5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 16, 2015 9:01 AM by kbechtle116

How do I change the image edge color in CS6?

kbechtle116 Level 1

How can I change the color of the border or edges of an image when I place that image into an existing frame? Sometimes when I place an image, the frame around that image is a very light color, almost white. This is a problem when I have an image with a white background and I need to size by grabbing the handles. Sometimes I cannot see the edges or the handles of that image. I know you can change many of the guide colors but I can't find where to change the image edge color.

I have narrowed this down to the color of the layers in the layers palette. If my layer color is red, the frame edge color is red yet the image edge is a very light blue. If the layer color is black the image edge when placed is almost white, not even visible

Is there any way to keep the image edges just one consistent color?

Mac OSX 10.6.8

InDesign CS6

• 1. Re: How do I change the image edge color in CS6?
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

If you’re referring to the frame edge display that is determined by the color you’ve assigned to the layer.

That can be changed in the layers properties.

• 2. Re: How do I change the image edge color in CS6?
            kbechtle116 Level 1

Bob,

As described, I am talking about the edge of the image, not the frame

• 3. Re: How do I change the image edge color in CS6?
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I think you mean the image bounding box when selected with the direct select tool. That's also controlled by the layer color, but I can't tell you the algorithm used.

• 4. Re: How do I change the image edge color in CS6?
                John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'm pretty sure the only way to change that color is to change the layer's main color.

I'm the kind of geek who found this interesting enough to check into it some, and it appears the Adobe Engineers hard-wired each layer color with a "contrasting" direct-selected image edge-color. Once you know how they are paired, you can always set particular layer color for your image layer, thereby enjoying your choice of image-edge color. Here are the first 12 color pairings in order of default new-layer creation:

Layer Color     >    Image Edge Color

Lt Blue           >      Brown

Red                >      Cyan

Green             >      Purple

Blue               >      Yellow

Magenta         >      Dark Green

Cyan              >      Red

Orange           >      Blue

Dark Green     >      Magenta

Teal                >      Orange

Tan                 >      Black

Brown             >      Teal

Violet              >      Green

• 5. Re: How do I change the image edge color in CS6?
                  kbechtle116 Level 1

John,

I think you are correct that there is no way to change the image edge color or as Peter correctly identified it as "image bounding box". But you have helped by identifying the color combinations of the layers. I will keep away from the layer colors that give me a light bounding box color. Unfortunately black is a layer color I like to use and that seems to give the lightest bounding box color. It's very rare that I create a file that has 12 layers so I will be printing out your list and referencing it often.

Thanks