?
            trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

antoinevedel wrote:

Hi, I am currently using Lightroom 6.3 and as you know, lens sometimes create distortion.

Is there a way to automatically enable lens correction profile right after photos are imported?
            If yes, can I create that profile? Because right now, I first have to enable the "basic" profile and then I have to edit it in "manual" because "basic" is not enough. It takes a lot of time.

Thank you!

By default the Lens Profile Distortion and Vignetting are both set 100 when first enabled. This should fully correct the image for those two defects without further adjustment. What "manual" adjustments are you applying to the image and why?

• 3. Re: Auto-enabled lens correction ?
              JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can either create a preset, or you can add your lens correction settings to your default settings for the camera.

• 4. Re: Auto-enabled lens correction ?
                antoinevedel Level 1

Thank you, I will keep you updated if that works.

How can you "apply this during import" though?

• 5. Re: Auto-enabled lens correction ?
                  antoinevedel Level 1

So l enable the basic settings than switch to manual and increase the distortion by 10. Then I check the box that crops it automatically and removes the white.

• 6. Re: Auto-enabled lens correction ?
                    antoinevedel Level 1

Thank you, I'll keep you updated if it works.

• 8. Re: Auto-enabled lens correction ?

antoinevedel wrote:

So l enable the basic settings than switch to manual and increase the distortion by 10. Then I check the box that crops it automatically and removes the white.

This shouldn't be necessary if the correct lens profile is being selected. What specific camera, lens, and file type (raw, JPEG) are you using? Also what 'Lens Profile' and 'Amount' settings are you using as shown below....

• 9. Re: Auto-enabled lens correction ?
                        antoinevedel Level 1

I manually increase the distortion because the automatic profile is not accurate enough.

I use a Nikon d610 with a 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5. I only shoot raw.

Capture d’écran 2015-12-16 à 16.34.25.png

• 10. Re: Auto-enabled lens correction ?

antoinevedel wrote:

I manually increase the distortion because the automatic profile is not accurate enough.

I use a Nikon d610 with a 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5. I only shoot raw.

Are you using the Nikkor 18-25mm F/3.5-4.5G lens or the older 18-25mm F/3.5-4.5D lens? The Adobe profile is for the newer G version.

AF-S NIKKOR 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G ED | NIKKOR D-SLR interchangeable lens from Nikon

AF Zoom-Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF-ED from Nikon

• 11. Re: Auto-enabled lens correction ?
                            antoinevedel Level 1

I have the G one.

Thank on everyone, my problem is solved!

• 12. Re: Auto-enabled lens correction ?
                              digital paradise

How do you do this? I took a series of shots at 100, 200, 400 and so on. Imported that folder to LR. I went into each file and tweaked some settings and activated and CA profile corrections. The lens the shots I took with came up. Then for each file I went to Develop - Set Default Settings - Update. All worked well. If a different lens was used the lens profile would open it. I keep that folder as my defaults master and do any changes from there. 

I noticed that it would not recognize my 100-400 II and 1.4 III TC. So in the Lens Correction palette I clicked on the list and it was there. I noticed Setup went from Default went to Custom. Am I supposed to use Save New Lens Profile Defaults in the Lens Correction Palette to go back to the top bar at Develop or both? I guess whatever I do I have to do it at each ISO default? 

Seems like it is working against itself. I tried a few things and it started to apply the 100-400 and 1.4 to no matter which lens was on the camera. Then I deleted that folder and made a new one to start over. Reshot all the ISO settings and imported again. I noticed it still remembered the previous tweaks. I just went through Develop, Set Defaults again but now it is recognizing the 100 - 400 and 1.4 when the T RC is not on the lens.

This is all a little confusing. I get what default and custom means in the Lens Correction palette but the procedure not clear and I can't find any detailed info.

Thanks i advance.                        

• 13. Re: Auto-enabled lens correction ?

digital paradise wrote:

How do you do this? I took a series of shots at 100, 200, 400 and so on. Imported that folder to LR. I went into each file and tweaked some settings and activated and CA profile corrections. The lens the shots I took with came up. Then for each file I went to Develop - Set Default Settings - Update. All worked well. If a different lens was used the lens profile would open it. I keep that folder as my defaults master and do any changes from there.

There should be no need to update the 'Default Develop settings' for each lens profile. If you want the Lens Profile to be applied as part of your 'Default Develop Settings click on the Master 'Reset' button at the bottom of the Develop settings panel. Next select the Lens Profile and make sure it is showing as 'Setup' = 'Default.' If not go to 'Setup' and select 'Save New Lens Profile Defaults. Next hold down the ALT key, click on the master Reset, and select 'Update to Current Settings.' Now all lenses will automatically have their 'Default' settings applied to the image file. If desired you can change the default Distortion and/or Vignetting settings from 100 and 100 following the same procedure for each lens individually.

digital paradise wrote:

I noticed that it would not recognize my 100-400 II and 1.4 III TC. So in the Lens Correction palette I clicked on the list and it was there. I noticed Setup went from Default went to Custom. Am I supposed to use Save New Lens Profile Defaults in the Lens Correction Palette to go back to the top bar at Develop or both?

Just as shown above select the Lens Profile and make sure it is showing as 'Setup' = 'Default.' If not go to 'Setup' and select 'Save New Lens Profile Defaults. Again, there is no need to update the 'Default Develop Settings,' just the Lens Profile so it shows as 'Default.' You'll need to do this with 100-400 II lens images shot with and without the 1.4 III TC so they both show as Default.' They should both then be automatically detected and the correct lens profile applied.

digital paradise wrote:

I guess whatever I do I have to do it at each ISO default?

This is only necessary if you have Preferences> Presets> 'Make defaults specific to camera ISO setting' checked. If you don't need this I suggest leaving it unchecked as below:

• 14. Re: Auto-enabled lens correction ?
                                  digital paradise Level 1

Hey I just started piecing that together re-reading Jim Hess's post. I think I was shooting myself in the foot by going back to Default Develop Settings. I thought I'd have to apply it to all the ISO defaults I set up.

The real pain was add and taking off the TC, adding other lenses for reference and cross referencing with Canon's DPP to make sure the lens and combos were actually what LR was telling me. It was switching back and forth between Default and Custom and you are trying to follow the pattern       

i just tried it and it seems to have worked. Simple but sometimes those are the hardest. Thanks very much.             

• 15. Re: Auto-enabled lens correction ?
                                    digital paradise Level 1

Thanks for the quick and helpful reply.

• 16. Re: Auto-enabled lens correction ?

digital paradise wrote:

The real pain was add and taking off the TC, adding other lenses for reference and cross referencing with Canon's DPP to make sure the lens and combos were actually what LR was telling me. It was switching back and forth between Default and Custom and you are trying to follow the pattern

Glad to help. If using more than one camera model (5D MKII, 5D MKIII, 6D, etc.) you'll have to follow the same procedure with image files from each model . If shooting with more than one camera of the same model AND you have the below 'Make defaults specific to camera serial number' checked you'll have to repeat the same process for each camera body.

• 17. Re: Auto-enabled lens correction ?
                                        digital paradise Level 1

Yes I have a 7D2 and set it up as well but never really ran into issues or noticed them because I rarely used the TC. I like to use all the focusing options it offers and I only get centre and 4 point expansion with the TC. Not that I can't  shoot with centre point, I just like using all the focusing options it offers and I can crop the the 7D2 a lot and not lose a lot of IQ.

I have owned all the the 5D's and recently picked up the 5D4. It offers all 61 AF points at F8 so I'm experimenting with the TC and I'm getting outstanding crops with it and my 100-400 II. I can hardly wait to do some BIF.

I set up the defaults to camera serial numbers for all my bodies long ago.

Thanks for all the help.