7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 22, 2015 3:37 AM by Eliran S

Yet another setup advice - New build I7-5930K

Eliran S

Hi all,

I'm building a new editing rig and I need some advice, I'll be glad if someone can look over it and check I didn't miss anything.

• Software being used
        • Adobe Premiere CC
        • Media Encoder - export to dvd + h264
        • Media Encore - building menus
        • AE will be used in the future
      • Editing 40 minutes films, loaded with effects (Both premiere's and 3rd party such as Red Giant)
      • Footage:
        • Currently - various footage from various cameras as I'm working with multiple video photographers.
        • It's mainly DSLR and GOPRO, and the size is roughly 100-200 GB per movie.
        • Future proofing - editing 4k footage

Open questions

• Is it balanced?
      • will it be enough for 4k?
      • Will I need to buy additional graphic card?
      • I don't know much about coolers, I'll appreciate your help with that.
        • For the time being I just picked the noctua for the CPU alone - I'm not even sure it fits the case
        • What about additional cooling?
      • I'm reusing "Old" hard drives, do you think it's ok? or that's not a good place to save. I don't want to create a bottle neck after all this purchase.
        • OS / software software - SAMSUNG 850 PRO 128GB
        • Scratch disk - Raid of 2 * Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB
        • Offline files / backup -  2 * Western Digital Caviar Green  2TB
        • Work disk is the new 950 listed down

Build

CPU: Intel Core i7-5930K 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Asus X99-DELUXE/U3.1 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3000 Memory

Storage: Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Superclocked+ ACX 2.0+ Video Card

Case: Antec Nineteen Hundred Red ATX Full Tower Case

Power Supply: Antec 1300W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

The budget was stretched to build this rig, so please be gentle with your recommendations

Any help will be HIGHLY appreciated.

Edit:

Should I downgrade to 5820 & 99x-a MOBO and add a 2nd SSD for media?

Regards,

Eliran.

• 1. Re: Yet another setup advice - New build I7-5930K
          Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Great build.

With your extremely fast 950 Pro you do not need a separate media drive if you downgrade to the the 5820 you loose future PCIe expandability going from 40 lanes to only 28.  Make sure that Noctua cooler will fit in your case.  I doubt that your RAID 0 scratch disk will even be of any assistance.  My 5960 has only two SSD's.(That's PERIOD)    I will via plugin eSATA access disk drives.

• 2. Re: Yet another setup advice - New build I7-5930K
            RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

the 5820k is a better play for now, to allow upgrading the cpu to broadwell-e 8 or 10 core later. the 28 pcie lanes would limit the system to 3 video cards or other 8x pcie device cards and 1 pcie ssd at 4x, or 1 video card at 16x, (1) 8x pcie device card, and (1) 4x pcie ssd. if you need more lanes right now, before a broadwell-e upgrade, the 40 lane cpu is the way to go. antec cases are pretty lousy, i would suggest looking at fractal design, phanteks, or corsair. the single gtx 980 ti card should be enough for the projects/media you describe. additional cooling will depend on the overclock and gear. normally two fans are enough for a basic system, but overclocking and m.2 ssd's can use more cooling. non blower style (single fan exhausting out the back of the case) gpu fans that exhaust air inside the case also add to extra heat demands. many cases from the mfg's i listed above have spots for lots of fans, often around 6-8+. sometimes placing a fan inside the case pointed directly at the m.2 ssd will help it from thermal throttling.

• 3. Re: Yet another setup advice - New build I7-5930K
              Eliran S Level 1

Thanks for answering.

Bill,

Thanks for the feedback regarding the hard disk setup., I'll take that advice.

Ronin,

• As for the Case  -  I agree, I already own one fractal design case and I'm very satisfied from it.
                I was selecting Antec's case since the store stopped working with fractal, but I'll guess I will buy it at another store.
              • As for the CPU - thanks for elaborating on the lanes Bill mentioned.
                I admit, currently I'm not sure which way I'll go with it, since I'm not sure what I'll be upgrading next.

So my open Questions are ATM:

Going with the initial setup, will it cover 4k editing? or I'll need to upgrade ?

If upgrade will be needed, what's first?

Based on the answers i'll know which way to go, 5820 or stay with the 5930.

Thanks!

• 4. Re: Yet another setup advice - New build I7-5930K

i've seen benchmarks of the 5820k once overclocked, performing similar to the 5930k. so to me the upgrade to the 5930k is only for pcie lanes. if you are looking for faster, the 8 core 5960x is the next setup up, but over 2x the price. if needing that performance, i would try to use the 5820k as a temporary holdover, just to get to broadwell-e 10-core. it is rumored for q2 2016 release.

will it cover 4k editing?  read this recent post:

Re: First PC Build - GoPro 4K Video Editing Using Premiere Pro and AE - Opinions

One word: glorious! The 4K video editing is out of this world. Videos in the source and program monitors are played at "full" resolution with zero dropped frames. Color grading and color correction is amazing too. I can manipulate every setting and see it change while video is playing. Rendering is lighting fast, seconds for a 2 min clip. Encoding is super fast.

what to upgrade next?  we can only try to recommend a balanced build based off your projects and media. if you have the system up and running you would be able to see where the bottleneck is by using performance monitoring programs. premiere and most of adobe's software mostly depend on the cpu. since you have the gtx 980 ti and samsung 950, the next upgrade would most likely be the cpu. if the 5820k isn't enough, the broadwell-e 8 core at $600-ish or 10 core at $1k-ish will be the next cpu upgrade. the only faster cpu upgrade option for the asus x99 mbd would be a xeon, but that would be very expensive and require ecc memory. after broadwell-e/ep any next gen cpu's will require a new motherboard.

• 5. Re: Yet another setup advice - New build I7-5930K
                  Eliran S Level 1

Thank you very much Ronin.

That's what I was going for with my open questions and you summed it up quite well.

I'll go with 5820, save the money ATM, and later I'll upgrade the CPU.

One last thing, is the motherboard too much?

The ASUS X99-A is almost half the price, and I'm not sure I'll use all the capabilities the deluxe got.

Am I missing anything?

Regards

• 6. Re: Yet another setup advice - New build I7-5930K

if you don't see any extra features of the deluxe you want/need, you may be fine with the x99-A. if you look at the manuals for each one you can see which pcie slot would be disabled when using the m.2 pcie ssd. the deluxe seems to have a better pcie slot layout and assignment, mostly for 3 video cards and to use the cpu pcie lanes. if you added a second video card the x99-a would only have a single x16 slot left over for other single slot cards. the deluxe looks like it would have two x16 slots available by placing the second video card in the second to last pcie slot.

• 7. Re: Yet another setup advice - New build I7-5930K
                      Eliran S Level 1

Thanks Ronin,

After some more reading, I'll go with the x99-a usb 3.1 model.

I didn't see the need to upgrade to the deluxe model.

Regards,

Eliran.