21 Replies Latest reply on Dec 16, 2015 5:55 PM by ManiacJoe

Loss of quality in export

andmiller89

When I export a group of pictures, the landscape oriented exports look great but the vertical ones look blurry.  Same settings, i have the "resize to fit" box unchecked.  Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Loss of quality in export
          ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

Mac or Windows? What version?

From the About dialog, what exact version (x.y.z) of Lightroom?

What program are you viewing the exported images in?

Blurry in what way?

• 2. Re: Loss of quality in export
            Mrinmay Majhi Adobe Employee

Hi andmiller,

Please enable Don't Enlarge check box in Image Sizing and check for the issue.

~Mrinmay

• 3. Re: Loss of quality in export
              andmiller89 Level 1

Windows 10, lightroom 4.4.1

i am just viewing them through "photos" in windows.

they are just blurry.  the color quality is there, but lines are not crisp, they are very blurry unlike the original.  whether i use a watermark or not. but not for the landscape pics.  I exported some of these verticals yesterday the same way and it did not do this

• 4. Re: Loss of quality in export
                andmiller89 Level 1

Majhi-

this seems to work.  however it requires me to select "resize to fit" by long edge, dimensions, megapixels, etc.  Do you have a recommendation on which of these to choose  I had by dimensions selected and it looks to turn out well

• 5. Re: Loss of quality in export
                  andmiller89 Level 1

still blurry actually.  seemed to work on that one photo. It's inconsistent, i dont understand

• 6. Re: Loss of quality in export

What are the pixel dimensions of the original files?

What are the pixel dimensions of the exported files?

What are your Export settings?

• 7. Re: Loss of quality in export
                      dj_paige Level 9

With "Resize to Fit" unchecked (as was stated in the original message), the sharpness/blurriness of the photos should not be worse when exported, it should match what you see in Lightroom.

I suspect your photo viewer is the culprit somehow.

What is the cropped size in pixels (width and height) before you export one of these vertical orientation photos?

Are you specifying sharpening in the Export dialog box?

• 8. Re: Loss of quality in export
                        andmiller89 Level 1

the pixel dimensions are at 12960 x 8640. I do not have sharpening selected

I will try a different viewer

• 9. Re: Loss of quality in export
                          dj_paige Level 9

And how did you get a photo that was this large? It didn't come out of a camera this large. Is it a panorama, or a scan, or what? Please explain.

Also please clarify, this must be the dimensions before export, right?

• 10. Re: Loss of quality in export
                            andmiller89 Level 1

It's straight from my Nikon camera -> nikon viewer-> lightroom.  When I select "resize to fit" and dimensions, those are the numbers that default in there.  And yes, that is in the export window options

• 11. Re: Loss of quality in export
                              dj_paige Level 9

andmiller89 wrote:

It's straight from my Nikon camera -> nikon viewer-> lightroom.  When I select "resize to fit" and dimensions, those are the numbers that default in there.  And yes, that is in the export window options

But you said you were having this problem with "Resize to Fit" unchecked.

Nikon cameras don't take photos that large. What actions did Nikon Viewer perform in this workflow?

• 12. Re: Loss of quality in export
                                andmiller89 Level 1

Problem seems to be the same with it checked and unchecked

• 13. Re: Loss of quality in export
                                  dj_paige Level 9

Listen, I'm still not clear on exactly what is happening here.

I want to know the pixel dimensions BEFORE you export. Nikon cameras cannot take photos that large. Please state what camera you are using. Please look in the Metadata panel of Lightroom's Library Module and tell me the cropped size in pixels (width and height) of the photo.

• 14. Re: Loss of quality in export
                                    andmiller89 Level 1

I use a Nikon D5100.  The size under the metadata panel in the orig photo in lightroom is 3624 x 4928

• 15. Re: Loss of quality in export
                                      Per Berntsen Adobe Community Professional

If you are really exporting to 12960 x 8640, no wonder they are blurry.

Is it possible that you mean 1296 x 864?

• 16. Re: Loss of quality in export
                                        andmiller89 Level 1

thats what the default selection is when I check "resize to dimensions" I normally export with "resize" unchecked.  I was trying to click the checkbox to get rid of the blurriness. Do you have a suggestion to resize to other dimensions?

• 17. Re: Loss of quality in export
                                          thats what the default selection is when I check "resize to dimensions"

Do you mean 12960 x 8640 or 1296 x 864?

What's the the intended use of the image?

In general, the sharpness of an image can only be properly evaluated at 100% view. If it is too big to fit in the window, the viewer has to scale it, and different viewers use different algorithms for scaling. In addition, a horizontal and a vertical image would also be scaled to different percenatges, and would probably appear to have different sharpness. even if equally sharp when viewed at 100%.

• 18. Re: Loss of quality in export
                                            andmiller89 Level 1

12960 x 8640. So you make it sound like this is way too big, or way too many pixels? To where it will blur the image when it is sized?  Strange how it defaults to this.  Would you recommend keeping the "resize" option un-checked?

I uploaded these "blurry" pics to google drive and they don't appear blurry.  Maybe this is my viewer with the vertical pictures.

I primarily use them to print, but am currently uploading them to a website

• 19. Re: Loss of quality in export

12960 x 8640 is enormous, you can print that at 43.2 x 28.8 inches at 300 ppi. But the quality would not be good, because most of the pixels in the image would have to be invented by resampling. Think about it, your original only has 4928 x 3624 pixels.

Your export settings should reflect the purpose of the export.

If for print, enter the dimenions in inches or cm, and the required ppi - ususally 300.

You an easily figure out how big the image will print without the need for resampling (inventing pixels) - divide pixel dimensions by 300, and you get the print size in inches (at 300 ppi).

If 200 ppi is sufficient, you can make a bigger print.

For web images, try 1000 pixels on the long side, and see how that works out.

In this context, ppi is irrelevant - it only comes into play when printing.

• 20. Re: Loss of quality in export
                                                andmiller89 Level 1

Ok that's starting to make sense.

So for example, my original photos are 4928 x 3624 pixels.

4928 / 300 = roughly 16 inches.

3624 / 300 = roughly 12 inches.  Does this mean that with these pixels, at 300 ppi, I could print a 16 x 12?

What if I wanted a bigger print without losing quality?

• 21. Re: Loss of quality in export

Yes, your 4928x3624 pixel image will easily give you a 16x12 at 300 ppi/dpi.

If you want a bigger print, you can easily drop to 220 ppi and get a 22x16.

If you drop below 200 ppi, you may start to see some quality issues depending on how good your eyes are. Below 150 ppi things can start to fall apart.

Keep in mind that the bigger you print, the further away you need to stand just to see the image, so a lower ppi does not necessarily harm things. However, at some point for a bigger print you will need to up-res the image which will then invent pixels.