8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 16, 2015 1:53 PM by johnrellis

How do I enter keywords on the Develop Pane?

Scott Sobel Level 1

When I'm developing a series of photos, I will often want to add a keyword for a particular photo. Going back to the Library pane to do so breaks up the workflow. Is there some way to do this on the Develop pane without having to go back and forth to the Library pane?

Thanks,

Scott

• 1. Re: How do I enter keywords on the Develop Pane?
          dj_paige Level 9

Keywords cannot be added in the Develop Module.

You say going back to the Library module breaks up the workflow ... the alternative is to do all your keywording at one time, and all your developing at a different time.

• 2. Re: How do I enter keywords on the Develop Pane?
            john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

In general, you don't. Lightroom's series of workspaces are intended to guide you into doing different phases of the workflow in a more orderly fashion. If you want to add keywords when you're supposed to be adjusting, just use keyboard shortcuts like G (back to Library grid) and then Ctrl or Cmd K to go into keywords.

• 3. Re: How do I enter keywords on the Develop Pane?
              Scott Sobel Level 1

That works for some keywords, not for others. I like to keyword the species for my wildlife photos. Sometimes I can't tell from the thumbnail. Or, sometimes when I'm doing the developing, I'll notice that it's not a photo of a still subject, but a photo of some behavior and will want to tag the photo as such.

But, since it sounds as if there's no way to do this now, I would like to voice this as a request for enhancement.

• 4. Re: How do I enter keywords on the Develop Pane?
                JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The short answer is that you cannot enter keywords while in the develop module. You might want to consider using the loupe view it in the library module rather than the thumbnail view. That would give you a full sized editing view of each image. Unfortunately for you, adding keywords in Lightroom is a function of the library module.

• 5. Re: How do I enter keywords on the Develop Pane?
                  Scott Sobel Level 1

Thanks john beardsworth,

I do generally like keyboard shortcuts and that will make the task easier. I would still prefer to be able to change the keywords without having to leave the Develop workspace. Certainly, there are other things that can be changed on a photo that are not truly adjusting the appearance of the photo, such as ratings and flags. So, to me, it would definitely make sense to be able to tag the photo as well as flagging or rating it.

• 6. Re: How do I enter keywords on the Develop Pane?
                    dj_paige Level 9

That works for some keywords, not for others. I like to keyword the species for my wildlife photos. Sometimes I can't tell from the thumbnail. Or, sometimes when I'm doing the developing, I'll notice that it's not a photo of a still subject, but a photo of some behavior and will want to tag the photo as such.

As JimHess said, you can easily switch from grid view to loupe view (where you can add keywords), and go back and forth. Switch to Loupe view via pressing E, and back to Grid view via pressing G. Pretty simple, if you ask me.

• 7. Re: How do I enter keywords on the Develop Pane?
                      Scott Sobel Level 1

Thanks to all who answered thus far. All of the answers are technically correct. I admit workflow is far from my strong suit. I've never gotten a really good workflow going and do take a long time to process my photos. Given that wildlife photography, especially of smaller subjects like birds, often ends up with a fairly small image of the subject, being able to tag photos with keywords while developing would make my life easier. But, I do appreciate the suggestions and will hope that a future version may allow keywords to be added during the develop phase.

• 8. Re: How do I enter keywords on the Develop Pane?
                        johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

Scott, please add your vote and details about your feature request to this topic in the official Adobe feedback forum: Lightroom: Add keywords and other metadata in Develop module. The more specific details you provide about why you want the feature, the more likely you'll influence Adobe.

The Any Tag plugin lets you assign keywords in Develop and Map.  It's intended for fast keyboard entry of multi-word keywords from large controlled vocabularies, so it's not for everyone.