8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 16, 2015 1:06 PM by BramvanOosterhout

Lost a .dll file to make my GPU work

BramvanOosterhout Level 1

Dear Adobe After Effects users,

A time ago I found a .dll which made it possible to use my GPU (GTX 980 Ti) for Adobe 3D Ray Tracing.

But I lost it, does someone have this file for me? If you are not able to share it here, add me on Skype please; Showtec1998.

- Bram

• 1. Re: Lost a .dll file to make my GPU work
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you're on CC, the latest update (13.6) includes the new Optix library, so that card should work without any weird hacks.

• 2. Re: Lost a .dll file to make my GPU work

Well that's strange. I am rendering a project with some Trapcode plug-ins but it goes extremely slow.

The CPU is only on ~30% and there are no bottlenecks.

Screenshots of project and takmanager:

- imgur. com/a/65Vsx

(Copy and paste it, remove the blank space between the dot, and com.)

Normally the CPU will be at 99% when rendering. This is very sad, it will take around 5 hours with this speed, instead of 1 tot 2 hours with a 100% load.

• 3. Re: Lost a .dll file to make my GPU work

I can't access Imgur due to restrictions on the network where I work. Just drag your screenshots to the reply window to upload them here.

Your questions about the ray-traced renderer and Trapcode plugins seem to be unrelated. The ray-traced renderer has nothing to do with Trapcode plugins. Unless you're using the ray-traced renderer to create 3d objects natively, use the standard renderer. What version of AE are you using? I usually work in CC 2015 (because it's snappier and has better expression handling) and then render in CC 2014 (because it has multiprocessing).

And I never use the ray-traced renderer because it is obsolete: http://motionworks.net/after-effects-3d-future/

• 4. Re: Lost a .dll file to make my GPU work

Well I asked the wrong question, sorry.

I want to render my project but why does the CPU do not get to the 100% it should?

This is frustrating because it can go up to almost 3,5 times faster than this.

bvEJben.png4JaCtXY.png

EDIT:

"GPU (Unsupported) Will this work because of the box I checked?

bdaa92b219.png

• 5. Re: Lost a .dll file to make my GPU work

Yes, that checkbox will make that GPU work to accelerate the ray-traced renderer, if you really wish to use that feature. Again, it's a dead feature and I wouldn't recommend even using it.

Your composition is set to use the standard renderer, right? As you don't have any layers there using the ray-traced renderer, it's just going to slow you down.

As I hinted in my last post, CC 2015 doesn't have multiprocessing. I'd suggest opening your project file in AE CC 2014 and render an intermediate file out of it using multiprocessing. Then you can drop the resulting file in the Adobe Media Encoder to create your H.264 deliverable.

• 6. Re: Lost a .dll file to make my GPU work

So what I need to do is:

1. Open my project in CC 2014

2. Render it (with render queue or media encoder H.264?)

3. Render it again with H.264 in media encoder?

(Sorry my English is not that good.)

How do I need to downgrade to AE CC 2014? Won't there be problemens with openeing CC 2015 files in CC 2014?

(My biggest problem is the CPU usage, I want that to be at a 100%, efficient.)

• 7. Re: Lost a .dll file to make my GPU work

BramvanOosterhout wrote:

So what I need to do is:

1. Open my project in CC 2014

2. Render it (with render queue or media encoder H.264?)

3. Render it again with H.264 in media encoder?

No! Sorry, I didn't explain it very well. You don't want to compress twice. H.264 should only ever be used as your final step!

Render from the render queue in AE CC 2014 as an intermediate file. This would be something like Cineform, DNxHD, QuickTime with the PNG codec, QuickTime with the Photo-JPEG codec, or something similar. Basically you want a lossless (or close to lossless) file from AE.

Then you take that lossless file into the Adobe Media Encoder to create your deliverable.

BramvanOosterhout wrote:

How do I need to downgrade to AE CC 2014? Won't there be problemens with openeing CC 2015 files in CC 2014?

You aren't really downgrading. You're just installing an old version alongside the new one.

This page explains how: How to Find and Install Previous Version of Adobe Apps in CC 2015

BramvanOosterhout wrote:

(My biggest problem is the CPU usage, I want that to be at a 100%, efficient.)

You might never be able to get to this no matter what you have. AE is notoriously difficult to wrangle this way. There could be bottlenecks in places you don't even think to look sometimes. In AE's current state, some things are just single-threaded no matter what you do. So one core will be cranking away while the others are fairly idle. Or the RAM might be maxed out. Or the hard drive might not be delivering data fast enough...

• 8. Re: Lost a .dll file to make my GPU work

Thank you! Super nice!