5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 16, 2015 3:36 PM by Derek Cross

Book Becomes Invisible

CyberAmazon54 Level 1

Updated to Windows 10 and Adobe CC. The Book disappears the first time I open a file within it. I think it has closed and try to reopen it. Nothing happens. But when I close InDesign, I am asked if I want to save the changes made to the Book. So it is running somewhere, but I cannot see it to use after opening a single file from it.

Note that it ran as expected upon first installation of Adobe CC. However, InDesign requested an update almost daily for a week. At some point in all of that, I lost functionality of the Book feature in InDesign.

Any help?

• 1. Re: Book Becomes Invisible
          Derek Cross Level 6

Maybe you should try trashing your InDesign preferences to see if that helps.

• 2. Re: Book Becomes Invisible
            CyberAmazon54 Level 1

TY, Derek, for your immediate reply. I don't think I have made any changes to the InDesign preferences in all of this, so they should be still at default settings. I am willing to try anything as I work in Books constantly and this new development is annoying... and counter productive to the way I work. When you say "trashing your InDesign preferences", what do you mean by that? How can I do that?

• 3. Re: Book Becomes Invisible
              Derek Cross Level 6

There is a quick and easy method for doing this using the keyboard: close and relaunch InDesign, and IMMEDIATELY hold down Ctrl + Alt + Shift (Windows) or Cmd + Ctrl + Opt + Shift (Mac), and respond in the affirmative to the dialog asking if you really want to replace the preferences. There are two downsides to this method, however. First, you must be extremely fast on the keyboard (if you don’t see the confirmation prompt, you were too slow), and second, anytime you replace the preferences you will lose most program customizations, and using the keyboard method leaves you with no backup to restore them when the problem turns out to be something else.

(Copied from Troubleshooting at the top of this page)

• 4. Re: Book Becomes Invisible
                CyberAmazon54 Level 1

You got to be QUICK! Did as you instructed, Derek. Perfect! I'm back in the Book business! TYSM!

• 5. Re: Book Becomes Invisible
                  Derek Cross Level 6

Great! It clears application corruptions. I had to do it the other day with Photoshop.